Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I expect that in the light of the latest incident at London Bridge, the major parties will now be vying to out do one another with promises of extra £billions being found for the fight against terror.

Laughable.

It’s a thin line and I’m still nervous, given there is almost two weeks for the wheels to come off. The media is going to ramp up the anti-Tory message again and again and they need to ensure there are no major own goals.
As an example, the Tory insistence they are training 50,000 new Nurses is clearly smoke and mirrors and they have been tying themselves in knots and looking foolish trying to justify their statement.
Stop effing about- the Public is very fickle and can turn in a heartbeat.
I think @Wordsmith makes a valid point. From a tor6 point of view, they don’t & shouldn’t be overly campaigning. Let Steptoe & his politburo crack on & hang themselves. They’ve been doing a fine job so far. But I do take your point. Boris needs to be kept n a tight leash for he may offend the snowflakes.

Which is why I don't think Boris is frit, but that his team will be calculating carefully the moment (or not) for him to engage with Neill.

They will want to do this at the precise point where the "good interview gives a polls boost/but bad interview doesn't make much difference" lines intersect....
I also think that like print journalists TV news is being marginalised to a degree by SM. Your message can be put out there on various platforms without having to go through trial by ordeal in a hostile tv studio. As a politician what’s not to like?

Again this is partly down to journalistic arrogance & hubris in that they believe they are the story.

Well if the voting public haven't worked it out already, they never will.
At the moment the opposition are clutching at any straw that will cause Boris to make a catastrophic slip-up.

But, I suspect that if he does do the interview, he will have the most obvious second order questions covered. Also, when under pressure his reputation for a cheery lack of lucidity can work for him, as it is more difficult for the interviewer to work out when he is genuinely floundering.

And suddenly, he will snap out of it quite sharply, with a fierce, well thought out riposte, that puts the interviewer on the back foot again.

He used this technique quite effectively in Question Time; using it to weather Bruce’s initial barrage, before finishing nicely with a strong eloquent repeat of his key messages, which is the bit he wants viewers to remember...

Falling Plate

War Hero
Does any one have details of what was said on the C4 program ?

It all seems to have been overshadowed by the blocks of ice cobblers.

Therefore the whole debate was a waste of time.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nobody is interested in Neil’s knowledge of Latin or The Classics. They are however very interested in Johnson’s policies, promises and fitness to be the leader of this country.

When Neil puts himself up to be some master of Latin and Classics, your suggestion might approach relevance.
I think most people like yourself have already made their minds up about what they think of Boris. He could go out an rescue a young girls and her puppy from drowning in the Thames now and it wouldn't change your mind! Boris is handling this quite well IMHO.

Lets all remember how valid TV interviews of prospective PM's are ?

Tony Blair won 2 GE's because he came across as Trustworthy and, Labour orientated. He spoke well and was plausible,Gordon Brown was 'shooed' in by the Party Faithful, because they wanted to stay in power.

Nick (the Dick) Clegg came across well in the TV 'debates', and ended up as Dep PM, in a Coalition Government, which proved "he could talk the talk" but, most definitely couldn't "walk the walk" !

Cameron always came across as a trustworthy PM but, as soon as he lost the referendum he hopped it, leaving the Party and the Country, in the shite !

We then had May, who could speak well on TV, so much so that, she convinced the Party, she was the dogs doodahs, to get us out of the EU !

We now have, a 'bumbling academic', who spent years as a journalist in Brussels, knows all the moves that the EU can get up to, who is passionate about getting us out of said EU but, doesn't come across well for a number of pundits and, isn't considered a legitimate PM, because he hasn't been through a GE and, the only way he can get us out of the EU is by, 'going to the country'!

I have had enough of smarmy coached candidates, appearing on the magic box and, trotting out what the great unwashed want to hear.

Johnson's passion and belief in fair play is enough, good managers should be able to play at least one round of golf per week because, they inevitably employ experts in different fields to guide them, the same with PM's !

