Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
What exactly? Do you have the faintest idea?
Clearly more than you soup dragon.

What I posted about and you as usual are harumphing about. End of civilisation as we know it, thin end of the wedge, will never happen, preposterous idea, Dominic Grieve will never allow it.

Just happened gramps.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

What I posted about and you as usual are harumphing about. End of civilisation as we know it, thin end of the wedge, will never happen, preposterous idea, Dominic Grieve will never allow it.

Just happened gramps.
You are a fantasist.

You are a fantasist.
Well quite. Boris will never become PM. Brexit will never happen. Boris will certainly never win an election. Systemic Whitehall reform will never happen.

All fantasies.

But as I recall they were yours, not mine or the vast majority of arrse's.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Well quite. Boris will never become PM. Brexit will never happen. Boris will certainly never win an election. Systemic Whitehall reform will never happen.

All fantasies.

I made a small fortune out of Boris's election.

I made a small fortune out of Boris's election.
Did you really? How super for you. Maybe buy a house at some point then? Most of us managed it when we left, let alone after 20 years retirement. Sir.

Yarra

Old-Salt
Another way of looking at it is that SJ was setting aup a 'power-play' between number 10 and 11. (Not for the first time when one looks at the past 20 years.)

For my money, I am good with the PM asserting control over the Treasury - one cannot serve two masters (although I do acknowledge that balance is needed).
Agreed. Bojo wants (and needs) to be a transformational PM. Blair is on record that he didn't get the pain out of the way early and Brown was a f@@@ing great monkey on his back throughout his premiership. I doubt this is a lesson BoJo and Cummings will ignore... although the irony of Brown saving us from the Euro is rather delicious.

Bojo and his Svengali have to stamp their authority now. If SJ was not willing to fall into line, so be it. HMT remain a redoubt of yesterday's people - my limited interaction with the last HMT 'team' was an eye opener, to say the least.

Bojo has probably got IRO 5 to 8 years to either screw up spectacularly, or go down as the most effective PM this country has had, certainly since PMMT, or perhaps even the Big Man. To become that great PM, he has the Opportunity, but to exploit it he and DC know they have to deliver a paradigm shift to the way this Country does its business.

Bojo and DC broke the last paradigm, so they really do own this. But however uncomfortable we might be with what is to come, business as usual is just not going to deliver the goods. If they play this right, there are exciting days ahead for these dislocated Islands. Winston's Three Circles are very definitely back in play.

Just happened gramps.
That's Colonel Soup Dragon to you. Know your place. (And when you're at it you'll get served - today's special is cream of mushroom).

Truxx

LE

All fantasies.

Don't forget tipping pont, groundswell, parliament taking back control and Boris, shortest PM tenure everrrrrrrr.

A bit earlier, TV pundit said Javid was last one in Cabinet, who is against a hard, no-deal, BREXIT.

BBC Newsnight, former SPAD (Gito ?), to Boris when he was Mayor, said Boris sacked FOUR Deputy Mayors in quick succession, and then was able to start "delivering" on the policies Boris had promised.

Wigan Pier

Clanker
Agreed. Bojo wants (and needs) to be a transformational PM. Blair is on record that he didn't get the pain out of the way early and Brown was a f@@@ing great monkey on his back throughout his premiership. I doubt this is a lesson BoJo and Cummings will ignore... although the irony of Brown saving us from the Euro is rather delicious.

Bojo and his Svengali have to stamp their authority now. If SJ was not willing to fall into line, so be it. HMT remain a redoubt of yesterday's people - my limited interaction with the last HMT 'team' was an eye opener, to say the least.

Bojo has probably got IRO 5 to 8 years to either screw up spectacularly, or go down as the most effective PM this country has had, certainly since PMMT, or perhaps even the Big Man. To become that great PM, he has the Opportunity, but to exploit it he and DC know they have to deliver a paradigm shift to the way this Country does its business.

Bojo and DC broke the last paradigm, so they really do own this. But however uncomfortable we might be with what is to come, business as usual is just not going to deliver the goods. If they play this right, there are exciting days ahead for these dislocated Islands. Winston's Three Circles are very definitely back in play.
I keep coming back to the PM's 2013 Margaret Thatcher Memorial Lecture given when he was Mayor of London.

"The Victorians were so vain as to believe that because they had managed to extend their dominions so far, and because the map was pink from east to west, that this must somehow reflect the reality of divine providence: that God saw a special virtue in the British people, and appointed them to rule the waves.

And because they had grown up reading such tosh the post-war establishment drew the logical but equally absurd conclusion that the shrinking of Britain must also represent a moral verdict on them all, but in this case the opposite – that we were now decadent, and that decline had set in with all the ineluctability of death watch beetle in the church tower.

Thatcher changed all that. She put a stop to the talk of decline and she made it possible for people to speak without complete embarrassment of putting the “great” back into Britain. And she gave us a new idea – or revived an old one: that Britain was or could be an enterprising and free-booting sort of culture, with the salt breeze ruffling our hair; a buccaneering environment where there was no shame – quite the reverse – in getting rich."

