Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

rifleair

War Hero
Whilst I don't disagree with the overall message in your post, the death certificate written by the doctor who actually certifies the death will have two separate sections, with the first part split into three, to record cause of death. 1a is the actual disease or condition which lead directly to the death. 1b is any disease or condition which led to 1a. 1c is any diseases or conditions which led to 1b. 2 is any disease or condition which contributed to the death but is not related to the disease or condition which actually caused it. So, a possible example might be
1a. Pneumonitis
1b. COVID-19
1c. COPD
2. Alzheimer's
Yes, but every death which has a mention goes into the covid figures irrespective of whether they died OF or WITH it.

You obviously have been sniffing the test tubes in the lab.

Have you nothing to say on the subject of the thread, or you trying to derail it like every other one you jump into?
Seems the Mods have taken a lesson out of the SCS book on how to do as little as possible whilst appearing to do your job :)

Is he the one out of the notorious ARRSE triumvirate that invented this magniloquence?
Sadly, he cannot claim that trophy - it was first spotted a couple of years before, when it appeared as a genuine typo.

Dr Dr brought it back to life because . . . well . . . because he knew that was how it was spooled.

anglo

LE
Short of a vaccine, what are you seriously suggesting?

Lockdown is being paid for by long term economic, social and health consequences for our country which will affect far more people than COVID and for a long time to come, including the very people we will need to drive our economy in the future. We were right to lock down to give the health service time to increase resilience and to develop other mitigations (and we were right to delay lockdown so the virus could start to burn its way through the population and create a degree of herd immunity), but it's now time for at risk individuals to shield as best they can and for the rest of us to get on with it.

We can't afford any more lock down and we should not indulge those insufficiently hard boiled to face the inevitable realities attendant on a disease for which we currently have no effective cure. Like it or not, culling the weak and the elderly is what nature nature does best and there's no point wringing our hands about it or destroying our economy in a futile attempt to save the over-Seventies at all costs.
I'm 78 and I agree with you, help the old coffin dodgers but let the young get on with it
I'll protect myself as best I can,

NSP

LE
binning the ridiculous overseas aid department,
So what is the department spunking our cash away on corrupt third-world "leaders" called now, then?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So what is the department spunking our cash away on corrupt third-world "leaders" called now, then?
Hopefully
Border Control

Sadly, he cannot claim that trophy - it was first spotted a couple of years before, when it appeared as a genuine typo.

Dr Dr brought it back to life because . . . well . . . because he knew that was how it was spooled.
You're a bit like a village halfwit who makes himself a job to feel useful. Googling the usernames of new posters indeed.

The opening salvo of the war to move the CS to a meritocracy rather than "Buggins turn" in the promotion stakes?
So long as it's a genuine meritocracy, and not a "promote those who say what we want to hear". I'm thinking about SIS and the Iraq War as a good example of what happens when career astronauts discover that backing the PM's chief adviser gets you a juicy job, who cares whether the intelligence is accurate or not... or that competent CS discover that you cannot afford to give an honest assessment of the PM's buddy (because it will be leaked to the Daily Mail and get you sacked as the British Ambassador to the USA).

Unfortunately, if the current Cabinet is an indication, it seems that loyalty is prized over competence. I mean, Grayling? Truss? Sunak is a pleasant surprise, although his appointment was more accident than design :)

Think of it this way - the Army is similar to the Civil Service; Cummings will do exactly the same to the Forces as to the CS. What happens when the 1* and above jobs get selected by the Cabinet Office, on the basis of "our kind of people""what we think of as competence"? It might be Boris now, but what if (in ten years, after the precedent is well settled down) it's some right-on type demanding more female Div/Bde/Bn Comds? All it takes is for a weasel 2* to let it be known that they're just the type to make it happen, and...

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So long as it's a genuine meritocracy, and not a "promote those who say what we want to hear". I'm thinking about SIS and the Iraq War as a good example of what happens when career astronauts discover that backing the PM's chief adviser gets you a juicy job, who cares whether the intelligence is accurate or not... or that competent CS discover that you cannot afford to give an honest assessment of the PM's buddy (because it will be leaked to the Daily Mail and get you sacked).

Unfortunately, if the current Cabinet is an indication, it seems that loyalty is prized over competence. I mean, Grayling? Truss? Sunak is a pleasant surprise, although his appointment was more accident than design :)

Think of it this way - the Army is similar to the Civil Service; Cummings will do exactly the same to the Forces as to the CS. What happens when the 1* and above jobs get selected by the Cabinet Office, on the basis of "our kind of people""what we think of as competence"? It might be Boris now, but what if (in ten years, after the precedent is well settled down) it's some right-on type demanding more female Div/Bde/Bn Comds? All it takes is for a weasel 2* to let it be known that they're just the type to make it happen, and...
I thought that was de rigueur for the armed forces - just look at the number of VSOs who only complain once the pension has dropped into their account and they have their sinecure post lined up!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So long as it's a genuine meritocracy, and not a "promote those who say what we want to hear". I'm thinking about SIS and the Iraq War as a good example of what happens when career astronauts discover that backing the PM's chief adviser gets you a juicy job, who cares whether the intelligence is accurate or not... or that competent CS discover that you cannot afford to give an honest assessment of the PM's buddy (because it will be leaked to the Daily Mail and get you sacked as the British Ambassador to the USA).

Do we know who leaked the Darroch memos?

Although they were leaked to a ‘journalist’ connected to the Brexit Party it always struck me as odd. The motivation for the leak could have been personal against Darroch. He is an EU insider and may have been working against the UK’s interests but leaking the memos had the potential to damage US / UK relations which is hardly in the interest of Brexiteers.

Darroch was due to retire anyway so getting rid of him doesn’t seem that important.

You're a bit like a village halfwit who makes himself a job to feel useful. Googling the usernames of new posters indeed.
To me, the interesting thing is not that he's made those posts, but that you've read them. I mean, what logical reason can you have for reading a thread that exists purely so site members can flag up to those with the powers to act, accounts set up for the purpose of spamming the site? You don't have the powers of a moderator, and you haven't used the thread to report spammers, so there's no reason for you to have read that thread that doesn't reflect badly on you.

To me, the interesting thing is not that he's made those posts, but that you've read them. I mean, what logical reason can you have for reading a thread that exists purely so site members can flag up to those with the powers to act, accounts set up for the purpose of spamming the site? You don't have the powers of a moderator, and you haven't used the thread to report spammers, so there's no reason for you to have read that thread that doesn't reflect badly on you.

You find it interesting? Really?

And I guess from your post, that reading is something which you personally find requires great exertion.

You find it interesting? Really?

And I guess from your post, that reading is something which you personally find requires great exertion.
I fail to see why you would guess that from either that post or any other I have written. What is more likely is that you are flailing around in a vain attempt to deflect criticism.

It would be nice if someone would save us a lot of bother.

It would actually be fairly simple to create something to identify the majority of spam posts (although I'm not sure how hard it is to implement it, or if there would be a heavy computational cost of checking the first 10/20 posts made by new users) and I'm sure the site has enough expertise to create something like that for free.

Latest Threads