Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
This country is currently reporting almost 40,000 deaths from Covid19, whereas Germany is around a quarter of that. The difference being is that Germany only records a Covid death if the virus was the true cause of death
No, the difference being that Germany has only had a 5% increase in deaths, not a >100% increase like the UK. Basically, those 8,000 Covid-19 dead Germans are the vast bulk of their excess deaths. Our 40,000 Covid-19 dead Brits are only two-thirds of our 60,000 excess deaths.

It's because the Germans handled Covid-19 competently. I know some people like to think that Britain is great at this stuff, but we aren't - face up to the fact that we were sh!t at handling it, and that's why so many Britons have died. Too late into lock down, inadequate resilience planning in care homes, insufficient PPE throughout the system.

People who admire the Prime Minister will insist that he's doing a wonderful job, British pluck, NHS heroes, avoid looking at the numbers and insist we didn't do that badly, and then claim we "followed the science" and that it was the Civil Service who failed, or selfish individuals who broke lockdown, and anyway it's only old folk dying, and they'd be popping their clogs soon regardless of a pandemic.

People who despise the Prime Minister will insist it's all his fault for being lazy and incompetent. That he was taking holidays during the period where key decisions should have been made, apparently to write a contractually-required book (and avoid having to pay back the advance) and to sort out his divorce; and that he appointed loyal muppets to Cabinet rather than competent leaders. That he dithered for over a week when everyone could see a lockdown was necessary, and was pompously insisting that he was going to carry on shaking hands and not wearing a mask (strangely, he caught the virus in the following week).

I'll go for somewhere in the middle. Yes, I think he's lazy and incompetent - but also that the care home resilience plans were utterly inadequate, and that this explains a lot of UK deaths. I also think he's carrying the can for a decade of Conservative "efficiency savings" that have cut public laboratories and staff to the point where there just isn't any surge capacity for testing and tracing.

I also think that the Conservative Government failed in its duty of pandemic planning (number one on the National Risk Register), because Brexit. Exercise CYGNUS and its "Lessons Learned" were met with a swift trip to File 13, because "not as important". I mean, it's not as if they can blame anyone but themselves - they've been in power since 2010.

Last edited:
No, the difference being that Germany has only had a 5% increase in deaths, not a >100% increase like the UK. Basically, those 8,000 Covid-19 dead Germans are the vast bulk of their excess deaths. Our 40,000 Covid-19 dead Brits are only two-thirds of our 60,000 excess deaths.

It's because the Germans handled Covid-19 competently. I know some people like to think that Britain is great at this stuff, but we aren't - face up to the fact that we were sh!t at handling it, and that's why so many Britons have died. Too late into lock down, inadequate resilience planning in care homes, insufficient PPE throughout the system.

People who admire the Prime Minister will insist that he's doing a wonderful job, British pluck, NHS heroes, avoid looking at the numbers and insist we didn't do that badly, and then claim we "followed the science" and that it was the Civil Service who failed, or selfish individuals who broke lockdown, and anyway it's only old folk dying, and they'd be popping their clogs soon regardless of a pandemic.

People who despise the Prime Minister will insist it's all his fault for being lazy and incompetent. That he was taking holidays during the period where key decisions should have been made, apparently to write a contractually-required book (and avoid having to pay back the advance) and to sort out his divorce; and that he appointed loyal muppets to Cabinet rather than competent leaders. That he dithered for over a week when everyone could see a lockdown was necessary, and was pompously insisting that he was going to carry on shaking hands and not wearing a mask (strangely, he caught the virus in the following week).

I'll go for somewhere in the middle. Yes, I think he's lazy and incompetent - but also that the care home resilience plans were utterly inadequate, and that this explains a lot of UK deaths. I also think he's carrying the can for a decade of Conservative "efficiency savings" that have cut public laboratories and staff to the point where there just isn't any surge capacity for testing and tracing.

I also think that the Conservative Government failed in its duty of pandemic planning (number one on the register of national risks), because Brexit. Exercise CYGNUS and its "Lessons Learned" were met with a swift trip to File 13, because "not as important". I mean, it's not as if they can blame anyone but themselves - they've been in power since 2010.
The vast majority of care homes are in the private sector - directors and shareholders were happy to reap the profits but not so happy to invest sensibly in their businesses.

I also think that the Conservative Government failed in its duty of pandemic planning (number one on the register of national risks), because Brexit. Exercise CYGNUS and its "Lessons Learned" were met with a swift trip to File 13, because "not as important". I mean, it's not as if they can blame anyone but themselves - they've been in power since 2010.
They’ve been in power since 2015 -they had the significant millstone of the Liberal Democrats to contend with for the 5 years before that. It wasn’t a coalition, it was like rats in a sack.

He does? The last I heard was he thinks BL is a senile old bluffer and he was going to instruct the MoD to review the use of RMAS as a day care centre for dementia sufferers.
I thought he lodged there as a sort of Grace and Favour thing? Y'know, a bit like the Military Knights of Windsor?

Still, I'm sure that it's something he'll touch when he next has the Commandant round for supper.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I thought he lodged there as a sort of Grace and Favour thing? Y'know, a bit like the Military Knights of Windsor?

Still, I'm sure that it's something he'll touch when he next has the Commandant round for supper.
Then you thought wrong.

More like the bloke who says, “can you put me up for a few nights until I get sorted. No really, just a few nights and I'll be off”.

Many, many years later... Commandant to Adjutant, “Has he gone yet? Please tell me he has.“

Not much chat about PMQ’s. @Auld-Yin assured me that it was on here and not the usual thread.

Latest Threads