Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting - my experience completely opposite. The last broadcast - stay alert - widely lampooned and was unintelligible, this is from a man who also branded the campaign to secure alternative supply of ventilators as "Operation Last Gasp". Really? WTF? Disappointing to say the least.
I thought it was easy enough to understand. The problem is the ‘widely lampooned’. Tge id
That seems strange. However I will accept it. Why aren’t Ministers explaining this?

Stabbings and car accidents shown as COVID deaths, seems an easy thing for them to get across during a briefing.
The way that Labour and Parliamentary SNP (as opposed to the Scottish Government) have decided to play party politics with this crisis has been viewed with distaste by most decent people. I think that Boris is determined not to sink into the gutter with them.

I thought it was easy enough to understand. The problem is the ‘widely lampooned’. Tge id
The way that Labour and Parliamentary SNP (as opposed to the Scottish Government) have decided to play party politics with this crisis has been viewed with distaste by most decent people. I think that Boris is determined not to sink into the gutter with them.
Standing up and explaining that deaths caused by traumatic injuries may be recorded as CV 19, even though no symptoms were present and didn’t actually kill someone is an easy and proper message to get across. I wish I had heard it from a Minister.

Truxx

LE
Seems to me that statistics are being used to twist and bring trouble on Boris. The report issued yesterday saying Government statistics were skewed to fit the agenda of proving lots of tests had been done appears to have been produced by someone who worked with many Labour Ministers when they were in power.

Plus, it seems to me that if you have no symptoms and die in a motorcycle accident, a post mortem test will show covid on your death certificate although it wasn't responsible for your death. That will make our stats look high compared to other nations, surely?
A chum of mine mum is 92. Fit as a fiddle apparently, in a local old folks home .100% testing last week, and she tests positive. She has the bug yet has no symptoms.

So what happens now if she karks it? She will have died with it but not necessarily of it.

Like many things in the real world it is not the absolute figures that count, merely the relative ones (provided you are using the same

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Seems to me that statistics are being used to twist and bring trouble on Boris. The report issued yesterday saying Government statistics were skewed to fit the agenda of proving lots of tests had been done appears to have been produced by someone who worked with many Labour Ministers when they were in power.

Plus, it seems to me that if you have no symptoms and die in a motorcycle accident, a post mortem test will show covid on your death certificate although it wasn't responsible for your death. That will make our stats look high compared to other nations, surely?
A few more days of this sort of nonsense and we'll be in full tin-foil country where the lizard people are running the show from a Brussels penthouse.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A few more days of this sort of nonsense and we'll be in full tin-foil country where the lizard people are running the show from a Brussels penthouse.
You mean we aren't? :)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There is a danger of that. I think the press have been ‘unhelpful’. Of you compare the headlines to the substance there is an anti-government bias that just isn’t supporter by the facts.

The way press frame or spin questions has the effect of making it look like anything that the government says is just an excuse.

Today they are wittering on about 24 hour turnarounds for testing. It’s ridiculous. The government could not possible guarantee it or deliver it and neither could the people who are responsible for actually doing it. Boris is a good PM but he can’t will the impossible to happen.

They have explained, frequently, that 24 turnaround is an aspiration that they have asked the agencies concerned to work towards ASAP. Which as been translated as ‘complacent Boris refuses to set target’.

Earlier in the crisis Hancock mentioned waste of PPE by some staff. He was turned on by the press. None of them bothered to find out if it was true. One result of that was that managers who wanted to control the waste were disempowered and the wasters were empowered. Maybe Hancock should have spun his message a little more but we’ve all been demanding less spin and more honesty.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see the leader of the opposition has gone straight into virtue signalling mode, followed up by telling a lie, and called on it by the PM.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Given your accuracy with predictions, I'd have thought you knew better by now.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is a danger of that. I think the press have been ‘unhelpful’. Of you compare the headlines to the substance there is an anti-government bias that just isn’t supporter by the facts.

The way press frame or spin questions has the effect of making it look like anything that the government says is just an excuse.

Today they are wittering on about 24 hour turnarounds for testing. It’s ridiculous. The government could not possible guarantee it or deliver it and neither could the people who are responsible for actually doing it. Boris is a good PM but he can’t will the impossible to happen.

They have explained, frequently, that 24 turnaround is an aspiration that they have asked the agencies concerned to work towards ASAP. Which as been translated as ‘complacent Boris refuses to set target’.

Earlier in the crisis Hancock mentioned waste of PPE by some staff. He was turned on by the press. None of them bothered to find out if it was true. One result of that was that managers who wanted to control the waste were disempowered and the wasters were empowered. Maybe Hancock should have spun his message a little more but we’ve all been demanding less spin and more honesty.
Correct. Unfortunately for the Government, the response to COVID-19 requires them to navigate between starkly contrasting, conflicting imperatives. This gives the opposition and media the ideal stick to beat Boris with. Add in the innate human discomfort with ambiguity (the inevitable result of trying to chart a sensible course between conflicting imperatives) and we have a perfect storm...