Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you've realised the EU would stitch the UK up. Welcome to the party. Better late than never I suppose.

It’s supposed to be a negotiation. Compromises will be needed from both sides. I think the French in particular with regard to the fishing quotas will want their cake and want to eat it as well. That’s not a compromise. If they are willing to compromise though a deal will be a possibility.

I’m a realist and I work with what I’ve got, not what I wish I had but haven’t got.

If the EU want a deal, they have to agree to concede what are vital interests to us economically. I don’t think the French are at all happy to do that.

For some nations and I’m talking primarily about the French, the fact that we’ve left will be a reason to stick the boot into us on a permanent basis if they are able to do so. I might be pro European but I’m not a mug and it’s either a deal that works for us or we walk away.

As far as I’m concerned, the ball is pretty much in their side of the court.

So it’s not a question of better late than never. It’s a question of getting the best deal for the UK in the circumstances. At 65 years of age, I could sit on my backside and not give a toss what they all do.

I do give a toss though because I do care about my children and my grandchildren and I also do care about the UK and all of our futures.

Some people want to turn this country into a vehicle to enrich themselves at the expense of the rest of us. I want to turn this country into a place where we can all prosper. The right deal with the EU will help us do that. If it’s not the right deal, they can poke it and we’ll go and do our own thing.

To me it’s a question of what strategy will we need once the future direction is set in place.

Last edited:
It’s supposed to be a negotiation. Compromises will be needed from both sides. I think the French in particular with regard to the fishing quotas will want their cake and want to eat it as well. That’s not a compromise. If they are willing to compromise though a deal will be a possibility.

I’m a realist and I work with what I’ve got, not what I wish I had but haven’t got.

If the EU want a deal, they have to agree to concede what are vital interests to us economically. I don’t think the French are at all happy to do that.

For some nations and I’m talking primarily about the French, the fact that we’ve left will be a reason to stick the boot into us on a permanent basis if they are able to do so. I might be pro European but I’m not a mug and it’s either a deal that works for us or we walk away.

So it’s not a question of better late than never. It’s a question of getting the best deal for the UK in the circumstances. At 65 years of age, I could sit on my backside and not give a toss what they all do.

I do give a toss though because I do care about my children and my grandchildren and I also do care about the UK and all of our futures.

Some people want to turn this country into vehicle to enrich themselves at the expense of the rest of us. I want to turn this country into a place where we can all prosper. The right deal with the EU will help us do that. If it’s not the right deal, they can poke it and we’ll go and do our own thing.

To me it’s a question of what strategy will we need once the future direction is set in place.
As has been amply demonstrated by the EU in the past four years that 'negotiation' means the other side giving the EU what it wants and nothing given by the EU. Even when PMTM was bending over backwards to give the EU everything they wanted, it was still not enough.

Strangely, however, this is not actually news as that is the EU "negotiation" stance at all times. We have just wasted four years proving the obvious!

Some people want to turn this country into a vehicle to enrich themselves at the expense of the rest of us. I want to turn this country into a place where we can all prosper. The right deal with the EU will help us do that. If it’s not the right deal, they can poke it and we’ll go and do our own thing.

Marxist piffle.
Stick to supporting McDonnell and your Labour friends. They won't get a look in on how Brexit unfolds, happily, or they would have sold us down the river and kept us in a single market.
You have no victory here with Brexit, you Marxists are along for the ride.

As has been amply demonstrated by the EU in the past four years that 'negotiation' means the other side giving the EU what it wants and nothing given by the EU. Even when PMTM was bending over backwards to give the EU everything they wanted, it was still not enough.

Strangely, however, this is not actually news as that is the EU "negotiation" stance at all times. We have just wasted four years proving the obvious!
Indeed, dragged down by the Marxists like @rgjbloke in opposition who have fought every move to deliver Brexit, now here they are trying to claim some sort of victory.

Well you lot might be going back soon anyway. If the nationalists get their second once in a generation independence vote in the next year or two, isn’t the first thing on the to do list going to be knocking on the EU door and telling them you’re nothing to do with those nasty English people anymore and you want to rejoin the club?!

