Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I spent a bit of time once upon a time stooging around in a Nimrod. The most exciting thing that happened was the co pilot switching the windscreen wipers on.

So looking out of the windows will be a whole new adventure.
I used to work with someone whose entire career in the RAF consisted of sitting in the back listening for submarines. Wouldn't have flicked my switch to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
A trash hauler's job is to travel to interesting international destinations in order to sample the cuisine and accommodation, not go up and down the Channel all day.
I think the crabs should sell it as a 80th anniversary reenaction of the Kanalkampf, which IIRC was in full flow about now.

Edit: According to Len Deighton, the Kanalkampf effectively ended on 12 August, AdlerTag awas delayed by a day to 13 August

I used to work with someone whose entire career in the RAF consisted of sitting in the back listening for submarines. Wouldn't have flicked my switch to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
But think of all the pies!

Chimp

ADC
“Absolutely not. I’ve never tried to deceive the public and I’ve always tried to be absolutely frank”
Boris Johnson to ITV News
28 NOVEMBER 2019

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
“Absolutely not. I’ve never tried to deceive the public and I’ve always tried to be absolutely frank”
Boris Johnson to ITV News
28 NOVEMBER 2019
Big font check, bold check, Boris grrr check, context. . . abort abort.

Doesn’t look great on a number of fronts. Let’s hope that it’s not long lasting.

• Overall, we rate the New Statesman Left Biased based on story selection that mostly favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.

Doesn’t look great on a number of fronts. Let’s hope that it’s not long lasting.

• Overall, we rate the New Statesman Left Biased based on story selection that mostly favors the left and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Boris Ggggggrrrrrr!!! Always 2 sides to a story though:
GDP rose by a faster-than-expected 8.7% month on month in June, raising hopes of that fabled V shaped recovery. Economist Julian Jessop has described the beginning of the bounce back in June as “confirming that a decent recovery has begun.”

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

You forgot this bit in your eagerness to Borisgrrrr

Analysis / Bias

In review, The New Statesman reports news and opinions with a left-leaning bias in story selection and wording such as this: It is getting harder and harder for Nancy Pelosi to resist calls to impeach Trump. This story, like most on the New Statesman, utilizes credible sources such as Roll Call and the Washington Post. For the most part, stories are opposed to conservatives whether it be the US version of the New Statesman or the UK version such as this: Rory Stewart has said what many Conservative moderates are thinking about Boris Johnson. When it comes to UK politics, the New Statesman does not support Brexit and when it comes to US politics, they do not support President Trump. In general, most stories favor the left and denigrate the right.

You forgot this bit in your eagerness to Borisgrrrr

Analysis / Bias

In review, The New Statesman reports news and opinions with a left-leaning bias in story selection and wording such as this: It is getting harder and harder for Nancy Pelosi to resist calls to impeach Trump. This story, like most on the New Statesman, utilizes credible sources such as Roll Call and the Washington Post. For the most part, stories are opposed to conservatives whether it be the US version of the New Statesman or the UK version such as this: Rory Stewart has said what many Conservative moderates are thinking about Boris Johnson. When it comes to UK politics, the New Statesman does not support Brexit and when it comes to US politics, they do not support President Trump. In general, most stories favor the left and denigrate the right.
But are the figures correct and do they indicate that on a number of fronts, we have performed poorly?

There is no doubting that they are a left leaning publication. However they seem to score well for truthfulness.

Again, it’s been revealed that not every country uses the same criteria. Facts can only be correct if the data is correct. But even if it doesn’t look great, where’s Labour as a comparator. Even Euronews and Canada have poo pooed Putins claim on a new vaccine.

Again, it’s been revealed that not every country uses the same criteria. Facts can only be correct if the data is correct. But even if it doesn’t look great, where’s Labour as a comparator. Even Euronews and Canada have poo pooed Putins claim on a new vaccine.
I’m not remotely interested in Labour, they haven’t been in power for over 10 years.

Are you suggesting that we aren’t at the bottom of The G7 list and that the figures are incorrect? I haven’t heard that claimed so far.

I’m not remotely interested in Labour, they haven’t been in power for over 10 years.

Are you suggesting that we aren’t at the bottom of The G7 list and that the figures are incorrect? I haven’t heard that claimed so far.
The figures are obviously incorrect, as they have been reported by a left wing paper, and irritate those whose most sophisticated response to any critical observation of the Government is "Boris grrr".

The fact that they've been lifted directly from the Government's own report is irrelevant.

1.Main points
  • UK gross domestic product (GDP) is estimated to have fallen by a record 20.4% in Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2020, marking the second consecutive quarterly decline after it fell by 2.2% in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2020.
  • When compared with Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2019, UK GDP decreased by 22.1% in Quarter 2 2020.
  • Despite the weakness in Quarter 2 2020, there was some pick up in June as government restrictions on movement started to ease; see GDP monthly estimate, UK: June 2020.
  • There have been record quarterly falls in services, production and construction output in Quarter 2, which have been particularly prevalent in those industries that have been most exposed to government restrictions.
  • Private consumption accounted for more than 70% of the fall in the expenditure measure of GDP in Quarter 2 2020, falling by 23.1%; there were also notable falls in gross capital formation and government consumption.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

You do understand why we are at the bottom yes? Borisgrrr isn't the right answer.

Truxx

LE

I know. What with the virus and lockdown (ha ha) and everything.

I am surprised (and encouraged) that it is not far worse.

The figures are obviously incorrect, as they have been reported by a left wing paper, and irritate those whose most sophisticated response to any critical observation of the Government is "Boris grrr".

The fact that they've been lifted directly from the Government's own report is irrelevant.

1.Main points
  • UK gross domestic product (GDP) is estimated to have fallen by a record 20.4% in Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2020, marking the second consecutive quarterly decline after it fell by 2.2% in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2020.
  • When compared with Quarter 4 (Oct to Dec) 2019, UK GDP decreased by 22.1% in Quarter 2 2020.
  • Despite the weakness in Quarter 2 2020, there was some pick up in June as government restrictions on movement started to ease; see GDP monthly estimate, UK: June 2020.
  • There have been record quarterly falls in services, production and construction output in Quarter 2, which have been particularly prevalent in those industries that have been most exposed to government restrictions.
  • Private consumption accounted for more than 70% of the fall in the expenditure measure of GDP in Quarter 2 2020, falling by 23.1%; there were also notable falls in gross capital formation and government consumption.
. . . though it does take the Speccy until para 4 to acknowledge that ONS figures for GDP in June rose by 8.7%.

Their measured comment on this? ' . . . reckless for the Government to assume that the UK will enjoy a 'V'-shaped recovery. . . '

Reckless, eh?

Grrrrr.

:rolleyes:

Latest Threads