Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I happen to think it was as good as it could be. Business in particular was getting back to business a good deal earlier than the easing of public restrictions. For instance a major local housing developer was back to 80% productivity a good couple of weeks before pubs opened.

This anomaly is entirely due to the thick media, who only used pubs opening as the metric, whereas the government guidance and advice to businesses has been timely, comprehensive, sensible and helpful. And utterly un noticed by the media.

There are exceptions. The banks, charged with administering emergency business funding have been abysmal. As have DVSA who have been as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise. And others probably. On the whole though things are cracking on in the new normal.
Well Q3 and Q4 will be important to watch.
Do you think you folks will have any sort of American style stimulus where the masses get a lump sump deposited in their accounts go fritter away?

London Evening Standard
Interesting mix of leadership for this rag...

• Owner - Alexander Lebedev who also owns the Independent - as a KGB spy, he was based at the Russian embassy in London from 1988. He worked for the KGB's successor, the Foreign Intelligence Service, until 1992.
  • Editor in chief - none other than arch remainer, George Gideon Oliver Osborne
  • Editor - Emily Sheffield, who began her career as a graduate news trainee at the Guardian newspaper. She joined the board of Koovs, the Indian fashion website and retailer, in 2014. The firm was established by Labour Party peer Lord Alli after he left ASOS plc. Her sister Samantha is married to Chief arch remainer David Cameron. Claims to have only voted Conservative for her BiL.
Emily Sheffield - Can I Join the labour Party?

Interesting mix of leadership for this rag...

• Owner - Alexander Lebedev who also owns the Independent - as a KGB spy, he was based at the Russian embassy in London from 1988. He worked for the KGB's successor, the Foreign Intelligence Service, until 1992.
  • Editor in chief - none other than arch remainer, George Gideon Oliver Osborne
  • Editor - Emily Sheffield, who began her career as a graduate news trainee at the Guardian newspaper. She joined the board of Koovs, the Indian fashion website and retailer, in 2014. The firm was established by Labour Party peer Lord Alli after he left ASOS plc. Her sister Samantha is married to Chief arch remainer David Cameron. Claims to have only voted Conservative for her BiL.
Emily Sheffield - Can I Join the labour Party?
It certainly is a mish-mash. It seems that the wings of the two major parties have drawn so far apart, internal politicking is now the game of choice. Time for breaking them up perhaps, though that would increase the chance of coalition governments with small (potentially single-issue) parties able to play 'kingmaker' and hold much greater influence than their voter support base should allow?

'Emily Sheffield, Samantha Cameron’s sister and Deputy Editor of British Vogue...'

Overall, The LES has a right-wing editorial bias and right-center news reporting bias. (D. Van Zandt 7/21/2017) Updated (6/14/2018)

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
It certainly is a mish-mash. It seems that the wings of the two major parties have drawn so far apart, internal politicking is now the game of choice. Time for breaking them up perhaps, though that would increase the chance of coalition governments with small (potentially single-issue) parties able to play 'kingmaker' and hold much greater influence than their voter support base should allow?

'Emily Sheffield, Samantha Cameron’s sister and Deputy Editor of British Vogue...'

Overall, The LES has a right-wing editorial bias and right-center news reporting bias. (D. Van Zandt 7/21/2017) Updated (6/14/2018)
Overall the LES has a hand-wringing liberal elitist news reporting bias (truxx just now)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sits nicely here:
"Cutting through the political Twitter noise, economist Daniel Lacalle has pointed out that the UK’s bounce back appears to be faster than the Euro-area and OECD countries as a whole."

Oh dear, there will be some on here going Facts Grrrrr!

With highs of 33° expected AGAIN today, it's time to ask "could the government have done more?" Downing Street knew about this heatwave weeks ago and have done nothing. Shipments of 400,000 pairs of Speedos and 500,000 bikinis, sun cream and Cornettos have reportedly been sent back as unsafe after media claims the shipment was quarantined a month ago and Boris did nothing.

Karen from Chavington said, "We just don't know if it's safe to go outside and sunbathe because we can't function or think for ourselves. Boris hasn't told us either way and all my obese kids need ice cream and sweets, the Hubby can't get out to rob anyone so we're out of lager and weed, I blame the government entirely"

Meanwhile, anti- heat protesters dressed in thick jumpers chanting "we can't breath" have marched on London, Big Ben has been removed and a giant Mint Feast put in its place by protesters.

The BBC reported earlier, "clearly the sun has come out and Downing street have done nothing to prevent it.
A second heat Wave is expected to hit the UK in 4 weeks time."

Boris Grrrrrrr

UK isn't doing well thanks to Covid.
Best get my shekels out into an economy unaffected by it....

....bugger.....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought there was a determination by the Chancellor to wind it up but calls by some opposition to extend it.
The very same opposition who will complain that the Chancellor is wasting taxpayers money.

UK isn't doing well thanks to Covid.
Best get my shekels out into an economy unaffected by it....
Did that last year.

...that would increase the chance of coalition governments with small (potentially single-issue) parties able to play 'kingmaker' and hold much greater influence than their voter support base should allow?...
You'd never get anything done.

Never mind all that. It's the third day of oppressive heat ( 30s C at my gaff ) and the government has done bugger all about it despite the warning of the meteorologists...when are they going to admit they never planned for this ?
....borisgrrrrr.....

Been kicking around:

With highs of 33° expected AGAIN today, it's time to ask "could the government have done more?" Downing Street knew about this heatwave weeks ago and have done nothing. Shipments of 400,000 pairs of Speedos and 500,000 bikinis, sun cream and Cornettos have reportedly been sent back as unsafe after media claims the shipment was quarantined a month ago and Boris did nothing.
Karen from Chavington said, "We just don't know if it's safe to go outside and sunbathe because we can't function or think for ourselves. Boris hasn't told us either way and all my obese kids need ice cream and sweets, the Hubby can't get out to rob anyone so we're out of lager and weed, I blame the government entirely"
Meanwhile, anti- heat protesters dressed in thick jumpers chanting "we can't breath" have marched on London, Big Ben has been removed and a giant Mint Feast put in its place by protesters.
The BBC reported earlier, "clearly the sun has come out and Downing street have done nothing to prevent it.
A second heat Wave is expected to hit the UK in 4 weeks time."
See #18,048 ^ :-D

Latest Threads