Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Not just on this thread, you have had a sad-on for Boris since he became PM. If you don't believe me, read your own posts.
That’s not in dispute, I have recently though given him the benefit of the doubt on numerous occasions as he appears to have changed and become less buffoonish, gaffe prone and started acting in a more Prime Ministerial manner. Very welcome and I hope he recovers soon.

However in this instance that’s most definitely not the case, my posts on the matter are there to be read. Maybe your inability to distinguish that is something you need to address.

Interestingly the attacks on military pensions by a poster, seem to have gone unchallenged. Earned over years of deployments and danger, he seems to begrudge soldiers the conditions they signed up for. The previous government also disliked these pensions and took them away, only to be humiliated in the courts recently with a reinstatement likely for many.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Truxx

LE
Unfortunately, people like truxx, and he is not alone, expect perfect, immediately, as it is their 'right'.
100% not so.

There is no point, fo instance, promising help to self employed plumbers but then saying you cannot have it till June at the earliest, then expecting the money grabbing banks to fill the gap with business continuity loans made against the personal assets of the individual.

One of the things I was proud of in the military was the speed that issues could be identified and fed back up the chain of command, then dealt with. OK, it could be a bit clunky at times but from the corporal telling the senior visitor that some bit of kit was w*nk to the more formal process there was a genuine sense that the system valued learning from experience.

So I do not expect things to be right, and I do not expect them to be now, but I do expect an ability to feed back ground truth, especially in a fast moving scenario. Unfortunately, as General Ramsbottom pointed out when he was HM Inspector of Prisons (just before he was, unknown to him, "retired") the trouble is that so many of the layers of functionary think that because something is written down (or announced) that it is going to happen.

My daughter rents her house, via an agent, from the church. With work rapidly drying up she approached the diocese for a bit of a break with her rent. If you can't pay it, she was told we (the agent) will find a tenant who will.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
What would you suggest then? and how would you implement this new procedure with a shortage of staff?
All struggling invited to sign up for an improved universal credit, set at, say minimum wage for a 36 hour week (an early treasury staff proposal according to No1 daughter). No new systems required.

As it happens it is exactly what many are now doing, albeit the monthly payment is less than 400 quid

Unfortunately, people like truxx, and he is not alone, expect perfect, immediately, as it is their 'right'.
Have a big like for that. It’s one of those rare situations where those who can, do. Those who wait for someone else to provide whilst complaining that others over whom they have no control haven’t provided will struggle.

The reality is that the Government is dealing with an unprecedented crisis. Sure, we can all carp that this was entirely predictable but, rather like defence, who would have gone to the country with a plan to invest in contingencies for a pandemic that may never have happened? The zeitgeist was global warming not covoid flu.

The only thing ministers can do is provide leadership and make decisions that facilitate coming out of this. If they get half their decisions half right they’ll be doing well.

The vast majority of those who complain have never delivered anything from scratch. They’re operators; people who work in a system following procedures bereft of a novel idea let alone the ability to execute it.

My daughter rents her house, via an agent, from the church. With work rapidly drying up she approached the diocese for a bit of a break with her rent. If you can't pay it, she was told we (the agent) will find a tenant who will.
Going to take a VERY long time to evict her.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
All struggling invited to sign up for an improved universal credit, set at, say minimum wage for a 36 hour week (an early treasury staff proposal according to No1 daughter). No new systems required.

As it happens it is exactly what many are now doing, albeit the monthly payment is less than 400 quid
That would be actioned by the UC team who are struggling just now with 500000 new applications? Another million or so would be just dandy.

The measures are designed to help people and ease them through this troublesome time. It is not and never has been an instantaneous process. If, in normal circumstances, someone lost their job, it took 5 weeks to get a UC payment. That was when the system was working as it was meant to.

At every stage BoJo has been very clear that payments would be made as quickly as possible - not overnight. This is really a manifestation of the 'entitled' generation that we have foisted upon us. I blame my generation.

I don't have much money, just living off my pension basically but I always have a full larder and bills paid with a wee bit spare for emergencies. Time people started to work that way instead of living on the edge. Sometimes that edge becomes a precipice.

