Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Interesting counterfactual: if COVID-19 had surfaced in 1989, for example, I wonder what Margaret Thatcher would have made of the science?
Far better than the current crop I would expect, what with her being an industrial chemist by training, taking her initial degree at Somerville, Oxford.

ETA: just seen your follow-on . . .

Interesting counterfactual: if COVID-19 had surfaced in 1989, for example, I wonder what Margaret Thatcher would have made of the science?
I wonder what a Mrs May led Covid crisis might have looked like? Given her performances as Home Sec. and PM, it probably doesn’t bear to much thinking about.

Would we waiting for lock down three years later after many pointless and inconclusive HoC votes?

I wonder what a Mrs May led Covid crisis might have looked like? Given her performances as Home Sec. and PM, it probably doesn’t bear to much thinking about.

Would we waiting for lock down three years later after many pointless and inconclusive HoC votes?
Given that May studied Geography at Oxford, there would have been lots of nicely coloured maps at her briefings...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Given you a funny but on second thoughts I'm looking for a shudder button, as your last line might well have been close to the truth...

Strong and stable mass burial pits, anyone?

Margaret Thatcher was an Oxford-educated Chemist; James Lovelock (of Gaia hypothesis fame) argued that he was able to convince about the threat posed by CFCs because she understood the science.
I can just see her getting out there with her Marigolds on, cleaning up and showing the country how to do it. Her daily briefing would have included a daily lockdown recipe as well. The media wouldn't have dared challenge her for a vegan, gluten-free recipe though.

Strong and stable mass burial pits, anyone?
One has to put them in the right type of soil, you can't just stick a mass burial pit anywhere you know!

Just think about any of the options other than Boris and you'll have nightmares. There's the saying about Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Looks like we got the man before we got the hours (Yes multiple ones).
Possibly the best way to do it as well.

I'm curious as to why this wholesale massacre hasn't been reported. It's not as if the media would be gunshy about taking the NHS to task over denying life-saving treatment, right?
Oh no.
No media organisation dare criticise the NHS. They are absolute bally heroes & a new religion.
Or maybe they're just doing their job?
At least when these "rushed off their feet" doctors & nurses aren't massed outside hospitals clapping each other on a Thursday evening.

Not quite as clear cut as we thought.

The chairman of the UK Statistics Authority says presentation of figures appeared to be aimed at showing "the largest possible number of tests, even at the expense of understanding".

Same conversation at this end. Lack of treatment is considered safer than going into hospital. Mind you, that didn't prevent a 6 day stay last month when things went a bit askew. 5 pints of blood put that one right.
Ouch !
I hope it did the trick.

Not quite as clear cut as we thought.

The chairman of the UK Statistics Authority says presentation of figures appeared to be aimed at showing "the largest possible number of tests, even at the expense of understanding".

Certainly not as clear cut as ‘might have‘ meaning 'definitely did, hang the bastard' eh.

Well spotted Inspector.

As an aside, one may reasonably expect a well balanced and well and impartially reported story to attract a balance of for and against comments from the audience. The comments to this story are very telling in themselves.

Just over half of the excess deaths are a result of lockdown, not COVID-19. They are people who have died because they have been denied medical treatment for other causes.
I'm curious as to your source for that? Because it's a suspiciously convenient claim for those who froth at the brain about how the lockdown is an infringement of their civil liberties, as opposed to a reasonable public health initiative. And a very suspiciously convenient claim for any politician in government trying to shirk blame for incompetent crisis management: "it wasn't us, it was the press and the scientists who wanted a lockdown, they killed everybody".

When the numbers for "confirmed Covid-19" deaths are announced, is that "deaths where a test proved that Covid-19 was present" (i.e. in a hospital, with a positive test result)? Or is it "deaths where Covid-19 was listed as a factor on the death certificate" (say, in a care home, but where no test was available)? Because the difference is very important to your claim. Note that the death statistics only started to include "Covid-19 mentioned on death certificate, but no test carried out" from 28th April.

Otherwise, you're suggesting that over 30,000 people died in 12 weeks because they were shy about going to the doctor? A big claim like that should have a solid evidence base. It would be embarrassing to discover that the gap between excess deaths and declared Covid-19 deaths was largely down to people who died of Covid-19 at home, without a test.

[Edited to add: the official dead-and-tested-positive figure shown on the BBC is over 39,000, while the "excess deaths" figure is AIUI about 60,000. So "just over half of the excess deaths are due to lockdown" is a demonstrably incorrect statement]

Last edited:
I can just see her getting out there with her Marigolds on, cleaning up and showing the country how to do it. Her daily briefing would have included a daily lockdown recipe as well. The media wouldn't have dared challenge her for a vegan, gluten-free recipe though.
It would've been great fun seeing Peston getting handbagged, though!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oyibo

LE
It would've been great fun seeing Peston getting handbagged, though!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Given PMBJ's video with him making a cup of tea, I think it would be more appropriate if Peston was teabagged by Bojo

It'd have been complete carnage. Reporters handbagged left, right and centre. Peston invited to put his questions into English. Anyone interrupting the scientists given a sound handbagging for being rude and not letting the scientist finish. It'd have become ratings-leading TV, with social media full of 'Do you think Maggie will handbag Beth Rigby again? Or will they send someone else for her to beat up?'

And she'd have ended each briefing by reminding us that she'd been joining police patrols on a regular basis to help them with those ignoring the lockdown and had, up to that point, given a stern talking to x hundred lockdown violaters. She'd have have ensured that no-one dared go out lest they bump into her.

It doesn't bear thinking about...

Latest Threads