Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
So long as it's a genuine meritocracy, and not a "promote those who say what we want to hear". I'm thinking about SIS and the Iraq War as a good example of what happens when career astronauts discover that backing the PM's chief adviser gets you a juicy job, who cares whether the intelligence is accurate or not... or that competent CS discover that you cannot afford to give an honest assessment of the PM's buddy (because it will be leaked to the Daily Mail and get you sacked as the British Ambassador to the USA).

Unfortunately, if the current Cabinet is an indication, it seems that loyalty is prized over competence. I mean, Grayling? Truss? Sunak is a pleasant surprise, although his appointment was more accident than design :)

Think of it this way - the Army is similar to the Civil Service; Cummings will do exactly the same to the Forces as to the CS. What happens when the 1* and above jobs get selected by the Cabinet Office, on the basis of "our kind of people""what we think of as competence"? It might be Boris now, but what if (in ten years, after the precedent is well settled down) it's some right-on type demanding more female Div/Bde/Bn Comds? All it takes is for a weasel 2* to let it be known that they're just the type to make it happen, and...
China should be heavy on their minds just now- Just wonder if Britain will go to war on a principle-with China- sorry just musing- of course not.:rolleyes:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Boris just gave an upbeat, let's get us out of the Covid downturn. Journos just denigrate and ridicule him. Water off a duck's back for BoJo. This is him fully recovered from Covid laying out what needs to be done. Stop sending out profits to USA and China and keep them here.

BBC now on their self-appointed task of running down anything Boris says.

Boris just gave an upbeat, let's get us out of the Covid downturn. Journos just denigrate and ridicule him. Water off a duck's back for BoJo. This is him fully recovered from Covid laying out what needs to be done. Stop sending out profits to USA and China and keep them here.

BBC now on their self-appointed task of running down anything Boris says.
In general, the majority of journalists are neither innovators nor wealth creators. By contrast some of the best articles are written by people who have actually done stuff.

In general, the majority of journalists are neither innovators nor wealth creators. By contrast some of the best articles are written by people who have actually done stuff.
I'd add the majority of journalists are incapable of analysing whoever they have been sent to interview/report on and either follow the direction they've been given or rely on the mood of other journalists.

Makes you wonder where the sort of journalists that are capable of winning an award worth winning are going to come from!

I see everyone is bleating on social media today that it's all Boris' fault that Leicester is having to go back into lockdown, nothing said about people not following the government guidelines throughout the last few months and taking some responsibility for themselves, always got to be the governments fault.

I see everyone is bleating on social media today that it's all Boris' fault that Leicester is having to go back into lockdown, nothing said about people not following the government guidelines throughout the last few months and taking some responsibility for themselves, always got to be the governments fault.
Given that the current Mayor of Leicester is this worthy:

who was earlier pinged for this:

but then had/has the brass neck to moan about this:

and as was noted here:

I would suspect the gallant Sir Peter will be inflicting the airwaves for a while telling us Rotten Bastard Tories murdering BAME babies and stuff :rolleyes:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
On the early BBC news they actually had someone saying it was the fault of Cummings, if he can do it do can we - so rather than accepting it as the citizens of Leicester screwing up it is all the fault of Cummings! We really do have a generation who have not intellectually grown older than 15 years of age!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Matt Hancock on this morning's Today Programme on R4 clearly stated that the Mayor of Leicester had been kept informed of the situation 11 days ago.

Somebody's telling porkies....

anglo

LE
On the early BBC news they actually had someone saying it was the fault of Cummings, if he can do it do can we - so rather than accepting it as the citizens of Leicester screwing up it is all the fault of Cummings! We really do have a generation who have not intellectually grown older than 15 years of age!
If Cummings stuck his fingers in the fire, how many --------- others would, "cos he did",

Oops, nearly got send sent to the naughty stair

If Cummings stuck hie fingers in the fire, how many others would, "cos he did"
I'm suddenly reminded of quite a few times I got told off for stupidity. "If Dominic Cummings jumped off a cliff would you do it as well?"

