Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Just picked this up on Twitter. The man plainly has intelligence beyond the norm. It kind of buries the myth that he is sone sort of bumbling buffoon.

Of course he could be talking Klingon for all I know so I'll take the word that it is ancient Greek.

there’s some form here, see him debating Mary Beard on the nature of Roman vs Greek society... I suggest that not too many people could walk out of that without looking completley out of their depth

Now Boris is the boss for the foreseeable, can we expect him to deliver an ambitious vanity project? Could the airport in the Thames now happen? Will he build a bridge to NI?
I think his ego will see him needing to build something with his name on for future generations to remember him by.
I'll settle for the M4 Relief Road around Newport - Boris Johnson Way?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I do hope that's wiped the smirk from that aged hag who thought she was back at Woodstock with her " Boris the Spider " brooch.

Not cool luv.

there’s some form here, see him debating Mary Beard on the nature of Roman vs Greek society... I suggest that not too many people could walk out of that without looking completley out of their depth

Thanks for that. I watched Boris' case for the Greeks. Brilliant and entertaining. I may watch the rest at some point.

daz

LE
I'll settle for the M4 Relief Road bulldozed though Newport - Boris Johnson Way?

Edited to reflect the true sentiment being conveyed ;)

Edited to reflect the true sentiment being conveyed ;)
To be fair, I don't care which way it goes so long as it doesn't take me between 1.5 - 2 hrs in order to travel forty miles.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BoJo back from his holidays today. Cabinet reshuffle tomorrow on return if Parliament?

Could be an interesting few days with Boris demonstrating the direction of his government.

I could give you a funny or a great for that, but I have rarely recently had such a pleasure to watch anything like that. You want to know why Boris won- that's why.

Ok I've got some time now,I'll play along.In the article it mentions that;
But Boris Johnson argued during the election we should “take back control of our laws”, and his spokesman said this would begin with the Withdrawal Act, due to be voted on again this Friday.
He said: “The bill will ensure that the Supreme Court is not the only institution able to consider retaining European Court of Justice rulings.

The justice system will also remain as we know it.Some decisions will be dealt with by lower courts.I don't see how this is the Supreme Court "signing their own death warrant" if that is in fact what you are suggesting?

But Boris Johnson argued during the election we should “take back control of our laws”, and his spokesman said this would begin with the Withdrawal Act, due to be voted on again this Friday.
He said: “The bill will ensure that the Supreme Court is not the only institution able to consider retaining European Court of Justice rulings.

The justice system will also remain as we know it.Some decisions will be dealt with by lower courts.I don't see how this is the Supreme Court "signing their own death warrant" if that is in fact what you are suggesting?
Imho, it means that lower courts can make rulings and thereby either close the case or delaying it. That being so, can it be said "there is no need for you, everything you do can be done at the level below" ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Interpretation of words is a very defined political art and one which I do not claim to be an expert in, but that seems to be saying that Courts lower than the Supreme Court could be given the power to stop a case once they have made a decision i.e. not allowing the case to go forward to the Supreme Court; similar to the current way appeals are dealt with and not being allowed to be come vexatious.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/07/boris-johnson-orders-ministers-root-waste-whitehall-spare-no/
Boris Johnson has ordered his ministers to locate wasteful projects across Whitehall, even if it means “slaughtering sacred cows”. The Prime Minister told his Cabinet to review hundreds of legacy projects in their departments, and to go through their spending line by line.
And
Sajid Javid, the Chancellor, gave a presentation at Tuesday's Cabinet meeting in which he made clear that there is little headroom for further spending commitments within his fiscal rules. He highlighted the cost of the party’s manifesto pledges and made clear “tough decisions” would need to be found to be able to fund them, a Treasury source said.
I think it's clear that BoJo intends to run a balanced budget while meeting his election spending promises. And that to do that, he's going to rob Peter to pay Paul. I suspect there's a lot of waste that could be rooted out of government - projects that run because no one has the energy to stop them or because they've been forgotten about. By rooting out waste we could end up with a leaner and more efficient state.

Add in Cummings signalled reform of the Civil Service and UK PLC is going to look very different come the next GE. I can see a couple of hundred thousand CS jobs going with significantly better pay for the best and the brightest who remain (and perform).

The first thing I think we'll see is the Bonfire of the Quango's Mk 2. A lot of them are no longer fit for purpose and have become jobs for the boys (and girls). A lot seem to espouse a left wing viewpoint, so a double bonus for BoJo when they get binned.

2020 is going to be the year of teddy launching by vested interests...

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Meanwhile.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/07/boris-johnson-orders-ministers-root-waste-whitehall-spare-no/

And

I think it's clear that BoJo intends to run a balanced budget while meeting his election spending promises. And that to do that, he's going to rob Peter to pay Paul. I suspect there's a lot of waste that could be rooted out of government - projects that run because no one has the energy to stop them or because they've been forgotten about. By rooting out waste we could end up with a leaner and more efficient state.

Add in Cummings signalled reform of the Civil Service and UK PLC is going to look very different come the next GE. I can see a couple of hundred thousand CS jobs going with significantly better pay for the best and the brightest who remain (and perform).

The first thing I think we'll see is the Bonfire of the Quango's Mk 2. A lot of them are no longer fit for purpose and have become jobs for the boys (and girls). A lot seem to espouse a left wing viewpoint, so a double bonus for BoJo when they get binned.

2020 is going to be the year of teddy launching by vested interests...

Wordsmith
Oh God! That means the BBC will be full of right-on people who are so hard done to that their pet project is binned. The fact it produces nothing and achieved less will have very little at all.. I hope that one of the reforms is to the BBC to head off the whine-fest before it gets up any steam!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Advice to BoJo as to what to chop from the head of the Tax Payer's Alliance. Most of it is behind the paywall, so I'll paraphrase.

1. Bin H2S

With costs already up from £40 billion to £100 billion and guaranteed to rise further, axing this could pay for literally hundreds of local transport projects. Less chance of project over-runs, more business benefit and happier local voters.

2. Let people leave school at 16 if they wish

Instead of being forced to stay in full time education until 18. Some people are just not academically inclined - and many would like the option to avoid a pointless couple of extra years in education.

3. Bin the requirement for all civil servants to have degrees

If someone has a decent record of achievement in life without a degree, why not let them join the civil service and bring those skills to bear there.

4. Bin National Pay Bargaining

Give different areas of the country the right to set their own pay rates for public services. Maybe public services could get by with fewer but better paid staff.

5. Bonfire of the Quangos Mk 2.

Pointless quangos have proliferated again. Many could be binned without any measurable impact.

------------------

Expect more teddy launching from the London Luvies - they'll be hit hardest.

And the unions will hate the end of national pay bargaining...

Wordsmith

Latest Threads