Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Dominic Cummings is a Russian asset- dig around the internet for the facts on that. Boris is an idiot. The Attempt to selectively brief only certain media last week was a f*cking disgrace. Straight out of the Bannon playbook. and it'll only get worse.
I look forward to your informative posts on how vaccines are turning our kids gay, all the Jews took the day off on 9/11 and Beatles tracks being a secret way of summoning the anti-Christ.

Dominic Cummings is a Russian asset- dig around the internet for the facts on that. Boris is an idiot. The Attempt to selectively brief only certain media last week was a f*cking disgrace. Straight out of the Bannon playbook. and it'll only get worse.
A noob who comes swinging into the XR thread saying that they're all jolly fine splendid folks and we should give them a chance as there is a CLIMATE EMERGENCY. Then you jump in here with even more fruitloopery. It was suggested before that you're a sock and reading your posts I'm inclined to agree, although not sure who. Just a soupcon of trolling as well.

Truxx

LE
Fact you say?

Why are you not using your usual account?

As I understand it, Javid was sticking to the Tory mantra of fiscal responsibility with a refusal to totally agree to more borrowing for day to day spending.
However No 10 are more keen to spend a lot of money to fund promises made during the election.
First I've heard of that, did you get it from the plod listening in at the door?

The first we'll hear if your latest made up anti-Boris comment is true is when the new Chancellor gets replaced after telling the PM the country can't continue spending and increase it's borrowing without something giving and he also goes.

First I've heard of that, did you get it from the plod listening in at the door?

The first we'll hear if your latest made up anti-Boris comment is true is when the new Chancellor gets replaced after telling the PM the country can't continue spending and increase it's borrowing without something giving and he also goes.
“Broadly speaking, Javid is keen to keep a tight grip on spending while Cummings’s priority is to spend lots in order to “level up” the country in order hold on to seats the Tories won from Labour in the Midlands and the north at the general election“.

“Mr Javid, known in Mr Cummings’ circles as “Chino” — chancellor in name only — was also proving assertive in insisting that the government remained committed to its fiscal rule of balancing the current budget — day-to-day spending — by 2023”.

“Tensions between Mr Javid and Mr Cummings, who wants to increase spending to help “level up” the north of England, have been mounting in recent weeks but by Thursday they had reached boiling point”.

Oyibo

LE
“Broadly speaking, Javid is keen to keep a tight grip on spending while Cummings’s priority is to spend lots in order to “level up” the country in order hold on to seats the Tories won from Labour in the Midlands and the north at the general election“.

“Mr Javid, known in Mr Cummings’ circles as “Chino” — chancellor in name only — was also proving assertive in insisting that the government remained committed to its fiscal rule of balancing the current budget — day-to-day spending — by 2023”.

“Tensions between Mr Javid and Mr Cummings, who wants to increase spending to help “level up” the north of England, have been mounting in recent weeks but by Thursday they had reached boiling point”.

Another way of looking at it is that SJ was setting aup a 'power-play' between number 10 and 11. (Not for the first time when one looks at the past 20 years.)

For my money, I am good with the PM asserting control over the Treasury - one cannot serve two masters (although I do acknowledge that balance is needed).

Another way of looking at it is that SJ was setting aup a 'power-play' between number 10 and 11. (Not for the first time when one looks at the past 20 years.)

For my money, I am good with the PM asserting control over the Treasury - one cannot serve two masters (although I do acknowledge that balance is needed).
As I understand it the plan going forward is a shared pool of spads working for both 10 and 11 which makes a lot of sense. While the PM ultimately calls the shots shared vision is vital to keep the political affordable and the fiscal politically doable.

One team of spads working for both should remove the 'them and us' handbags and leaks and get both where they need to be working towards affordable and politically acceptable outcomes.

Definitely tension between 10 and 11 over levels of spending. With 11 wanting more fiscal prudence than 10.

Nothing controversial about that.

Apologies about paywall on FT articles. They are viewable if you google them.

Oyibo

LE
As I understand it the plan going forward is a shared pool of spads working for both 10 and 11 which makes a lot of sense. While the PM ultimately calls the shots shared vision is vital to keep the political affordable and the fiscal politically doable.

One team of spads working for both should remove the 'them and us' handbags and leaks and get both where they need to be working towards affordable and politically acceptable outcomes.
Fully agreed - It has been, IMO, ludicrous that No 11, its SPADS, and its civil servants have actively worked against No 10. It is the party of opposition that should challenge the Government, not a member of Government supported by SPADs and civil servants.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fully agreed - It has been, IMO, ludicrous that No 11, its SPADS, and its civil servants have actively worked against No 10. It is the party of opposition that should challenge the Government, not a member of Government supported by SPADs and civil servants.
I disagree. Dynamic friction between political rhetoric and fiscal reality are a crucial part of the body politic.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Apologies about paywall on FT articles. They are viewable if you google them.
I think the FT have closed that option as I can no longer get FT articles this way.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
While I agree with you, it is only to an extent. I would not like to think that the 'advisers' no longer advise but have, or will become, 'Yes Men and Women'. Ideas need to be challenged to ensure they work, are legal and politically sound. If everyone just agrees then why have SPADs at all, just replace with cheap civil servants.

ETA
Beaten to the starting gun by BL! I agree with his more succinct post.

I disagree. Dynamic friction between political rhetoric and fiscal reality are a crucial part of the body politic.
For a leader of men you don't seemed to have learned a lot about human nature.

Task team 1 with making it popular and team two with making it affordable and you get unnecessary ego based conflict.

Task a combined team with making it both affordable and popular and you get to the happy medium a lot quicker.

Tribal Whitehall infighting is one of the biggest barriers to effective governance this country faces. To you it's a vital brake on executive power. To the rest of us it's another excuse not to carry out the mandate from the people.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
For a leader of men you don't seemed to have learned a lot about human nature.

Task team 1 with making it popular and team two with making it affordable and you get unnecessary ego based conflict.

Task a combined team with making it both affordable and popular and you get to the happy medium a lot quicker.

Tribal Whitehall infighting is one of the biggest barriers to effective governance this country faces. To you it's a vital brake on executive power. To the rest of us it's another excuse not to carry out the mandate from the people.
Good luck with that one.

Latest Threads