Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Prime Mnister doesn't go onto a TV interview ... reporters all jumping up and down , I am pretty sure he has broken no laws , and it isn't mandatory that Andrew Neil interviews him

Who actually gives a shit if Brillo Head interviews him or not , He has already told us what he was going to ask him , so now it becomes totally irrelevant , it seems to be upsetting the Journalista, which is good in my book

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Prime Mnister doesn't go onto a TV interview ... reporters all jumping up and down , I am pretty sure he has broken no laws , and it isn't mandatory that Andrew Neil interviews him

Who actually gives a shit if Brillo Head interviews him or not , He has already told us what he was going to ask him , so now it becomes totally irrelevant , it seems to be upsetting the Journalista, which is good in my book
Be funny if Tory HQ sent a staffer along with a bit of paper with the answers to AN's questions, which he/she will just read out from the sheet at the appropriate point, and if there is a supplementary question to say they don't have that answer but someone will email it to him! :)

I've already made my feelings about the fat little jock known.

He (Neill) is now using a 'Red Top' to announce his challenge to Boris (a massive fail) and, announced he wants to challenge Boris on 'Trust' issues. No mention of Brexit or the Tory manifesto so, sounds like a character assassination at best. Neill also states that, PM's have been interviewed for decades,which I would dispute but, even if true, it was always the PM's choice,to do it or not !

Methinks, the little rotund Jock, is getting desperate, were I Boris, I would just keep the arsewipe dangling!

Neill also states that, PM's have been interviewed for decades....
It's true. But you really need to look at some of those old archived recordings, where a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of BBC interviewer, dressed in a flannel suit, prostrates himself in front of the interviewee and allows him to dictate whatsoever he pleases without the fear of the merest hint of contradiction. As incisive as a scalpel made of chewing gum.

Thank Christ those days are gone.

It's true. But you really need to look at some of those old archived recordings, where a Mr Cholmondley-Warner type of BBC interviewer, dressed in a flannel suit, prostrates himself in front of the interviewee and allows him to dictate whatsoever he pleases without the fear of the merest hint of contradiction. As incisive as a scalpel made of chewing gum.

Back then, most people could read real Newspapers and, 'trust' the BBC ! To a large extent politicians were considered trustworthy and honourable !

As I said, I don't think Neill is remotely interested in Brexit or Manifesto, I think it's now down to nastiness, he seems to think he's been slighted and, ego has now kicked in.

Boris could take then interview and, do a 'Ronnie Corbett'. Answer the question before last, it would be a 'classic' !

One can live in hope ?

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I've already made my feelings about the fat little jock known.

He (Neill) is now using a 'Red Top' to announce his challenge to Boris (a massive fail) and, announced he wants to challenge Boris on 'Trust' issues. No mention of Brexit or the Tory manifesto so, sounds like a character assassination at best. Neill also states that, PM's have been interviewed for decades,which I would dispute but, even if true, it was always the PM's choice,to do it or not !

Methinks, the little rotund Jock, is getting desperate, were I Boris, I would just keep the arsewipe dangling!
I disagree. Neil is the best political interviewer in the UK; he is frustrated that the PM is not engaging with him and is doing his best to pressure him into turning up. It's not about being nasty, he's doing his job.

Were I Boris, considering AN's stated line of questioning, I wouldn't go near him. There is no upside for the PM from answering those questions from AN (being taken to task by the best interviewer in the UK who's going to ignore Tory policies and concentrate on personal trustworthiness), and as long as he's ahead in the polls why risk it?

Back then, most people could read real Newspapers and, 'trust' the BBC ! To a large extent politicians were considered trustworthy and honourable !
Yes, mostly, though a certain amount of background info has come out since those days. Media friendly seems to trump competence these days but the goalposts have been shifting for a few decades...
As I said, I don't think Neill is remotely interested in Brexit or Manifesto, I think it's now down to nastiness, he seems to think he's been slighted and, ego has now kicked in.
I agree that he came across as feeling slighted.
Boris could take then interview and, do a 'Ronnie Corbett'. Answer the question before last, it would be a 'classic' !

One can live in hope ?
Were I Boris, considering AN's stated line of questioning, I wouldn't go near him. There is no upside for the PM from answering those questions from AN (being taken to task by the best interviewer in the UK who's going to ignore Tory policies and concentrate on personal trustworthiness), and as long as he's ahead in the polls why risk it?
[/QUOTE]After what the Boris haters gleefully refer to as a three minute evisceration? If he goes for it the haters want him fed to the lions. If he doesn't they portray him as a coward. He has reportedly turned down the opportunity but who knows.

I disagree. Neil is the best political interviewer in the UK; he is frustrated that the PM is not engaging with him and is doing his best to pressure him into turning up. It's not about being nasty, he's doing his job.
I agree although the three minute speech came across as damning.

