Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Tyk

LE
Optics???
I assume he means how it looks to the very woke press, pundits and politicians that feel that "Travellers" have some type of minority ethnic status rather than just being a bunch of antisocial lawbreakers who see the rest of the population as easy targets.

I assume he means how it looks to the very woke press, pundits and politicians that feel that "Travellers" have some type of minority ethnic status rather than just being a bunch of antisocial lawbreakers who see the rest of the population as prey.
Better description....no charge.

As Machiavelli wrote, it is always best for a new ruler to dispense all necessary "cruelties" first, then show his benevolence.
"The best way to quiet a country is a good thrashing, followed by great kindness afterwards."
Compared to General Sir Charles Napier, Machiavelli was a dago infant....

Start with this one

1. Get them shifted

2. Cut Daily allowance to £200

3. Tax them on that £200

4. Watch them disappear like rats up a drainpipe.
I would go much further and make the Lords expenses only. We cannot stop paying MP's it seems...but the Lords? if you haven't made enough at the trough by the time you have been found out, voted out or booted out, then tough shit. Also I would make members of the upper house ineligible for positions in government.
Elevate an unelectable buffoon to the lords and then hand it a key Ministry? Adonis springs to mind but I am sure there are more.

Ohhhh No No No

They are masters at creative fiddles.

Flat daily rate, taxed at source.
I would probably keep the rate at the current £350 per day, but it is taxed at the basic or higher rate as appropriate and the under-65s pay NI too. If peers insist that it is a job then it should be treated as a job for taxation purposes.

Ohhhh No No No

They are masters at creative fiddles.

Flat daily rate, taxed at source.
Yes I agree, but the amount of extra effort diverted into nest feathering would leave little time for interfering in politics surely.
On a more serious note, at the moment they can claim expenses for the privilege going to pick up their 300 sovs , what if they could only claim expenses for the privilege of serving the nation in the upper house? How many would bother?
I accept that the HoC will always have a good number of plausible ( or even implausible..Burgon) chancers with their eye on the main chance, but for the HoL to have any relevance it must be free of patronage at least. No remuneration, no party affiliations..etc.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Meanwhile.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/07/boris-johnson-orders-ministers-root-waste-whitehall-spare-no/

And

I think it's clear that BoJo intends to run a balanced budget while meeting his election spending promises. And that to do that, he's going to rob Peter to pay Paul. I suspect there's a lot of waste that could be rooted out of government - projects that run because no one has the energy to stop them or because they've been forgotten about. By rooting out waste we could end up with a leaner and more efficient state.

Add in Cummings signalled reform of the Civil Service and UK PLC is going to look very different come the next GE. I can see a couple of hundred thousand CS jobs going with significantly better pay for the best and the brightest who remain (and perform).

The first thing I think we'll see is the Bonfire of the Quango's Mk 2. A lot of them are no longer fit for purpose and have become jobs for the boys (and girls). A lot seem to espouse a left wing viewpoint, so a double bonus for BoJo when they get binned.

2020 is going to be the year of teddy launching by vested interests...

Wordsmith
My son in law, until quite recently, directed the delivery arm of a quango involved in a number of things, notably 5G. Even now, in broad terms, he would tend towards "the answer is PFI now what is the question?"

Like I say. There until recently.

Clearly that Guardian ****** doesn’t live anywhere near the areas blighted by these awful people. ‘Vulnerable and persecuted’? Try telling that to the thousands of honest, decent citizens who have had their lives ruined by these irresponsible, lawless gangs. Culture my arse.
I truly hope Boris’s Government has the gonads to send them back to Southern Ireland where the majority come from!
Guardian columnists know full well that their mortgage depends upon identifying and supporting - to the verge of insanity - trendy, in vogue, ‘vulnerabilities’. Whether there is any morality in it is another matter entirely.

Stumbled over this in a different vid and found the clip where Boris is distinctly unimpressed with the London Assemble calling them:
"Great Supine Protoplasmic Invertebrate Jellies"

Latest Threads