Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Truxx

LE
Well c'mon what would one expect. One thing is certain a raised by what is unsaid, HMRC can expect some major changes not least because it's function to raise and the protect the revenue.
I can guarantee that whatever changes there are they will not be to those bits that need changing.

Oh, and to add to my post earlier - Defence. Decide what you want to do/be and then fund it properly, or, decide the budget and then have the appropriate remit.

Can't have it both ways.

Boris is the antichrist. Those puppies will be eaten at a celebratory dinner served up to the boss of Huawei.
....meths with milk and two sugars , please...
And people call me a Boris hater.....

Going to possibly be shot down for this - but we could do with a bit of a dictatorship for a while.

Interestingly, BJ mentioned something recently that I'd thought about for a while now. One of the reasons why our infrastructure is in a mess is because we invented a fair bit of it, or at least employed it on an industrial scale first 150 odd years ago.

It's old - It's based on Victorian plans. It's easy for developing territories to implement because they start on a blank canvas, all the lessons have been learnt and technology can be chosen correctly. Also, many of these places have singular stable Governments that do as their told with 30 year strategies in place.

We need bold modernisation that will go beyond the remit of any usual 4/5yr term politics, or the next Twitter criticism as it seems today... Road, Rail & Bridges are easy - wait until the NHS gets tackled, as it sorely needs to be. I've been saying for years that it needs to be de-politicised, a Royal Commission put in place to develop a minimum 20 year plan with funding then allocated. Same for Education.

The only way we're going to get this is a very strong PM - whether or not BJ is that person? who knows, but I can tell you that if we don't take this opportunity with Labour in such disarray, we won't get it again for a very long time.

We need the natural party of leadership, the Tories, to just get on with it, with the natural party of conscience, Labour, to be a good strong opposition for checks and balances.
Wow, let’s hope The UK never becomes a dictatorship. The Tories have had 10 years in power, another 5 to come, surely that’s sufficient.

Wow, let’s hope The UK never becomes a dictatorship. The Tories have had 10 years in power, another 5 to come, surely that’s sufficient.
We haven't had strong leadership in this country since the 80's.

I guess you could take me literally, but that's up to you if you can't be arsed to read the rest of the post.

We haven't had strong leadership in this country since the 80's.

I guess you could take me literally, but that's up to you if you can't be arsed to read the rest of the post.
I did read the rest. All of which should be achievable through a democratic system. I hope that The Tories win the next election, that would mean 20 years in power - ample time to achieve.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I did read the rest. All of which should be achievable through a democratic system. I hope that The Tories win the next election, that would mean 20 years in power - ample time to achieve.
To be fair, the Tories may have been in No10 but they have not really been in power until BoJo got a huge majority. Initially they had the shitpit of the previous Labour government to sort out and get some money back in the bank, hampered at the time with the Limp Dems clinging on to them. Then we had the Cameron time taken over by the EU question and referendum, followed by May and her extremely weak government.

Things seem to be moving forward positively now though.

Last edited:
To be fair, the Tories may have been in No10 but they have not really been in power since BoJo got a huge majority. Initially they had the shitpit of the previous Labour government to sort out and get some money back in the bank, hampered at the time with the Limp Dems clinging on to them. Then we had the Cameron time taken over by the EU question and referendum, followed by May and her extremely weak government.

Things seem to be moving forward positively now though.
That’s democracy. I would rather that than dictatorship.
Plenty of countries have a hugely flourishing economy and very little true democracy. China springs to mind.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Strange thing 'democracy' . After Der Mauer came down many of the people suddenly subjected to democracy pined for the return of East Germany. Some still do.

Nowt as queer as folk.

Strange thing 'democracy' . After Der Mauer came down many of the people suddenly subjected to democracy pined for the return of East Germany. Some still do.

Nowt as queer as folk.
Yes I found that really peculiar "but we all had jobs then" WTF!!

Going to possibly be shot down for this - but we could do with a bit of a dictatorship for a while.

Interestingly, BJ mentioned something recently that I'd thought about for a while now. One of the reasons why our infrastructure is in a mess is because we invented a fair bit of it, or at least employed it on an industrial scale first 150 odd years ago.

It's old - It's based on Victorian plans. It's easy for developing territories to implement because they start on a blank canvas, all the lessons have been learnt and technology can be chosen correctly. Also, many of these places have singular stable Governments that do as their told with 30 year strategies in place.

We need bold modernisation that will go beyond the remit of any usual 4/5yr term politics, or the next Twitter criticism as it seems today... Road, Rail & Bridges are easy - wait until the NHS gets tackled, as it sorely needs to be. I've been saying for years that it needs to be de-politicised, a Royal Commission put in place to develop a minimum 20 year plan with funding then allocated. Same for Education.

The only way we're going to get this is a very strong PM - whether or not BJ is that person? who knows, but I can tell you that if we don't take this opportunity with Labour in such disarray, we won't get it again for a very long time.

We need the natural party of leadership, the Tories, to just get on with it, with the natural party of conscience, Labour, to be a good strong opposition for checks and balances.
Because of the Coronavirus China built a brand new hospital from scratch in about a week. If we tried that it would take two years of a feasibility study and environmental impact assessment. Then there would be the process of inviting bidders to provide a competitive tender. Then there will be the pain of trying to get planning permission and fighting off the NIMBYs. Four years later when the first turf is finally cut and a newt is discovered the project goes on hold for another six years. That's if there's no discovery of a skellibob of some Saxon warrior which would then turn the site into an archaeological dig for the next ten years.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Rather dependent on the quality of the opposition, I would say.

Looking at the present offerings, the Tories might have another ten years on top of your estimate, so long as they don't implode. Dealing early with a potential cause of intra-governmental dispute is to my mind the right thing to do to prevent that happening.

Hopefully it will stop the shouty-crackers "Senior treasury source" briefings on left wing-stylee tax hikes (mansion taxes etc) dead in their tracks as well...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Because of the Corona Virus China built a brand new hospital from scratch in about a week.
Hmm... hospital, or morgue? Whatever. Potayto, Potahto.

Latest Threads