One of the things I was proud of in the military was the speed that issues could be identified and fed back up the chain of command, then dealt with. OK, it could be a bit clunky at times but from the corporal telling the senior visitor that some bit of kit was w*nk to the more formal process there was a genuine sense that the system valued learning from experience.
The same military that lost 37 in Snatch Landrovers despite warnings that they were entirely inappropriate even as they were arriving in Iraq? That three years later was still claiming they were appropriate for patrolling in dense urban environments?

There are no politicians with experience of leading a country through a pandemic. There are no civil servants with experience of building emergency infrastructure from scratch. There are no health workers with experience of running health through a pandemic.

And, on the subject if hardship payments, there are no Treasury staff with experience of dispensing huge sums of money to a huge, entitled. population.

If they get half their decisions half right, they’re doing well.

Truxx

What Military did you serve in ? The above paragraph resembles nothing that I witnessed in 22 years.

offog

LE
Of course. Not very Christian though? I thought we were all in this together.
Sorry, just remind me which church got the most compensation when slavery was abolished in the British colonies?

Christian values and the church do not go hand in hand.

Truxx

LE
Have a big like for that. It’s one of those rare situations where those who can, do. Those who wait for someone else to provide whilst complaining that others over whom they have no control haven’t provided will struggle.

The reality is that the Government is dealing with an unprecedented crisis. Sure, we can all carp that this was entirely predictable but, rather like defence, who would have gone to the country with a plan to invest in contingencies for a pandemic that may never have happened? The zeitgeist was global warming not covoid flu.

The only thing ministers can do is provide leadership and make decisions that facilitate coming out of this. If they get half their decisions half right they’ll be doing well.

The vast majority of those who complain have never delivered anything from scratch. They’re operators; people who work in a system following procedures bereft of a novel idea let alone the ability to execute it.
You miss my point, although your last para is worthy of further consideration

It is all very well having leadership and making decisions, but beneath that you need unity of purpose and leadership at all levels. Mission command if you will. I am 100% impressed by the decisions ands leadership at the strategic level, below that though, the story is less impressive.

As it is we have armies of "doers" who are nothing of the sort, and will not lift a finger till someone higher gives them detailed functional direction. And no muthafcuking virus is going to change that anytime soon

Anyone who has worked with the US army and tried to get a decision or direction from anyone lower then a full bird colonel will know exactly what I mean.

As for contingency planning I thought that we were all into business continuity these days? Yet the poor council lass I was chatting to at length yesterday (she was working from home) could not even log onto the council supplied laptop.

Truxx

LE
Truxx

What Military did you serve in ? The above paragraph resembles nothing that I witnessed in 22 years.
Fair point...although when you compare it to civvy strasse it was bloody world class.

See Rose Gentle and Snatch landrover for further details.

From the church you say, one of God’s portfolio of rental properties...?

“What the Lord Giveth, the Lord taketh away if thoust payeth not the monthly rent” is a very well known verse from the bible.​

One may reasonably expect the church to be example settingly charitable and flexible in times of extreme hardship such as now but no... its little more than a money grabbing bunch of cnutish and exceedingly efficient scam artists in funny clothes (the great Sky Pixie scam). Bunch of cnuts.

Truxx

LE
From the church you say, one of God’s portfolio of rental properties...?

“What the Lord Giveth, the Lord taketh away if thoust payeth not the monthly rent” is a very well known verse from the bible.​

One may reasonably expect the church to be example settingly charitable and flexible in times of extreme hardship such as now but no... its little more than a money grabbing bunch of cnutish and exceedingly efficient scam artists in funny clothes (the great Sky Pixie scam). Bunch of cnuts.
Some of the stuff in the instruction manual (sorry bible) is worth a look though

Try Isiah 26:20

Going to take a VERY long time to evict her.
And if the incoming tenant discovers the church are really a money grabbing lot may not after all accept the munificent and benevolence of this very rich landlord. And I'd nick the lead of the church roof as compensation. :cool:

Latest Threads