1575644707211.png

Meanwhile very real bias shown by Channel 4 who seem intent on stirring up trouble by making stuff up.
1575643326618.png

He doesn't 'interview', he questions, hence the fistful of paper ! Even Norman Smith could carry out an inquisition with a handful of questions and answers.

The likes of Robin Day, could interview with just a smile. Neill being "the best political interviewer in the UK" isn't saying a lot and, using a 'paper' to reitereate a 'challenge' is not only peurile but self-defeating for Neill !

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
He doesn't 'interview', he questions, hence the fistful of paper ! Even Norman Smith could carry out an inquisition with a handful of questions and answers.

The likes of Robin Day, could interview with just a smile. Neill being "the best political interviewer in the UK" isn't saying a lot and, using a 'paper' to reitereate a 'challenge' is not only peurile but self-defeating for Neill !
Name a better political interviewer. One that's alive and still working.

As for "he doesn't interview, he questions" , sorry but I honestly don't understand what point you're trying to make.

As for "he doesn't interview, he questions" , sorry but I honestly don't understand what point you're trying to make.
When one 'interviews',one is genuinely interested in the interviewee's opinion, the interviewer teases out the information. Neill is an 'inquisitor', if you had done a course at the old JSIW in Ashford, by the end you would have been quite sure of the difference.

Neill is about as subtle as a kick in the b******s, that doesn't make him a good 'political interviewer', it just makes him think he is !

These interviews aren't about the guests, they are about how 'clever' Neill is (knowing the questions and answers in advance), or appears to be !

I'm sorry if you think Mr Neill is the dogs dodaahs, that's your problem, there are many who don't and can see through his self agrandising performances !

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
When one 'interviews',one is genuinely interested in the interviewee's opinion, the interviewer teases out the information. Neill is an 'inquisitor', if you had done a course at the old JSIW in Ashford, by the end you would have been quite sure of the difference.

Neill is about as subtle as a kick in the b******s, that doesn't make him a good 'political interviewer', it just makes him think he is !

These interviews aren't about the guests, they are about how 'clever' Neill is (knowing the questions and answers in advance), or appears to be !

I'm sorry if you think Mr Neill is the dogs dodaahs, that's your problem, there are many who don't and can see through his self agrandising performances !
So you can't name anyone better then.

Tyk

LE

Undoubtedly Andrew Neil is the best interviewer around at the moment, he doesn't seem to spend his time interrupting people, but presents cutting questions and evidence, however since he was supposedly pitching to talk about trustworthiness and not the politics of the election and it was clearly aimed at character not issues I don't blame Boris for giving it a hard pass. Boris loses nothing to speak of and could have taken far more damage than potential good from it.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Undoubtedly Andrew Neil is the best interviewer around at the moment, he doesn't seem to spend his time interrupting people, but presents cutting questions and evidence, however since he was supposedly pitching to talk about trustworthiness and not the politics of the election and it was clearly aimed at character not issues I don't blame Boris for giving it a hard pass. Boris loses nothing to speak of and could have taken far more damage than potential good from it.
Fully agree.

So you can't name anyone better then.
Oh Dear. 'Better' is a relative term and, highly subjective. Better at what ? Certainly not 'interviewing', there are a number of people across MSM, that interview well and, don't have a reputation to live up to.

If you watched 'BBC Newswatch' this morning, you would have heard, the delightful Samira Ahmed, use the phrase "Political Interrogator" when referring to Neill and, his lack of success with a Boris interview ?

The BBC's description, not mine but I agree nonetheless.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Indeed, soft interviewers like
Sir Robin Day
Bernard Levin
Jeremy Paxman
Yes the BBC's been full of subservient placemen.

I will give you one of the 'softest' interviewers going......David Frost !

In 1977, he got Richard Nixon, to apologise for Watergate and, incriminate himself in the process.

Frost was an 'Interviewer', never shouted, went red or,talked over, and yet managed to get Nixon to admit to a criminal act, that is.......class !

Neill, lives for confrontation, subtlety is always the winner.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting potted bio of Boris in the New York Magazine, written by Andrew Sullivan who really doesn't seem to like him.
Despite this, he comes out of it as the best hope this nation has of "Getting Brexit Done" (for a given value of Done), neutralizing the far right, preventing the extremist left from gaining power, and revitalizing the Tory Party.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interesting potted bio of Boris in the New York Magazine, written by Andrew Sullivan who really doesn't seem to like him.
Despite this, he comes out of it as the best hope this nation has of "Getting Brexit Done" (for a given value of Done), neutralizing the far right, preventing the extremist left from gaining power, and revitalizing the Tory Party.
For someone who is being touted by all and sundry as untrustworthy, unfit to be PM, worst PM ever, threat to the working man, that is a pretty impressive set of achievements that he seems capable of completing!

If Boris gets returned as PM, as he should be, we are no doubt going to get five years of sniping at the Tories by the media, especially the BBC!

Latest Threads