Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Queen - Operation London Bridge
Phillip - Operation Forth Bridge
Charles - Operation Menai Bridge

Boris - Operation Garden Bridge...

Pravda does lots of positive news. Is that what you want?
TBF Grac, there's positive news that's truthful and stuff that ain't . We can truthfully say we're getting better survival rates etc, and we should be on the up. Yes this is bad and people have died, but there's survivors too.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Read what I said. Five times in 30 minutes she had clairification of the fact that the First Secretary of State was de facto the PM in all but name in the interum. She then asked if the First Secretary of State was the best person for the job, in spite of being told that this is what the "constitution" has decreed is the best option.
As to @Auld-Yin - she had cancer, dontchaknow? She's even more untouchable than Marr at the moment.
I did indeed know as the programme kept telling us, again and again and again! Marr is suffering from the after affects of a serious stroke so it is starting to look like the BBC are including illness to the criteria for LGBTXYZ+ to the recruitment of presenters!

Absolutely not, but you knew that.
Just like I also know that there's a thread dedicated to whining about the BBC for those who use these two as role models.
old gits.jpg

And widely reported elsewhere. The sad fact is that this pandemic, as with almost all others, disproportionately affects poor (which generally equates to ethnic) communities.

Are you say that the BBC shouldn't report this - and report the comments made by leading figures?
Annnnd whoosh!

The headline: Coronavirus wreaks havoc in African American neighbourhoods

The body of the piece: ' As of 5 April, 1,824 out of Chicago's 4,680 confirmed Covid-19 cases were black residents, said city officials on Monday. . . '

Though the article does make reference to other US cities, it provides no data.

So, from a teaser headline that suggests that the corpses of dead Black US citizens are littering the streets of the country from coast to coast, the article provides data for one US city.

The headline is at once both inaccurate and highly suggestive.

I expect honesty and a candid appraisal of the situation, not half-truths and obfuscation.

I would expect minimal information to be given directly to the public from the clinicians who are looking after the PM; they have a duty of care to their patient, not the public and their priority is to keep family members informed and relevant key government personnel.

The government on the other hand has a duty to the country first and foremost, and I would suggest being economical with the truth is unhelpful and counter-productive, as evidenced by the daily Covid-19 press briefings.

I think it was Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, who a few days ago conducted the daily briefing as if it were a political interview and simply ignored and refused to answer any questions he didn’t like.

Not surprisingly the following day’s headlines in all the press and media were very, very critical of that approach and the briefings since have been notable for providing wherever possible full and complete answers to all questions, with follow-up questions also being answered.

It’s quite refreshing (as well as important) to have a press conference that is actually informative, rather than the far to frequent soundbites, spin and bullshit.

Considering we’re not at war, I’m interested in who you think is disadvantaged by keeping the public in the dark about the health/condition of the PM.
Which is why Hancock generally got plaudits off the press, not because they like him but because he was all over his bief. Which is what triggered the ST backstabbing article I think.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Derbyshire is way out of her depth. I don't know why but she was the blue eyed gal for the BBC getting her own programme. From what I have seen of her show it has gone from a serious morning news analysis with 'magazine' type articles to a soppy show dealing with "womens' issues". Downhill rather than becoming a respected show. I don't think her intellect is large enough to carry a serious news analysis show.

This Covid-19 crisis has been a god-send for her as her show was being axed, now she is on at an important time of day during a national and international crisis. IMO, she and her producers are incapable of rising to the occasion.
Not related to the virus, but I would suggest Derbyshire got her tv gig with women’s issues after her long running and very successful BBC radio show.......that was a magazine style show that covered many women’s issues :)

When she was in the radio I used to cynically think she was never happy until she had a ‘crying guest’ or guest who made the audience cry.

