Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
What amuses me in a tragi-comic sort of way is that a smattering of people on this site will have been exposed to some elevated and battle-hardened views of Leadership. Things like:
  • Planning
  • Briefing
  • Controlling
  • Informing
  • Supporting
  • Evaluating
  • Praising

In addition, values and behaviours tend to get flagged:
  • Integrity
  • Honesty
  • Hard work
  • Selflessness
All of the above – in varying form – are basically tattooed inside the eyelids of YOs, for example.

What puzzles me is that military people should be tuned to the above as virtues and also be tuned to the following as red flags:
  • Bluster
  • Cant
  • Hypocrisy
  • A stage act masquerading as ‘eccentricity’
  • Fake bonhomie

And yet Boris is an utter blind spot to so many. He’s the sort of parody that the RAC YO’s would have spotted as a fraud within 5 mins. At RMAS he’d have been the floppy from the UAE that was just accepted as a burden in the same way as an ammo tin full of sand.

Yet here he is, PM, with an unquestioning claque of supporters who are terrified of an alternative. It surprises me that an apparent military community is so forgiving of his failings.
He's got failings without a doubt, largely caused by something that was beyond anyone's comprehension six months ago, but he's the best available at the moment.
Not sure what that says about the alternatives.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Just like to know who we can watch and be permitted to air our views. Strike BBC, Sky, C4.etc. ?
When it comes to Piers Morgan, it’s not a matter of permission, just one of taste.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think you’ll find Boris and his cronies are no friends of the Forces, Cameron set some of the rot in however its been carried on.
May was useless like Major, Blair was a tosser of the highest order not unlike Brown and Boris talks the talk but yet to walk... you get my drift.
Full of promises and surrounded by yes men. Police stations and Fire stations closed under his watch when he was mayor.
And what has that to do with the price of fish at the market?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Given the source, an intriguing observation.

'If the sheaf of hand-written notes with which Johnson arrived in the Chamber is anything to go by, he is taking seriously the task of not taking Starmer seriously.

“This is such rhetorical nonsense,” Starmer had earlier protested, and one could see what he meant. The Oxford Union style is bound to strike him as disreputable. But Johnson is a more formidable opponent than he may appear to those who are simply disgusted by his style. For amid the flouts and jeers, the PM ventures to tell some hard truths.

'When Starmer pressed him on the loss of jobs at British Airways, and the attempt by that firm to force its remaining 30,000 staff to accept worse terms and conditions, Johnson refused either to support or to denounce such tactics. But he did say the Government does not possess “a magic wand” with which it can ensure that every single job which existed before the pandemic can be preserved after it.

'Starmer brandished some official report: “Has the Prime Minister actually read the report?” “I am of course aware of the report,” Johnson replied. Here is a man with extensive experience of not doing the work his teachers said it was essential for him to do, who nevertheless ended up not just as Captain of School, but as Prime Minister.

'Johnson, in short, is an affront to serious-minded people everywhere. They may, however, constitute a minority of the electorate.'

Andrew Gimson is a contributing editor to ConservativeHome and the author of "Boris - the Rise of Boris Johnson". He was the Daily Telegraph's parliamentary sketchwriter, and before that the paper's Berlin correspondent.

Latest Threads