Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
So, not only would you have no objection if tax on those pensions is increased to help fund the recovery, you would actively advocate such a measure?
I’m not receiving anything extra over this period that requires paying back. In fact I’m out working everyday. Companies that go back to making a healthy profit after receiving tax payer assistance aren’t comparable to police officers.

I fully expect a tax increase in the near future and a virtually non existent pay rise, because of the current situation, so I will end up helping out.

In the same way that normal people suffered after some banks had to be bailed out in 2008 after behaving like *********.

Are you in receipt of your military pension yet?

Not for me to say. And I can virtually guarantee others are at it.

This is an emerging thing - so mind if I give it a day or so? It directly affects a member of the truxx clan so I need to tread with care.

I would drag the tw*t (the business owner)out of his posh house and tar and feather him but I need to leave off for 24 hours......
I hope that after this is over, shitty little spiv tactics like this and others are broadcast and priorities adjusted.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m not receiving anything extra over this period that requires paying back. In fact I’m out working everyday. Companies that go back to making a healthy profit after receiving tax payer assistance aren’t comparable to police officers.

I fully expect a tax increase in the near future and a virtually non existent pay rise, because of the current situation, so I will end up helping out.

In the same way that normal people suffered after some banks had to be bailed out in 2008 after behaving like *********.

Are you in receipt of your military pension yet?
Normal people suffered after 2008 because the governments they elected had behaved like ***** by deregulating the banks (Brown), loosening lending criteria for political reasons to introduce a stream of bad debt that was co mingled into the international lending system (the repeal of chunks of Glass-Steagall and the introduction of the Housing and Community Development Act - Clinton) and the maxing out of national credit cards by pretty much every western government of the previous decade based on the availability of cheap credit (except Canada which had learned the hard way a few years earlier) and the belief that cheap credit would last forever (that's right, the increase in police that you bang on about was funded by unsustainable borrowing). Austerity wasn't just about funding bank bailouts, it was also about dealing with the two equally large deficits caused by PFI addiction and massive public sector liabilities (much of which were pension-based because John Prescott thought that the way to tackle unemployment was massive expansion of the public sector).

Again, you're original post made no distinction between organisations which had received support and those which had not. You've only introduced that because you forgot that you were not among your fellow doughnut hunters in the canteen and got caught talking shoite whilst in mid-public sector rant.

Since you ask, my pensionable military service isn't worth a hill of beans. As was pointed out at the time, I was one of the cheaper soldiers to send to Iraq. Sadly, someone of my acquaintance did manage to wangle a very dubious injury-based pension at the price of becoming the most despised creature in the unit. The critter's probably got about ten pensions and become a leading light of the Police Federation by now.

And a 4th announced in the budget of 17th march, that is to say a support package for small businesses which forgot to define what a small business actually is.

hence all my bonequestions.

no1 daughter (and treasury wonk) went through some of the self employed provisions today (she has been working on parts of it)

long story short, you have to be in profit beyond the zero rate of tax threshold (12k) to be eligible for a penny.

Profit is averaged out over three years. So if in your first year of trading you made a loss, broke even in year two and made just under 3 times the threshold (say, 35k ) in year three you would get no help.

Apparently the treasury folks wanted to base it on straight average income, but this was subsequently altered to its current, almost useless, form.

You presumed wrong. There is no definition that I or anyone else can find.
thanks for that, which makes it somewhat odd to use a term there is no definition for.

Normal people suffered after 2008 because the governments they elected had behaved like ***** by deregulating the banks (Brown), loosening lending criteria for political reasons to introduce a stream of bad debt that was co mingled into the international lending system (the repeal of chunks of Glass-Steagall and the introduction of the Housing and Community Development Act - Clinton) and the maxing out of national credit cards by pretty much every western government of the previous decade based on the availability of cheap credit (except Canada which had learned the hard way a few years earlier) and the belief that cheap credit would last forever (that's right, the increase in police that you bang on about was funded by unsustainable borrowing). Austerity wasn't just about funding bank bailouts, it was also about dealing with the two equally large deficits caused by PFI addiction and massive public sector liabilities (much of which were pension-based because John Prescott thought that the way to tackle unemployment was massive expansion of the public sector).

Again, you're original post made no distinction between organisations which had received support and those which had not. You've only introduced that because you forgot that you were not among your fellow doughnut hunters in the canteen and got caught talking shoite whilst in mid-public sector rant.

Since you ask, my pensionable military service isn't worth a hill of beans. As was pointed out at the time, I was one of the cheaper soldiers to send to Iraq. Sadly, someone of my acquaintance did manage to wangle a very dubious injury-based pension at the price of becoming the most despised creature in the unit. The critter's probably got about ten pensions and become a leading light of the Police Federation by now.
Your pension is directly relatable to the amount of service you put in and the rank you reached, if you didn’t serve very long or get promoted, if isn’t going to be worth much.
Nobodies pension liability or daily wage is calculated when a unit sends you to Iraq. You get paid the daily rate equivalent to your time served and rank. What you said is just weird.