So I’d keep your powder dry if I was you! :)

reading between the lines it seems like Barnier has thrown in the towel. Boris is putting a good word for him with VDL because basically Barnier has been limited by Juncker's Policy. This means we will probably leave on WTO with Fresh negotiations in the New year as permitted under WTO rules. Of course anything can change. It just shows the madness of Cameron accepting Junckers rules in the first place, article 50 should have been consigned at the first opportunity, it was always a nonsense to have 28 people deciding what you can and can't do-you leave -that's it. On the other Hand perhaps Parliament can raise a new memorial to those who signed the 73 act TFEU. There is no word that can describe those people including Heath in my dictionary. I was never against trade aspects- but they never told us the rest.

Well you lot might be going back soon anyway. If the nationalists get their second once in a generation independence vote in the next year or two, isn’t the first thing on the to do list going to be knocking on the EU door and telling them you’re nothing to do with those nasty English people anymore and you want to rejoin the club?!

Had to give that a funny since it was mostly SNP supporters that voted no 4 years ago. They are only playing the EU card to have a go against Westminster, funny how they were against the EU when it suited them years ago.

Assuming that the Scotch [sic] get their indyref2 and assuming the majority vote to leave the union* then Jockistan’s membership of the EU will be but a micro dot of light at the end of a very very long tunnel of EU bureaucracy and the associated conditions of entry.

*hopefully (unlike as happened with the EUref) their democratic voice will be heard and acted upon properly and with respect for both sides should they choose independence.

reading between the lines it seems like Barnier has thrown in the towel. Boris is putting a good word for him with VDL because basically Barnier has been limited by Juncker's Policy. This means we will probably leave on WTO with Fresh negotiations in the New year as permitted under WTO rules. Of course anything can change. It just shows the madness of Cameron accepting Junckers rules in the first place, article 50 should have been consigned at the first opportunity, it was always a nonsense to have 28 people deciding what you can and can't do-you leave -that's it. On the other Hand perhaps Parliament can raise a new memorial to those who signed the 73 act TFEU. There is no word that can describe those people including Heath in my dictionary. I was never against trade aspects- but they never told us the rest.

Let's see how today's talks between Boris and VDL go. I suspect we are about to see whether the French or Germans will wear the trousers in the post-UK EU....

Let's see how today's talks between Boris and VDL go. I suspect we are about to see whether the French or Germans will wear the trousers in the post-UK EU....
Likened to Bad cop good cop on Euronews last night, it’s as clear as a pikestaff that Barnier was got at by Macron serving French not EU interests.But it runs in tandem with Juncker’s demand for control of Soverignty. I was always clear one can’t go both ways. The EU could wind up with an internal credibility problem with Italy, Poland and Hungary. Only to be reinforced by EU demands to BeloRussia, my thoughts being or what?

Wot having been told they will not get residual rights, will have to accept the Euro even if accepted. I know that Caviar comes from Sturgeons, but I don’t think for one minute they really have a death wish. Now Salmons have one built in.

Thirty years prior to Dennis Healy being Chancellor of the Exchequer he was a member of the Communist Party of GB. It didn't make him a communist in the 70's though

A propos of nothing, but I suspect Boris might have employed him as the negotiator with Barnier. When negotiating with the IMF in 1976, it is on the record that when Dr Johannes Wittveen (head of the IMF) attempted to impose last minute additional conditions on the loan ‘the Chancellor said that Dr Wittveen could take a running jump.’

The additional conditions were dropped...

Wot having been told they will not get residual rights, will have to accept the Euro even if accepted. I know that Caviar comes from Sturgeons, but I don’t think for one minute they really have a death wish. Now Salmons have one built in.

Think again!

You forget that we would have to meet certain criteria to join, not re-join, we do not meet those criteria

Someone had better break that news to the SNP.

We would hate them to have a policy that can’t be carried out.

Presumably, they’d bin it so the voters weren’t misled!

Status
Not open for further replies.