Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Stand fast, the Mogster has this one in hand
"Answering for the government, Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said: "I seem to remember somewhere in the Bible that the sins of the father will be visited on the son, but I don't remember it ever being the other way round.

"I think the honourable gentleman is really fishing desperately to try and make any criticism of the PM."

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It seems that Stanley Johnson, the PM's father, has managed to get out to Greece, cunningly avoiding the Greek embargo on UK visitors by travelling via Bulgaria, and flouting the "Essential Overseas travel" only UK Government rule in order to prepare his Greek holiday home for letting during the Summer.

Comments?
Good old British ingenuity! ;)

No doubt he will be invited to quarantine himself on return to these shores.

It seems that Stanley Johnson, the PM's father, has managed to get out to Greece, cunningly avoiding the Greek embargo on UK visitors by travelling via Bulgaria, and flouting the "Essential Overseas travel" only UK Government rule in order to prepare his Greek holiday home for letting during the Summer.

Comments?
One of three reactions.
Good on him
Greek embargo? :mrgreen:
If he karks it........

Comments?
Trator.

He should be back here rioting in the streets shoulder to shoulder with the largely peaceful Marxist rioters, getting properly infected with Covid-19, like a proper virtue signaller.

This news is from Thursday. Rather than getting press briefing info second hand from the media, with their interpretations, viewers will be able to watch and listen to the questions and answers.

View attachment 487076

Guido Wins: Televised Lobby Briefings Coming - Guido Fawkes

Alastair Stewart gives his thoughts on this today.

Boris's TV briefings could end the lobby pantomime

Boris's TV briefings could end the lobby pantomime | The Spectator
Boris and Rishi are top Twitch Streamer handles.

Trator.

He should be back here rioting in the streets shoulder to shoulder with the largely peaceful Marxist rioters, getting properly infected with Covid-19, like a proper virtue signaller.
A trator, eh?

By God, sir, you'd better be prepared to evidence the use of such strong language!

Interesting podcast:

Blue Collar Conservatism 7/4/2020 (I think they mean 4th July 2020)
Boris Johnson channelled his inner Franklin Roosevelt this week to deliver his "New Deal" speech. Aimed at moving the national debate away from lockdown and onto the future, the Prime Minster promised to "build, build, build".

With the Chancellor set to map out the Government's plan to nurse the economy back to health on Wednesday, Esther McVey is joined by three guests to discuss the detail in the Prime Minister's speech, the significance of having delivered it in Dudley and what the Chancellor needs to include in his plan to rebuild the economy after COVID:

01:58 Matthew Goodwin, Professor of politics at the University of Kent

09:38 John Redwood MP, former Secretary of State and policy adviser to Margaret Thatcher

23:29 Lord Norman Lamont, former Chancellor of the Exchequer

Link to main page: A PODCAST FOR WORKING PEOPLE.

Episode 14

Well I have to say that the Chancellor has come up trumps.

Mini Ancient, 27 years old put an offer in on a house in West London last week, unaware of the treasury's plans. A smidgin under half a million quid.

She and her other half are first time buyers, they're not doing too badly I'm pleased to say.

Stamp duty holiday means they've saved £28,000.

I'll be seeing her on Friday as it's my birthday and I think I'll let her buy the drinks.

Do you think there's the slightest chance that the cash I gave her, the Bank of Mum and Dad contribution to the deposit, might come back to me?

Didn't think so.

Oh well. Easy come. Easy go......

daz

LE
The Telegraph are reporting that £10 billion had been spent on test and trace, and £15 billion has been spent on PPE. Wow. Just wow. This COVID-19 episode is a huge effing scandal.

Non paywalled version Calls for inquiry after Treasury reveals £15bn cost of PPE

The Telegraph are reporting that £10 billion had been spent on test and trace, and £15 billion has been spent on PPE. Wow. Just wow. This COVID-19 episode is a huge effing scandal.
Why?

Lets look at the alternative:

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Liverpool does have a large china town, the oldest Chinese community in Europe, lots of chinese students and it is a port of some size.
:)
You viscous bastard. WTF have the people of HK done to deserve that kind of fate? Hull would be the way forward.