How did someone who received a medical pension out of the military, get through the medical screening to get into the police? I will do some research of the leading lights of The Fed and see who are ex mil, shouldn’t be too difficult.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Your pension is directly relatable to the amount of service you put in and the rank you reached, if you didn’t serve very long or get promoted, if isn’t going to be worth much.
Nobodies pension liability or daily wage is calculated when a unit sends you to Iraq. You get paid the daily rate equivalent to your time served and rank. What you said is just weird.

How did someone who received a medical pension out of the military, get through the medical screening to get into the police? I will do some research of the leading lights of The Fed and see who are ex mil, shouldn’t be too difficult.
Erm, have you ever heard of the Territorial Army?

Re the Fed comment, I can only conclude that your sense of humour is at one with your grasp of global economic policy since 2000.

jg505

Old-Salt
Silly me I thought this thread was about Boris. I think he is doing a good job.
He is doing a fantastic job even when suffering from CV19. It's such a shame that Corbyn, the fcukin tool, constantly feels the need to undermine the Government and the PM, be funny as **** if he got it and chuffin well snuffed it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Silly me I thought this thread was about Boris. I think he is doing a good job.
Yes, but those of a certain political persuasion want history to say otherwise and portray him as the b@stard offspring of Thatcher and Pinochet and the man who bailed out big business.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
After Churchill, I put Maggie right up there with our greatest leaders.
In the context of BoJo, the often visceral hatred and contempt for Churchill by many sections of the then 'elite' during the 30s makes an interesting comparison.

He is doing a fantastic job even when suffering from CV19. It's such a shame that Corbyn, the fcukin tool, constantly feels the need to undermine the Government and the PM, be funny as **** if he got it and chuffin well snuffed it.
Can you imagine the grief fest in Liverpool if Corbyn snuffed it, the chips on their shoulders would be so large you keep Harry Ramsdens supplied for generations

Last edited:
So what is the definition of a "small business"
There is no standard definition across government. The Department for Business uses the definition below, which comes from the EU. HMRC defines an SME as being less than 500 employees for R&D tax purposes.

Micro business - less than 10 employees, turnover less than £2M

Small business - 10-50 employees, turnover £2-10M

Medium business - 50-250 employees, turnover £10-50M

Large business- more than 250 employees, turnover greater than £50M

jg505

Old-Salt
It must be chuffin killin Corbyn at the moment. Can't remember which one, but one of the TUs has supported BOJO, with what he, and the Government, are doing for the average working class man/woman at this unprecedented time. I just find it extremely unpalatable, when everyone should be pulling together at this time, that chunt Corbyn just wants to keep scoring points and slagging off the government.

Last edited:
He's always been a whinging, obstructive backbencher. The only thing that's changed is his seat in the HoC.

Can you imagine the grief fest in Liverpool if Corbyn snuffed it, the chips on their shoulders would be so large you keep Harry Ramsdens supplied for generations
One thing’s for sure, it won’t match the grandeur of 13 April 2013, when thousands lined the streets of London to show their respect to an iconic Prime Minister. Amongst the throng were many obvious Service types, appropriately suited and booted. I can guarantee, whenever Jeremy karks it, there will be very little (if any) celebration or dancing on his grave from those of us of a Tory persuasion. At the end of the day, it will be the sad passing of a life.
Unlike the unsavoury (no, obscene) ‘celebrations’ witnessed when Margaret Thatcher passed away.
Remember ‘Ding, Dong, the Witch is dead’?
Cretins the lot of them.

Last edited:
As well as chucking lots of cash at it.....
Well consider it defined then. But come on, Government always splashes the cash when it needs to. In many senses there's an echo of the last war. The bit about reserved occupations and promises to reinstate-filled by women and used as the equalities lynchpin. The fact that many companies who would otherwise go insolvent in normal times get a breathing space. And there's another factor, I'm ordering more stuff on the internet, and it's cheaper simply because I am not catered for on the High street.

There is no standard definition across government. The Department for Business uses the definition below, which comes from the EU. HMRC defines an SME as being less than 500 employees for R&D tax purposes.

Micro business - less than 10 employees, turnover less than £2M

Small business - 10-50 employees, turnover £2-10M

Medium business - 50-250 employees, turnover £10-50M

Large business- more than 250 employees, turnover greater than £50M
Thanks for that, there was something niggling away at me from way back that the TO equated to an equivalence in VAT registration although it wasn't precise because you don't have to be at the threshold to register. Merely something to be born in mind when asking questions.

Latest Threads