I think Stephen Fry would call it infantilism. I’m not a great fan of his, but occasionally he comes up with the goods.

Boris is finished... He will never be able to live with criticism from the abject failure who was one of the worst prime ministers in living memory. He will be taking a great deal of notice I’m sure.

Theresa May criticises PM over choice of Brexit envoy for security role
May criticises PM over choice of security adviser

He is probably cap in hand begging Sedwill to come back already but another remote possibility is that he might just be flipping the finger at May with a big floppy haired grin on boat.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Can you see the Dots yet?.....

Excellent content. Gove may be a bit of a Jockanese oily toad, but he, BoJo and DC are bloody bright. CV19 has been a massive distraction, but if you are willing to put the effort in to seek out the Dots, hiding in plain sight, (and many delivered direct to the door by our more erudite Arssers), you can start to see the framework of a plan that has the potential to transform the UK in a way not seen since that Lady broke the Left for the first time.

The fog is only just beginning to clear, but for those of us wanting real transformative change in the way the UK does its business, at home as well as abroad, the recent combat indicators are looking v positive. Oh, and the Roosevelt parable is genius.
The government has made a partial pig's ear of dealing with Covid-19.

Some of it is understandable - this is probably the biggest crisis since the Second Great Unpleasantness and no government is going to get 100% of it's decisions right. But it has also shown up other failings. For example:
  • No government minister actually goes out and personally orders PPE - they pass the instruction to the CS. and the execution of the instructions seems to have been a problem. Cue the impending reforms of the CS - it didn't seem to be able to cope with non-routine requirements.
  • The NHS and Public Health England were refusing help from university laboratories and high tech engineering firms such as Rolls-Royce; that would seem to have been ideologically based [no private sector involvement in the NHS] rather than a sensible operational decision.
  • The way the mobile phone 'tracing application' was designed and coded was a weapon's grade fornicate up where expert advice was ignored. It's reached my ears from an impeccable source that the original intent was to have a version ready for release in 8 days - which was on the same level of realism as the orders from the Fuhrer bunker in the week before Adolf's death.
So I think the covid-19 situation has just conformed what several senior Tories/Cumming knew all along - a lot of the existing public systems/organisations are not fit for purpose.

Wordsmith

Offa

War Hero
The same can be said about the effectiveness of individual Members of Parliament - those who have actually done stuff - real stuff.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
So what is the department spunking our cash away on corrupt third-world "leaders" called now, then?
It's been rolled into the foreign office where UK foreign aid will be used to further UK political objectives - so called 'soft power'.

At present a large chunk of our foreign aid budget has been going to the EU - which has been redistributing it under the EU banner to further EU objectives, not UK ones.

I also suspect that a lot more thing's will be re-branded as 'foreign aid', so that although we'll still be spending 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid, foreign aid in the strict meaning of the world will be less than 0.7%.

Wordsmith

A voice on Sky News at lunchtime moaning about there being no weddings allowed in Leicestershire. She went on to inform me that this will unduly affect Asian and black weddings - "as they have large families".

Niamac

GCM
FDR spent about 5% of the American GDP on the new deal. Translated into our situation this would be about £175B. The Blond Blimp's £5B of "Build, Build, Build" is laughable in comparison.

FDR spent about 5% of the American GDP on the new deal. Translated into our situation this would be about £175B. The Blond Blimp's £5B of "Build, Build, Build" is laughable in comparison.
Exactly!

How else is he going to fund such things as the TVA, Hoover Dam, LaGuardia Airport, San Fran-Oakland Bay Bridge, the Social Security Act which introduced a universal retirement pension, unemployment insurance, welfare benefits for the handicapped, etc . . . ?

To equate this 'new deal' to FDR's New Deal is to not understand the depth and level of the New Deal.

Latest Threads