In Parliament recently he talked about how Britain might be in 2050, and in this speech, from seven years ago, he spoke about how he expected to see Britain as the largest economy in Europe by 2060.

"By 2050 Britain will be the second biggest country in the EU, and by 2060 – when I fully intend to be alive – we will have more people than Germany. And yes, I can see you gulp, and no, I don’t know exactly where they will all go either; though when I drive through the cities of the north I see plenty of depopulated space."

I suspect that Boris has no more concern for the opinion polls than Churchill had and he wants to make us rich and influential again. I'll take that, even if he isn't the cultural leader the country needs.

Oyibo

LE
I disagree. Dynamic friction between political rhetoric and fiscal reality are a crucial part of the body politic.
Agreed, but only if there is a modus operandi that allows for an effective polity. The polity has been broken for quite a few years (IMO) - whether it will find a new way forward that is good for the governance of the country remains to be seen. But I'd rather see broken governance reformed than shrug my shoulders and go "hey ho".

Yarra

Old-Salt
I keep coming back to the PM's 2013 Margaret Thatcher Memorial Lecture given when he was Mayor of London.

"The Victorians were so vain as to believe that because they had managed to extend their dominions so far, and because the map was pink from east to west, that this must somehow reflect the reality of divine providence: that God saw a special virtue in the British people, and appointed them to rule the waves.

And because they had grown up reading such tosh the post-war establishment drew the logical but equally absurd conclusion that the shrinking of Britain must also represent a moral verdict on them all, but in this case the opposite – that we were now decadent, and that decline had set in with all the ineluctability of death watch beetle in the church tower.

Thatcher changed all that. She put a stop to the talk of decline and she made it possible for people to speak without complete embarrassment of putting the “great” back into Britain. And she gave us a new idea – or revived an old one: that Britain was or could be an enterprising and free-booting sort of culture, with the salt breeze ruffling our hair; a buccaneering environment where there was no shame – quite the reverse – in getting rich."

In Parliament recently he talked about how Britain might be in 2050, and in this speech, from seven years ago, he spoke about how he expected to see Britain as the largest economy in Europe by 2060.

"By 2050 Britain will be the second biggest country in the EU, and by 2060 – when I fully intend to be alive – we will have more people than Germany. And yes, I can see you gulp, and no, I don’t know exactly where they will all go either; though when I drive through the cities of the north I see plenty of depopulated space."

I suspect that Boris has no more concern for the opinion polls than Churchill had and he wants to make us rich and influential again. I'll take that, even if he isn't the cultural leader the country needs.

This country needs a massive kick up the arsenal. Bojo is, in all probability, the only one out there with the balls, vision and chuputz to deliver that kick.

ugly

LE
This country needs a massive kick up the arsenal. Bojo is, in all probability, the only one out there with the balls, vision and chuputz to deliver that kick.
Chutzpah perhaps?

“Broadly speaking, Javid is keen to keep a tight grip on spending while Cummings’s priority is to spend lots in order to “level up” the country in order hold on to seats the Tories won from Labour in the Midlands and the north at the general election“.

“Mr Javid, known in Mr Cummings’ circles as “Chino” — chancellor in name only — was also proving assertive in insisting that the government remained committed to its fiscal rule of balancing the current budget — day-to-day spending — by 2023”.

“Tensions between Mr Javid and Mr Cummings, who wants to increase spending to help “level up” the north of England, have been mounting in recent weeks but by Thursday they had reached boiling point”.

And?

Still doesn't support your previous post Mr Boris hater.

Another way of looking at it is that SJ was setting aup a 'power-play' between number 10 and 11. (Not for the first time when one looks at the past 20 years.)

For my money, I am good with the PM asserting control over the Treasury - one cannot serve two masters (although I do acknowledge that balance is needed).
I STR from somewhere that the PM is also First Lord of the Treasury but I'm getting more and more interested in this SPAD business. Wasn't it the case that First secs tended to be MP's from the same party and the PPS was the highest ranking of the CS or something like that. SPADs in day to day running tend to be a more modern thing.

I STR from somewhere that the PM is also First Lord of the Treasury but I'm getting more and more interested in this SPAD business. Wasn't it the case that First secs tended to be MP's from the same party and the PPS was the highest ranking of the CS or something like that. SPADs in day to day running tend to be a more modern thing.

The employment of special advisers adds a political dimension to the advice and assistance available to Ministers while reinforcing the political impartiality of the permanent Civil Service by distinguishing the source of political advice and support [...] Special advisers are employed to help Ministers on matters where the work of Government and the work of the Government Party overlap and where it would be inappropriate for permanent civil servants to become involved. They are an additional resource for the Minister providing assistance from a standpoint that is more politically committed and politically aware than would be available to a Minister from the permanent Civil Service

Blogg

LE
"The Thick of it" was not a comedy series but a docu-drama.

Anyhow, the only thing which surprises me is that anybody thinks the end result is a surprise and the likes of Preston shitting on about "chaotic reshuffle" make me want to. puke.

Boris has consolidated his power base and kneecapped those not wholly on message. It's called newly elected with a large majority and public favour (for the moment)

Note date on this:

Latest Threads