Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
My bold. The same can be said for This Morning. I know how this is going to sound but Phil and Holly have suddenly become Key Workers. In fairness the show is hitting a lot of informative positive notes whilst also providing a bit of humour and uplifting stories. Martin Lewis, the money man is extemely earnest but informative and some of the female doctors are Divs as well as educational (one of them has survived the virus and back to work). One low point was the eminent "influlencers" Matthew Wright and Vanessa (kin) Feltz commenting on the leadership vacuum and advocating that Kier Starmer could be drafted in to fill it. Phil and Holly seemed to agree. Holly is forgiven as she was wearing a short leather skirt and pantyhose. Phil is looking thinner and gayer by the day.
I’m in lockdown like almost everyone else, but I will never be bored enough to watch ITV during the day. You’ve just listed a few examples of why I don’t tune in and that’s before the adverts!
I’ve said elsewhere I’ve just about given up watching any News, as there is very little ‘News’ being shown, just the same old, same old.
BBC News is my usual go to, but much less so now and also, given that Naga takes over sofa duties on Thursday through to Saturday, I’ll be giving it an even bigger ignoring for the next 3 days!

I’m in lockdown like almost everyone else, but I will never be bored enough to watch ITV during the day. You’ve just listed a few examples of why I don’t tune in and that’s before the adverts!
I’ve said elsewhere I’ve just about given up watching any News, as there is very little ‘News’ being shown, just the same old, same old.
BBC News is my usual go to, but much less so now and also, given that Naga takes over sofa duties on Thursday through to Saturday, I’ll be giving it an even bigger ignoring for the next 3 days!
I'm watching UTube way more than mainsteam TV with a bit of Netflix thrown in for good measure. The only mainstream TV I'm watching are the few programmes I watch regularly like The Curse of Oak Island.

Have many here not been infuriated when Major HAS made a rare intervention? ;)
Is that not the point? He has shown himself capable of speaking his mind, yet now keeps quiet, so the question is, why? Obviously the answer isn't necessarily because he despises Boris, it could be that he is dangerously ill himself and unable to respond.

Read the last 7 words.

They did not.

I'm fully over global trade and run a decent sized business with 80% global revenues.

I understand the nation state does not create trade, business does.

However the nation state restricts trade and when it liberalises it then it must be to the benefit of it's companies. Reducing tariffs on x while allowing maintenance of foreign tariffs on y is bad business.

We should reduce tariffs but only on a reciprocal basis. The world will be fecked after this, we will have no shortage of new trade partners and this is no time to drop our pants on the first date.
Actually, they did follow. Trade was mostly tariff free until the Great Depression and Britain was the leading global trading nation throughout the period where we opted tariff free.

It doesn't sound like you are "fully over" global trade; comments like "the aim is to screw Germany, France etc by getting better market access" don't show much understanding of the economics of global trade. The truth is that whenever a country has unilaterally removed tariffs, its trade increases irrespective of whether the other country keeps or removes tariffs. Theres lots of proof out there.

The fact is tariffs are protectionist, so they lead to inefficient domestic industry and higher consumer prices. The problem with reducing tariffs on a reciprocal basis is that it leads to delay and regulation. Nor are tariffs revenue positive; the costs of collecting them negate any revenue benefit.

We don't need governments in the way of trade, we don't need bureaucrats to arrange "better market access" and we definitely don't need tariffs. The best way for Britain to exit the COVID-19 recession is to free up trade.

The only mainstream TV I'm watching are the few programmes I watch regularly like The Curse of Oak Island.
Have they found anything yet? Gave up halfway through Series 3.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Is that not the point? He has shown himself capable of speaking his mind, yet now keeps quiet, so the question is, why? Obviously the answer isn't necessarily because he despises Boris, it could be that he is dangerously ill himself and unable to respond.
Perhaps he has finally realised that he has nothing meaningful, helpful or that anybody may want to hear to add to anything of national importance.

You never know.

53273AAB-49C9-4749-B96E-036F0A702A81.jpeg

Perhaps he has finally realised that he has nothing meaningful, helpful or that anybody may want to hear to add to anything of national importance.

You never know.

View attachment 463978
Oi, he kept Kinnock from being PM so that has to be something in his favour.
(To be more accurate, Kinnock kept Kinnock from being PM but Major did win when the polls said he was in for a hammering).

The answer to that is he is now faced with a fait accompli. He had nothing to do Post Thatcher but tow the political pro European line for precisely the reason that no referendum was called for Maastricht. To revive an old phrase, "when there is nothing to do, do nothing"

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently Boris is milking it for sympathy:

I'd say that words fail me, but I'd be lying. It's just that the vast majority of words that come to mind are unsuitable pre-watershed.

Apparently Boris is milking it for sympathy:

I'd say that words fail me, but I'd be lying. It's just that the vast majority of words that come to mind are unsuitable pre-watershed.
If you're interested, the fragrant Jools has now deleted the original and subsequent posts.

The ignorant, nasty cow.

QC, don't forget then QC it adds a bit of edgy working class credentials
OK Sir Keir Starmer KCB QC MP. Happy now?

. . . and why did you have to drag that cock into the deabte?!

:cool:
Want to see if he takes the same action on this labour belter as he did on yesterdays ;-) I know, I live in hope though.