Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Another one of BoJo's predictions that have come up in spades. I reckon it is more than this being spent

_99609613_8e5e3cfe-4bfe-407a-85d8-4f9526cb0670.jpg

The Virus knackered any plans UK had.
This is damage limitation and the hope we have something resembling an economy at the end of it to get us back on an even keel.
Hobson's choice really. At least we got a pragmatic bunch in charge.
Everyones plans are knackered.

The big advantage we have is we can move fast to do deals now we are free of the EU. Every nation on the planet will be scrambling to get new customers to restart their economy and we can drive a fast hard bargain on global market access. In that regard it's actually a boost to the comparative UK economy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Are we out of Europe yet?

Correction: The EU?

No? Well we're still spending money funding them.
Yes we are out, unfortunately a previous PM tied us in to paying for far too long a time - which ends 31/12/2020.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

The big advantage we have is we can move fast to do deals now we are free of the EU. Every nation on the planet will be scrambling to get new customers to restart their economy and we can drive a fast hard bargain on global market access. In that regard it's actually a boost to the comparative UK economy.
Indeed, and that includes not just manufactured goods but raw materials as well.

Nations don’t get customers. Businesses do. The key to recovery will be to minimise the tax and regulatory burden on business so that it can produce goods and services that are highly competitive in terms of price, quality and availability.

IMHO there is way to much focus on free trade deals and far too little focus on the supply side. In an economy that is significantly focused on high value added goods and services, tariffs are something of an irrelevance. The UK should unilaterally remove all tariffs irrespective of what counter party nations do, thereby reducing input costs for business.

Trade is not a zero sum game.

BobbHope

War Hero
....I was intubated for 10 days in 2018...three weeks in ICU, another week in an isolation ward. ECMO survivor - the NHS saved my life. Just that.

Discharged in late April, for the first month I couldn't walk 1/4 mile to the local paper shop without stopping for a rest. For a former marathoner that was a bit of a grind.

The 'week per day' formula sounds about right from my personal experience.

Lots of walking, lots of lying around counting my lucky stars.

Took me till June to run-walk a 5K...by chance my 50th Park Run.

Two years on - and this.

A tax on Bamboo shoots?
Water Chestnuts ?
Tsingtao beer to cost a bajillion of your English Pounds per pint ? Hmmmm
Understood .. not personally but someone very close with meningococcal septicaemia. A long hard road.

Re the people moaning about the cost is there not such a thing as a War Chest in existence???

God knows what we would do in the event of an Invasion / Incursion......
Name one participant who wasn’t broke after fighting a war, regardless of side or affiliation.

A war chest I guess depends on how long said war goes on for, and then it becomes borrowing and debt.

But hey, it’ll all be over by Christmas.

Nations don’t get customers. Businesses do. The key to recovery will be to minimise the tax and regulatory burden on business so that it can produce goods and services that are highly competitive in terms of price, quality and availability.

IMHO there is way to much focus on free trade deals and far too little focus on the supply side. In an economy that is significantly focused on high value added goods and services, tariffs are something of an irrelevance. The UK should unilaterally remove all tariffs irrespective of what counter party nations do, thereby reducing input costs for business.

Brilliant. Chuck away all your cards before you start.

The aim isn't to screw Nbongwe or Pedro or Bruce.

It's to screw Germany, France etc by getting better market access than they have.

Yes you can have tarrif free sales of mangoes or whatever. In return we want preferential access to your following sectors.

Free trade is never about beating the person you are dealing with, it's about beating the other guy who wants a deal with them.

BobbHope

War Hero
Derbyshire is way out of her depth. I don't know why but she was the blue eyed gal for the BBC getting her own programme. From what I have seen of her show it has gone from a serious morning news analysis with 'magazine' type articles to a soppy show dealing with "womens' issues". Downhill rather than becoming a respected show. I don't think her intellect is large enough to carry a serious news analysis show.

This Covid-19 crisis has been a god-send for her as her show was being axed, now she is on at an important time of day during a national and international crisis. IMO, she and her producers are incapable of rising to the occasion.
My bold. The same can be said for This Morning. I know how this is going to sound but Phil and Holly have suddenly become Key Workers. In fairness the show is hitting a lot of informative positive notes whilst also providing a bit of humour and uplifting stories. Martin Lewis, the money man is extemely earnest but informative and some of the female doctors are Divs as well as educational (one of them has survived the virus and back to work). One low point was the eminent "influlencers" Matthew Wright and Vanessa (kin) Feltz commenting on the leadership vacuum and advocating that Kier Starmer could be drafted in to fill it. Phil and Holly seemed to agree. Holly is forgiven as she was wearing a short leather skirt and pantyhose. Phil is looking thinner and gayer by the day.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I would add, that with virtually every country in the world spending money they don’t have, the established world order (with regards to trade) has been changed in a big way.

Coming out of this, IMO the governments that have their shit in one sock regarding trade will do better than those that look inwards.

Anyway, back at the thread, may I say that three nights in intensive care should be considered worrying, despite the bland ‘he’s in good spirits’ statement.