No mention of how many items of PPE that sum brought. Considering how much PPE is used daily I suspect that may well turn out to be a bargain, especially when you consider how much PPE a single health care worker can go through in a day.
Lets say one Nurse has six patients a day (which I suspect is a low number, grabbed entirely at random).
Its been 110 days since I was furloughed.
That's 660.
There are 661 nurses in the NHS, so that's 436,260,000 items of PPE.

But wait! you need three items, face, mask apron. 1,308,780,000. So we're only at £11.46 per item, which admittedly is a bit steep. But that's just the nurses though. Lets add in doctors, mortuary assistants, pathology cleaners, porters, ambulance crew, and all the others.

Then there's the care homes staff...

No mention of how many items of PPE that sum brought. Considering how much PPE is used daily I suspect that may well turn out to be a bargain, especially when you consider how much PPE a single health care worker can go through in a day.
Lets say one Nurse has six patients a day (which I suspect is a low number, grabbed entirely at random).
That's 660.

But wait! you need three items, face, mask apron. 1,308,780,000. So we're only at £11.46 per item, which admittedly is a bit steep. But that's just the nurses though. Lets add in doctors, mortuary assistants, pathology cleaners, porters, ambulance crew, and all the others.

A bit steep???? This is 15% of the entire health budget! Not everyone in the NHS needs full PPE and before the pandemic we had large stocks valued at £50-100m. All of a sudden we need pay 100x more? The government could have requisitioned factories to make this stuff here for a tiny fraction of the cost. And we aren’t even talking of the £10 billion spent on test and trace.

Looks like the DHSC and the Treasury went mad after being caught flat footed initially and sprayed money at every single contractor that came along. Some people have made off like bandits here.

Truxx

LE
That's 660.

Goodness me.

If only the high quality gold standard hacks ( particularly from the BBC) could do that sort of quick and dirty analysis, and then include it for context and balance?

I wonder why they didn't?

Goodness me.

If only the high quality gold standard hacks ( particularly from the BBC) could do that sort of quick and dirty analysis, and then include it for context and balance?

I wonder why they didn't?
The analysis is made up. The PPE standard for dealing with C-19 patients are what is listed above. Even at its peak there weren’t more than 15,000 people in hospital with Covid in the country.
Meanwhile the rest of the NHS was shut down for non essential treatment. Clinical staff not dealing directly with infected patients would wear a simple non fluid protective mask which costs a few pence, and a standard plastic apron which costs the same.
Non-clinical staff were only wearing the same basic masks. Beware fake analysis.

A bit steep???? This is 15% of the entire health budget! Not everyone in the NHS needs full PPE and before the pandemic we had large stocks valued at £50-100m. All of a sudden we need pay 100x more? The government could have requisitioned factories to make this stuff here for a tiny fraction of the cost.
If you give more than a cursory glance at my post, you'll spot I didn't list everyone in the NHS, which is 1.5million individuals.

I realise, I also forgot the council workers who require PPE from my break down above.

Essentially a massive amount of people required a unbelievably large amount of PPE, in a very short time, at the same time as the rest of the world required it.
I would suggest that at a time of Crisis its a good thing that we had the financial ability too, and purchasing power to obtain sufficient stocks to keep the country going.

And we aren’t even talking of the £10 billion spent on test and trace.
At first glance a slightly harder thing to defend. However, test and trace involves testing. A current commercially available kit costs £125. Then you have all the facilities to process that test. Which have been expanded. Then you need the people to process the data, and to make contact with the individuals, and get their details, and those who they've been in contact with. This is not cheap.

Looks like the DHSC and the Treasury went mad after being caught flat footed initially and sprayed money at every single contractor that came along. Some people have made off like bandits here.
You're entire hostility comes fro mthe first clause of your argument, which is proven not true. As is the rest of this paragraph. Indeed there were news stories earlier of some bloke offering his massive supply of PPE to the government. Later investigation on here showed he was a dodgy conman type and the government ignored him. I believe the details are in the CV19 thread elsewhere.

Latest Threads