Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
When I undertook a mature student (very mature) degree course, my class was asked who we considered were the most influential people in the country. I answered ‘the media’ because I believe they can manipulate things sufficiently to have us go to war by the end of the week.

I suspect we will know by the end of this week whether this country is run by our democratically elected government or by Laura K and her ilk pursuing their vendetta.
Or run by an unelected Sp Advisor.

Or run by an unelected Sp Advisor.
As a declared lifelong Conservative you don't seem jolly keen on either the PM or his advisor who delivered the biggest Tory majority in decades. Why is that?

As a declared lifelong Conservative you don't seem jolly keen on either the PM or his advisor who delivered the biggest Tory majority in decades. Why is that?
That’s your take on the matter. You presumably are a Tory and have you liked all of the leaders?

For a thinking person, it’s possible to like a concept or a party movement without being slavishly enthralled to all its members or leaders.

It would appear that IF a person has been fined for doing what Cummings did, that will not be reviewed or revoked. Latest from government.

If that doesn’t mean a 2 track justice system, I'm not sure what does.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It would appear that IF a person has been fined for doing what Cummings did, that will not be reviewed or revoked. Latest from government.

If that doesn’t mean a 2 track justice system, I'm not sure what does.
What like the London Bridge grouping, or the media scrum outside Cummings house, or the Kinnocks etc etc? You haven't really thought this through again have you. Any source for this btw?

Boris managed to enunciate a clear vision because Cummings told him what to say

Archie
Johnson is the most electorally successful politician of his generation. He won two London mayoral elections without Cummings. The latter cake into the PMs inner circle because Gove brought him in to Vote Leave. Boris was writing articles that enunciated a clear vision of what Britain should look like long before he became Mayor.

I think you miss what Cummings brings to Johnsonism.

What like the London Bridge grouping, or the media scrum outside Cummings house, or the Kinnocks etc etc? You haven't really thought this through again have you. Any source for this btw?
It was just announced on LBC. People who did what Cummings did, and has been fully endorsed by BJ and co, and were fined, will not get a review or the fine revoked. How does that work?

I suspect we will know by the end of this week whether this country is run by our democratically elected government or by Laura K and her ilk pursuing their vendetta.
You forgot the third option, an unelected "career psychopath" who drives to test his eyes....

You forgot the third option, an unelected "career psychopath" who drives to test his eyes....

You'll never get through to some people. The kind of people lecturing Wets on supposedly not knowing his job because he said he had no powers to enforce lockdown, and the kinds of people cheering at videos of people getting their front doors kicked in by the police for having suspected parties are now cheering on DC for driving from London to Durham at the height of lockdown, whilst symptomatic.

Last edited:
So he’s an employee. Anyone else firing their employees for breaking lockdown? If, indeed, he did break the rules.

I’m pretty sure an employer who firing an employee for an unproven and unprovable lockdown infraction would end up in a tribunal defending an unfair dismissal case.

Unlike career whiner Ian "**** you plebs" Blackford who couldn't even be arrsed to make up an excuse for ignoring the travel ban and travelling the length of the country, stopping several times.

So he’s an employee. Anyone else firing their employees for breaking lockdown? If, indeed, he did break the rules.

I’m pretty sure an employer who firing an employee for an unproven and unprovable lockdown infraction would end up in a tribunal defending an unfair dismissal case.
I would like BoJo to stand up to his own traitors and the rest of the howling mob and state that he will sack cummings when starmer sacks his 4! - it would be interesting to see if his own traitors would then direct their attention to starmer and if the media/howling mob would do the same because if they didn't it would be proof positive it is purely a political witch hunt against this one person and the Tory Govt

I would like BoJo to stand up to his own traitors and the rest of the howling mob and state that he will sack cummings when starmer sacks his 4! - it would be interesting to see if his own traitors would then direct their attention to starmer and if the media/howling mob would do the same because if they didn't it would be proof positive it is purely a political witch hunt against this one person and the Tory Govt
Don’t bank on it.
Lisa Nandy was interviewed on the Today programme about 30’ ago.
The main thrust was her letter to Raab telling the Govt to do more about the situation in Hong Kong. Fine.
The subject turned to harassment of Cummings outside his house.
Nandy was asked if she supported Thornberry’s support of such action in a twaat.
‘Hullo? Lisa Nandy, are you there?
No, she’s gone!’

ETA: The Express is reporting Nandy has been flamed on Twatter for supporting Kinnock Jr’s drive to visit his parents in an interview on GMB. This must have been before she spoke on Today.
So no surprise she (was) cut off.

Last edited:
Slightly different in that the Labour four are all MPs. Starmer doesn’t employ them, so he can’t sack them. He could withdraw the whip or, in the case of those who are shadow ministers, he could fire them from his shadow cabinet. But he can’t actually sack them

Cummings is a temporary civil servant. Boris had the power to sack him, but he has to operate within employment law and the relevant part of the Civil Service Order which defines the employment conditions of a temporary civil servant.

I actually think both Johnson and Starmer are handling this well. Johnson because he is basically ignoring the baying mob and Starmer because he is staying well clear.

This won’t make a jot of difference to the government long term. Boris will only be re-elected if the economy has recovered by 2024. By which time the brouhaha about lockdown infractions will have passed for both parties.

Boris will turn this to his advantage. He’s not kept Cummings because Cummings has dirt. He’s kept Cummings because he’s done nothing wrong. He’s backing his team.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Absolutely not. I wouldn’t contribute if people just echoed my views and blindly agreed with me. I don’t think abuse and personal attacks add to the forum or the debate.
So all we have to do to silence the endless and tedious anti Boris whining you excrete is all say we agree with you?

Right... Do you also have some shares in London Bridge you might be willing to part with?

As has been said before, I just have a feeling the Boris/Cummings combo have ‘gamed’ this over the weekend and are thinking a couple of moves ahead of the pack.