TamH70

MIA
My bold. The same can be said for This Morning. I know how this is going to sound but Phil and Holly have suddenly become Key Workers. In fairness the show is hitting a lot of informative positive notes whilst also providing a bit of humour and uplifting stories. Martin Lewis, the money man is extemely earnest but informative and some of the female doctors are Divs as well as educational (one of them has survived the virus and back to work). One low point was the eminent "influlencers" Matthew Wright and Vanessa (kin) Feltz commenting on the leadership vacuum and advocating that Kier Starmer could be drafted in to fill it. Phil and Holly seemed to agree. Holly is forgiven as she was wearing a short leather skirt and pantyhose. Phil is looking thinner and gayer by the day.
I am ever more glad that I use my telly as a mahoosive monitor for my PC more than I use it to watch Cooncil' Telly. Particularly since I feel that if I did watch too much of it during this crisis I'd have to choose which pair of boots I'd use to kick it through all the walls its back is facing and that would be annoying as I have that many of them.

BobbHope

War Hero
I am ever more glad that I use my telly as a mahoosive monitor for my PC more than I use it to watch Cooncil' Telly. Particularly since I feel that if I did watch too much of it during this crisis I'd have to choose which pair of boots I'd use to kick it through all the walls its back is facing and that would be annoying as I have that many of them *.
Yeah man. TV is for the muggles right. How else we gonna control them. Monitors best used for killing pixles hey?

* Boots or back walls for kicking in?

Brilliant. Chuck away all your cards before you start.

The aim isn't to screw Nbongwe or Pedro or Bruce.

It's to screw Germany, France etc by getting better market access than they have.

Yes you can have tarrif free sales of mangoes or whatever. In return we want preferential access to your following sectors.

Free trade is never about beating the person you are dealing with, it's about beating the other guy who wants a deal with them.
The fallacy of viewing the state as a single entity which only maximises its wealth. It isn't; read Adam Smith who recognise 300 plus years ago that national do not trade. Unilateral free trade is not giving away all the cards before starting, trade is not a zero sum game. Get rid of import tariffs and you reduce input costs. Reduce input costs and you reduce price. So you encourage more trade. More trade creates more jobs and pays more taxes.

Businesses beat the other guy, not nations. They do so by having goods and services that are better in terms of cost, quality and availability. Governments can facilitate that by making a business friendly environment; low corporate taxes, low regulatory burden, access to an educated workforce, labour market flexibility, a functioning ecosystem for attracting investment etc etc. Businesses can then win trade through effective marketing. Actually going out there and placing the right product in the right place, promoting it at the right price. Governments don’t sell anything. Hence my point; Boris the PM needs to free up business to compete, not focus on highfaluting treaties that regulate trade.

We do plenty of trade with countries with which we have no free trade agreement, yet have a massive trade deficit with the block of countries with which we currently have a free trade agreement. Go figure. Free trade agreements do not create free trade; they are negotiated by bureaucrats who seek to agree regulations that constrain trade. They do not have remove obstacles to commerce; free trade deals are inherently protectionist.

Britain wealth was built on unilateral free trade. To close, I'm going to quote Sir Robert Peel, who warned in 1846, when the Corn Laws were repealed:

“I trust the government ... will not resume the policy which they and we have found most inconvenient, namely the haggling with foreign countries about reciprocal concessions, instead of taking that independent course which we believe to be conducive to our own interests. ... Let, therefore, our commerce be as free as our institutions. Let us proclaim commerce free, and nation after nation will follow our example.”

The fallacy of viewing the state as a single entity which only maximises its wealth. It isn't; read Adam Smith who recognise 300 plus years ago that national do not trade. Unilateral free trade is not giving away all the cards before starting, trade is not a zero sum game. Get rid of import tariffs and you reduce input costs. Reduce input costs and you reduce price. So you encourage more trade. More trade creates more jobs and pays more taxes.

Businesses beat the other guy, not nations. They do so by having goods and services that are better in terms of cost, quality and availability. Governments can facilitate that by making a business friendly environment; low corporate taxes, low regulatory burden, access to an educated workforce, labour market flexibility, a functioning ecosystem for attracting investment etc etc. Businesses can then win trade through effective marketing. Actually going out there and placing the right product in the right place, promoting it at the right price. Governments don’t sell anything. Hence my point; Boris the PM needs to free up business to compete, not focus on highfaluting treaties that regulate trade.

We do plenty of trade with countries with which we have no free trade agreement, yet have a massive trade deficit with the block of countries with which we currently have a free trade agreement. Go figure. Free trade agreements do not create free trade; they are negotiated by bureaucrats who seek to agree regulations that constrain trade. They do not have remove obstacles to commerce; free trade deals are inherently protectionist.

Britain wealth was built on unilateral free trade. To close, I'm going to quote Sir Robert Peel, who warned in 1846, when the Corn Laws were repealed:

“I trust the government ... will not resume the policy which they and we have found most inconvenient, namely the haggling with foreign countries about reciprocal concessions, instead of taking that independent course which we believe to be conducive to our own interests. ... Let, therefore, our commerce be as free as our institutions. Let us proclaim commerce free, and nation after nation will follow our example.”
Read the last 7 words.

They did not.

I'm fully over global trade and run a decent sized business with 80% global revenues.

I understand the nation state does not create trade, business does.

However the nation state restricts trade and when it liberalises it then it must be to the benefit of it's companies. Reducing tariffs on x while allowing maintenance of foreign tariffs on y is bad business.

We should reduce tariffs but only on a reciprocal basis. The world will be fecked after this, we will have no shortage of new trade partners and this is no time to drop our pants on the first date.

Re the people moaning about the cost is there not such a thing as a War Chest in existence???

God knows what we would do in the event of an Invasion / Incursion......
The UK Contingency Fund will (probably) take up some of the initial slack:

'The Contingencies Fund Act 1974 sets the size of the fund as two percent of the amount of the government budget in the preceding year.'