Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Going back to your original point about the guile needed to work in intelligence, it could be argued that the Government played an absolute blinder by exposing Julian Lewis.
If so, that’s playing a very long game. The more short term pain is a man running the ISC who, er, isn’t whipped.

We must have a different definition of ‘blinder’.

Still, good news for Grayling who can return to spillages in Aisle 2 which is more his league.

Going back to your original point about the guile needed to work in intelligence, it could be argued that the Government played an absolute blinder by exposing Julian Lewis.

A man who conspired with the opposition has been outed, and lost the whip. He will eventually become as relevant as Bercow
But still The Chairman of The Intelligence Select Committee, a job that BJ thought his useful idiot Grayling was a shoe in for.

Not as irrelevant as Grayling I think. A good 4 years as a loose cannon, thorn in the side of Bozo.

Parliamentary independence at its finest.

Let’s get The Russia report published.

Oyibo

LE
If so, that’s playing a very long game. The more short term pain is a man running the ISC who, er, isn’t whipped.

We must have a different definition of ‘blinder’.

Still, good news for Grayling who can return to spillages in Aisle 2 which is more his league.
I don't believe for a minute it was intentional act by the Government - that was my point. Similarly, I don't think that Lewis will come out of this well in the long run.

Oyibo

LE
But still The Chairman of The Intelligence Select Committee, a job that BJ thought his useful idiot Grayling was a shoe in for.

Not as irrelevant as Grayling I think. A good 4 years as a loose cannon, thorn in the side of Bozo.

Parliamentary independence at its finest.

Let’s get The Russia report published.
Rather a short-term approach to intelligence when he is now seen as untrustworthy by many (I know, not by you).

I do agree that his wiki bio paints a man of principle, but in the case of the committee selection I believe he strayed.
You've discovered why he was bound to clash with Boris and his parachuting in of a placeman not up to the job, funny things are principles.

Hmmm... maybe not. He’ll be hiring contract cleaning companies with no cleaning staff and no mops & buckets...

... Best perhaps that he is left to a quiet and insignificant obscurity.

Binning Lewis seems an odd move but no doubt the ‘loose cannon‘ aspect will have been weighed up and... Lewis goes into the ISC job unencumbered by an dutiful party loyalty which may not be a bad thing.

Oyibo

LE
Snipped...

Binning Lewis seems an odd move but no doubt the ‘loose cannon‘ aspect will have been weighed up and... Lewis goes into the ISC job unencumbered by an dutiful party loyalty which may not be a bad thing.
Rightly or wrongly, the Government is continuing with its practice of binning anyone who steps out of line.

If Lewis is truly a man of principle then the committee will benefit from having him. IMO it's too early to say how it will pan out.

Hmmm... maybe not. He’ll be hiring contract cleaning companies with no cleaning staff and no mops & buckets...

... Best perhaps that he is left to a quiet and insignificant obscurity.

Grayling is still a member of the Committee, is he not? So he can sit through every Committee meeting with the thoughts of his inadequacy slowing grinding away at the remains of his sanity.

Lot happening...or not happening...depending how you view it.

The legislation (Justice and Security Act 2013) and the relative Memorandum of Understanding under the Act are clear that
"Parliament appoints the members of the ISC, by vote on a motion of the relevant House. Candidates for membership must first have been nominated by the Prime Minister. The ISC elects its own Chair from amongst the appointed members of the Committee."

Rightly or wrongly, the Government is continuing with its practice of binning anyone who steps out of line.

If Lewis is truly a man of principle then the committee will benefit from having him. IMO it's too early to say how it will pan out.
Well I’ve been following this and have concluded that there is a time for a party line and there times when being detached would be no bad thing. Bearing in mind the real Government opposition sits with the Government back benches not Smarmer, this is no bad thing. I think it improves Conservative stock. So Lewis will have to make a fist of it and Prove Grayling was a bad move.

Latest Threads