Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
My late mother in law, who died last year, was certified as dying of 'frailty of old age'.

Or being 93 and running out of breath.

And not one option for d. Old age and has reached the end of life.
My Dad died aged 93 and it was put down to COPD.
My Mum also died a couple of years later at aged 93. Put down as asthma.
When I was asked at the funeral of my Dad what he died of, I replied "He was 93".
It always saddened me (and still does) that a doctor was/is not allowed to give the cause as old age
After a long life to be recorded as dying of Old Age seemed/seems more dignified than a jumble of legally required "reasons"

When I was asked at the funeral of my Dad what he died of, I replied "He was 93".
Indeed, and from a layman’s point of view, dying of old age is perfectly reasonable, but from a medical perspective there is always a clinical reason which if successfully counteracted will allow the patient to reach an older age.

Clinicians won’t stop fighting to reverse, stop or at the very least slow down the progress of a disease because the patient is old, though there can sometimes be difficult decisions needed, though that’s not so much based on age of the patient so much as frailty.

Just as for accidents (car crash, etc.), an individual won’t die of old age, but because the ceiling of care has been reached and there’s nothing more that the clinicians can do, at which point End of Life care is considered.

I expect honesty and a candid appraisal of the situation, not half-truths and obfuscation.

I would expect minimal information to be given directly to the public from the clinicians who are looking after the PM; they have a duty of care to their patient, not the public and their priority is to keep family members informed and relevant key government personnel.

The government on the other hand has a duty to the country first and foremost, and I would suggest being economical with the truth is unhelpful and counter-productive, as evidenced by the daily Covid-19 press briefings.

I think it was Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, who a few days ago conducted the daily briefing as if it were a political interview and simply ignored and refused to answer any questions he didn’t like.

Not surprisingly the following day’s headlines in all the press and media were very, very critical of that approach and the briefings since have been notable for providing wherever possible full and complete answers to all questions, with follow-up questions also being answered.

It’s quite refreshing (as well as important) to have a press conference that is actually informative, rather than the far to frequent soundbites, spin and bullshit.

Considering we’re not at war, I’m interested in who you think is disadvantaged by keeping the public in the dark about the health/condition of the PM.
Fine no problem with that, but half truths are used for a reason. We are not told truths by others. The unvarnished truth could spark panic and do more harm than good. Briefings have two functions. To let people know what the official line is. The other is to inform. The latter is of questionable value and I certainly do not watch them. As the “eye” put it , Some 149.k... people died in Britain in the first quarter. 148k went unremarked and did not die of Covid.
The second factor is that the scientific community still don’t know everything. There may be alternative strategies, but the Government have acted on the best scientific advice available. That may not be right, but it is something. MSM are in any event critical of anything Conservative and unsurprisingly, the best placed people are not running the country.
Now the third factor is the reporting of the number of deaths and the veracity of the figures presented. Three of my extended family have what appears to be the illness. One is a semi retired Nurse, she is recovering from it. Another is a retired Fireman. One of my ex Colleagues is recovering from it. The lesson is keep a perspective, do not take the media too seriously.
I am getting to a point when I am fast approaching borrowed time and each day is a Brucie bonus.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
It always saddened me (and still does) that a doctor was/is not allowed to give the cause as old age
After a long life to be recorded as dying of Old Age seemed/seems more dignified than a jumble of legally required "reasons"
The doctor who certified my mother's death last year at the age of 99 did just that, I'm pleased to say.

That truck driver a few years back... dïckhead kids throwing rocks off a motorway bridge at vehicles. One hits a truck. The driver suffered a heart attack, lost control of the truck and crashed. Is the cause of death the crush injuries suffered in the crash, the heart attack that pre-empted the crash, the dïckheads’ illegal actions, or possibly an underlying heart condition making the driver susceptible to heart attack?

I assume the reason the guy died was injuries suffered in the crash, but does the cause of those injuries get recorded, or the last event that ended his life?

BTW, I hope the little bastards suffer guilt for the rest of their lives.

