Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
But dsepending on their returns they will get help whereas I will not. At the same time I will be paying rent to someone getting help.

Interesting stuff and no wonder it took a while - there are more variations thsn you cqan shake a stick at.

Here is one - what is the difference between a small business (promised help in the budget) and self employed?
You'll get 80% of whatever your returns show as your take home. Unless you make no profit, which would beg the question why are you bothering anyway and if this is the straw... then probably for the best. You should also be able to speak to your landlord and requesting rent holiday etc... If you want this to work it will be able to if you get everything lined up.

But dsepending on their returns they will get help whereas I will not. At the same time I will be paying rent to someone getting help.

Interesting stuff and no wonder it took a while - there are more variations thsn you cqan shake a stick at.

Here is one - what is the difference between a small business (promised help in the budget) and self employed?
The main difference (and granted there are exceptions on both sides) is we in general pay our taxes, our employees pay their taxes and everything goes through the books. I'm sure their are limited companies who offer 10% off for cash guv but they are few and far between compared to pretty much sop for a lot of self employed.

Truxx

LE
The main difference (and granted there are exceptions on both sides) is we in general pay our taxes, our employees pay their taxes and everything goes through the books. I'm sure their are limited companies who offer 10% off for cash guv but they are few and far between compared to pretty much sop for a lot of self employed.
There is no Government definition.

Truxx

LE
You'll get 80% of whatever your returns show as your take home. Unless you make no profit, which would beg the question why are you bothering anyway and if this is the straw... then probably for the best. You should also be able to speak to your landlord and requesting rent holiday etc... If you want this to work it will be able to if you get everything lined up.
My intent is just to keep working. And sending out the bills in the hope that they get paid. The self employed package would not apply to me anyway as over 50% of my "income" (pre tax) comes from my pension.

My intent is just to keep working. And sending out the bills in the hope that they get paid. The self employed package would not apply to me anyway as over 50% of my "income" (pre tax) comes from my pension.
Ah right - more info.

Fair enough.

There is no Government definition.
The gov definition is Ltd/llp etc on one hand and registered self employed on the other. I've left dealing with the details of our scheme to my FD as been busy closing down ops where necessary and ensuring we complete contracts where possible.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We are now more or less two weeks into this crisis and about time to mark BoJo's card.

Personally, me, myself, I, I think he is doing a fine job. Where he has to make a decision he does so, having checked with the professionals. Having made and announced his decision he sticks with it. He is doing all possible to ensure the cast majority of the populace not only live, but have some wonga to live with.

Score out of 10 so far = 8 as nobody is perfect but he is doing just fine.

Whilst Boris could have acted quicker with putting in some of the measures such as social distancing etc, I think the economic package offered is excellent.

People should have a three/six month buffer of wages anyway, so I think it is great that the government have stepped up to put measures in place so they don't have to dip into that reserve of cash.

Last edited:
We are now more or less two weeks into this crisis and about time to mark BoJo's card.

Personally, me, myself, I, I think he is doing a fine job. Where he has to make a decision he does so, having checked with the professionals. Having made and announced his decision he sticks with it. He is doing all possible to ensure the cast majority of the populace not only live, but have some wonga to live with.

Score out of 10 so far = 8 as nobody is perfect but he is doing just fine.
Could have acted quicker perhaps but it's more due to people being morons - he wasn't forceful enough really. He was asking nicely when he should have used big sticks. Only problem is we don't have the type of Policing where we have either the numbers or the right to use big sticks without checking with mummy first - We don't have Law Enforcers per se. I hope that leads to a positive outcome once were on the other side so that the scum of our society can be dealt with quickly and harshly, rather than worry about hurting their feelings.

So I'm not blaming him for the above - He & the Chancellor are doing a brilliant job looking after 99% of people - I hope the beginnings of a plan for the next steps is already taking shape.

What I'm not happy about it the lack of action regarding testing. Get it sorted, and sorted now - high priority. Many, including myself, have already been through a self-isolation phase due to having a number of symptoms. Would be good to know how many of 'us' could actively help out knowing that we've got the anti-bodies and are safe to get our hands mucky - especially so for the front line staff. Seems to be a lot of confusion with them meant to be turning up shortly yet no-one has taken any orders for them. Get on it.

Also, shut the country down - stop the flights in and **** off the immigrants on boats, or any other illegal kind.

7 out of 10 for me.

Truxx

LE
The gov definition is Ltd/llp etc on one hand and registered self employed on the other. I've left dealing with the details of our scheme to my FD as been busy closing down ops where necessary and ensuring we complete contracts where possible.
You caǹ be a small business without being Ltd/Llp.

you can be be registered as self employed but get small business rate relief.

Most farmers in these parts, plus loads of others I know are in the same boat.

Truxx

LE
Sorry to hear that. I am talking about big business, not smaller companies living month to month.
I think that is part of why it has taken so long to come up with anything for the little people, but even now, and looking what they came up with I have no idea why they wasted their time. It may be historic or simply stupidity but it seems that in the eyes of the policy wonks you are either an employer or an employee. The idea that you can be both appears lost on them.

Oh and even big businesses live from month to month.

You caǹ be a small business without being Ltd/Llp.

you can be be registered as self employed but get small business rate relief.

Most farmers in these parts, plus loads of others I know are in the same boat.
That's a council matter. HMRC wise you are a business or you are a sole trader.

HMRC make no such distinction: De facto you are (Iam) both.
No, I'm a director and owner of my ltd company and pay myself via dividends. I also take a small paye wage. A sole trader is an individual.

Technically you can employ people as a sole trader but you would mad to given the personal exposure.

It was large, on your right (the coastal side) as you went from Wales towards England!
Yes, I know it and drive past it every day on the M4 (not currently, obvs). By the power of Google, I can now reveal it is owned by Budweiser - sorry!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bosscat

War Hero
You don’t need to tell me that there is an emergency. Any decisions made, will fall to me and my colleagues to enforce tomorrow and for the forceable. It will be made to work, but I think things will have to change. No cells, no courts etc.

We shouldn’t be relying on a Dads Army style overnight mobilisation of untrained and unvetted crew of helpers. Look at a comparable European countries police to public ratio and just accept that the country is woefully under policed, because of underinvestment for the last 10 years

Too little, too late. I only hope that this government starts to appreciate that it needs to invest in the public sector.
Should you be working with a bad back?

Bosscat

War Hero
Absolutely, this current government, were 90% the last government and The Conservative Party, any attempt by them to disown their responsibility for how things currently are would be disingenuous and deceitful.

I’m sure that we will cope and muddle through. I just hope that the decisions of the last 10 years, don’t haunt us later down the line.

In this time of uncertainty, I absolutely want BJ to succeed and do the right thing at the right time.
You do know why we've had to endure the last 10 years of hard decisions, don't you??? I'll give you a clue, Liam Byrne.

HMRC make no such distinction: De facto you are (Iam) both.
Not so, you register as a limited company or a sole trader, 2 different paths with HMRC (and company house).
I went limited even though my company is my brain. 2 directors, self and wife, she gets paid £50 a month and we split the dividend. I have to be careful because of my pensions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P COVID-19 355
ExREME..TECH The NAAFI Bar 29
G Classified Ads 33

Latest Threads