For a start, I’d like to see a bit more emphasis on the positives, such as how many people have actually had the virus, have recovered and are back in work, rather than the constant ‘Breaking News’ banner reporting yet more death across the country. I would also like to see an in depth report on what “underlying health issues” actually means, as it would appear that most of the victims have passed away with those underlying issues, as well as Covid 19.
A bit more of the positive (and I don’t mean the schmaltz and constantly showing ‘look at me’ YouTube videos) rather than the constant doom mongering would be beneficial to us all. I’m not just having a go at the BBC by the way, they are all at it; that’s why I very rarely switch the TV on for News these days.
I totally agree with you on the lack of positives being reported
AND the underlying health issues that lead to their deaths last night they were reporting that a number of people had died , from a young age to 106.... 106 FFS alright , he may have died WITH co-vid 19 symptoms , but underlying health problems , he did bloody well getting that old as it was , but don't let that get in the way of a good story

And widely reported elsewhere. The sad fact is that this pandemic, as with almost all others, disproportionately affects poor (which generally equates to ethnic) communities.

Are you say that the BBC shouldn't report this - and report the comments made by leading figures?
I would, yes.

This is a time the BBC, as a government funded mouthpiece*, should be speaking to the Nation as a whole not certain parts of it, and passing on facts and specific information on the virus, methods of avoidance, current treatments and not flim flam like this dressed as important to hide the pc nature of this sort of stuff.

*Supposedly although I've seen little evidence of that in recent years

TBF Grac, there's positive news that's truthful and stuff that ain't . We can truthfully say we're getting better survival rates etc, and we should be on the up. Yes this is bad and people have died, but there's survivors too.
Did you watch the ICU visit link I put up? Was that not positive? As I've said, we have a thread dedicated to whining about the BBC, why make this another?

Annnnd whoosh!

The headline: Coronavirus wreaks havoc in African American neighbourhoods

The body of the piece: ' As of 5 April, 1,824 out of Chicago's 4,680 confirmed Covid-19 cases were black residents, said city officials on Monday. . . '

Though the article does make reference to other US cities, it provides no data.

So, from a teaser headline that suggests that the corpses of dead Black US citizens are littering the streets of the country from coast to coast, the article provides data for one US city.

The headline is at once both inaccurate and highly suggestive.
FFS. Is that it?

To be fair, this is quite a story. Firstly the acute condition of the Prime minister in the midst of a crisis and secondly the issue of succession, which is anything but constitutionally clear on the UK. Both valid issues for the national (not the state) broadcaster to address.
There is no succession. Boris is the PM not Royalty and the process is quite clear when/if he needs to be replaced, as has already been mentioned and actually shown quite recently, remember DC & TM?

Just like I also know that there's a thread dedicated to whining about the BBC for those who use these two as role models.
View attachment 463396
You are absolutely right about the thread drift - my original post belongs elsewhere, though to be fair it was in response to @Filthy_contract and his opinion of the BBC coverage. I’ll keep my comments on this thread on the subject matter, Boris. Get well soon PM!

You are absolutely right about the thread drift - my original post belongs elsewhere, though to be fair it was in response to @Filthy_contract and his opinion of the BBC coverage. I’ll keep my comments on this thread on the subject matter, Boris. Get well soon PM!
Indeed, get well soon PM.

I agree entirely with what you say, but can't help wondering why three different journalists think that repeating the question is going to get a different answer the third time from the one given first.

And whether a truly honest answer would be merely reported or used to create giant apocalyptic headlines by those who rather enjoy thinking they control the narrative, rather than report it.
Indeed, and I agree that nothing is achieved by successive journalists asking the same question, particularly if it was answered as fully as possible the first time around.

I suppose it possibly highlights how important that question is in the mind of the journalists asking, perhaps.

However, poor journalism and political agendas shouldn’t be used as an excuse for spin and half-truths, particularly when the information is literally a matter of life and death (I’m not talking specifically about the PM, but about the Covid-19 coverage).

It never ceases to amaze me how much bandwidth is taken up by politicians and officials trying to spin a message with dubious data and soundbites and then having to expend an amazing amount of effort justifying the unjustifiable, when simply providing the full picture to start with would give journos and opposition nowhere to go, or at least considerably narrow down their options.

Latest Threads