The rule was the exercise would end when 10% of troops had died. If you remember the tinned salmon poisoning from the ratpacks, also the Royal Signals guys who died through carbon monoxide poisoning when wet cam nets kept the exhaust gases within the cam covered area*. Finally, IIRC a troop of Tankies died when a tank or two went over a ledge during a night move (someone please confirm that one - it could have been exercise traffic but I'm sure it was a NODUF).

* shortly after we were given extension exhausts which extended out of the covered area.
@dave8307, I hope you have your percentages wrong.
Ex Lionheart involved 131000 pax which would required 13100 deaths to cancel it.

Even at a 1% casualty rate that would have required 1310 deaths.

It was a bloody long time ago but ISTR being told that exercises (such as Ex Packsaddle in the late eighties) would be cancelled when the deaths hit double figures.

Slime

LE
It has ben good to see various leaders of foreign countries wishing Boris a speedy recovery.

It has been good to see the various political party leaders around the U.K. wish Boris a Spe recovery.

It has been good to hear various U.K. MPs wishing Boris a speedy recovery.

Then of course there is Jeremy Corbyn. If his words mentioned on various ARRSE threads are correct he never actually wished Boris a speedy recovery, but chose to praise the NHS after saying he was ’thinking’ of Boris.

Maybe posters here cut short what Corbyn said, and he did say more, including wishing Boris a speedy recovery.

It has ben good to see various leaders of foreign countries wishing Boris a speedy recovery.

It has been good to see the various political party leaders around the U.K. wish Boris a Spe recovery.

Then of course there is Jeremy Corbyn. If his words mentioned on various ARRSE threads are correct he never actually wished Boris a speedy recovery, but chose to praise the NHS after saying he was ’thinking’ of Boris.

Maybe posters here cut short what Corbyn said, and he did say more, including wishing Boris a speedy recovery.
It is probably unwise to use arrse as a primary source on matters surrounding Comrade Corbyn.

Truxx

LE
Another observation.

One issue the daily briefings cannot address is that they cannot reach a sizeable portion of the population, and the quality of the briefing makes no difference.

A growing number of the population never watch TV news, and don’t get any of their news from mainstream or TV media.

I’ve listened to a number of articles that point out that many young people will never see these TV briefings despite there being a TV in the home they live in.
Talking with one of my kids it was interesting that he has heard many in his age group who are getting ALL their info from social media. Sadly, after having a look at some examples there are far too many outlets claiming:
The government are telling lies.
It’s all to do with 5G
It’s a chinese weapon.
It’s to control the population etc etc.
Hence why I said "across all platforms"

An observation on the daily press briefing would be that someone in No10 needs to grip it a bit. What it needs to decide is just who the audience is. At present it veers and hauls between addressing the media ( which is what the political speakers tend towards) and addressing the public. It seems to work best doing the latter- not sure if it goes out live across all platforms but it needs to.

Otherwise the egos control the agenda. Which, in some cases is Ok, but in other cases not.

Boris is very good at talking directly to you and I while seeming to be talking to the hacks. Others are less adroit.

I love the medics though, they talk to the hacks like they are patients with a nasty little rash. Top marks to them.
They should make better use of social media to bypass the legacy media. That way the message they want to be received can make it to the intended audience intact without being manipulated by biased and corrupt media.

Truxx

LE
When my dad died the arrangements were down to we three brothers.

My young brother had cause to phone the coroner after his post mortem

So he died of such and such.....

Oh and so and so....

Oh and that as well!

Anything else?

Right that too eh?

And that....

And that as well....

Hang on. We don't have time for this.

Why don't you just tell me what he didn't die of?

Truxx

LE
They should make better use of social media to bypass the legacy media. That way the message they want to be received can make it to the intended audience intact without being manipulated by biased and corrupt media.
all platforms.

Including text messages.

Another really strong avenue is local media, always forgotten in Whitehall.

TBH, I'd given JC the benefit of the doubt. I do use the term ' thinking of someone ' when I wish them better.

Latest Threads