I've served under idiots that "Could organise a piss up in a Brewery", their only skill was organisation and, they were brilliant at it !

Falling Plate

War Hero
I bet BJ now wishes he had done the AN Interview this lunch time.

Any gaffs would be buried by the terrible London attack.

My thoughts are with the innocent victims and well played the brave nutters who had a go and possibly saved more from being stabbed.

ugly

LE
I bet BJ now wishes he had done the AN Interview this lunch time.

Any gaffs would be buried by the terrible London attack.

My thoughts are with the innocent victims and well played the brave nutters who had a go and possibly saved more from being stabbed.
What victims? Only mildly inconvenienced commuters

If he keeps Corbyn Swinton, Sturgeon etc. at bay then he will go down as a man who did one job well. How he gets on with everything else will likely turn out rather less impressively, in my opinion that is,.

Nobody is interested in Neil’s knowledge of Latin or The Classics. They are however very interested in Johnson’s policies, promises and fitness to be the leader of this country.

When Neil puts himself up to be some master of Latin and Classics, your suggestion might approach relevance.
.....as opposed to a pedantic Politics Master. Each to their own I say.

I expect that in the light of the latest incident at London Bridge, the major parties will now be vying to out do one another with promises of extra £billions being found for the fight against terror.

Laughable.
Result, campaigning for the weekend in London has ceased. Bloody typical, LRJr has gone up to the 02 wiv mates to attend a concert. Started well with rail disruption in Norwich with no diesel for the local services.

Well if the voting public haven't worked it out already, they never will.
I think that's the nub of it.

Most folks aren't "working it out". They're taking sides, based on a raft of things that are absolutely not-consciously-thought-through.

Most politicians seek to exploit this. May was dire at it. Boris has a bit of a knack, and can be superficially an appealing persona.

Look closer, you might find he's uncomfortable with details, dangerously intolerant of those who don't immediately applaud his every "latest wizard wheeze", and too imbued with old Etonian self confidence born of an ingrained sense of superiority, to be aware of the risks facing this nation under his leadership.

Or p'r'aps that's just me fretting about fvckall.

Let's just hope it's me that's wildly wrong, eh?

I will now step back, awaiting the usual flak for daring to voice here an opinion that is at odds with the unstated golden rules of this thread :-D :thumleft:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Most folks aren't "working it out". They're taking sides, based on a raft of things that are absolutely not-consciously-thought-through.

Most politicians seek to exploit this. May was dire at it. Boris has a bit of a knack, and can be superficially an appealing persona.

Look closer, you might find he's uncomfortable with details, dangerously intolerant of those who don't immediately applaud his every "latest wizard wheeze", and too imbued with old Etonian self confidence born of an ingrained sense of superiority, to be aware of the risks facing this nation under his leadership.

I will now step back, awaiting the usual flak for daring to voice here an opinion that is at odds with the unstated golden rules of this thread :-D :thumleft:
I completely agree with your post:- it's just you! :)

No Flak.

Most folks have already 'worked it out'! This is the same retort that 'remainers' have been arrogantly quoting for the last 3 years. People will base their votes on what they perceive to be 'right'. Be it Brexit, the NHS,Social Services or,Welfare.

People do this every time there's a GE, the only reason this was is different is the amount of hyperbole that has been generated by the indolence and, intransigence of self serving politicians and, a baying MSM.

Lots of voters find Boris 'refreshing' and, yes he comes across as bumbling sometimes but, what has to be taken on board is,unlike May he isn't into absolutism and, is open to suggestions, he has never said that he knows it all and is clever enough, to listen to those who are experts in their field.

He has been in the job for a couple of months and so far, has made a better fist of leaving the EU, than both his 'esteemed' predecessors!

open to suggestions, he has never said that he knows it all and is clever enough, to listen to those who are experts in their field.
That is entirely at odds with what I have heard from those who worked for him when he was proposing (as but a single f'rinstance) the building of an airport in the river Thames.

That is entirely at odds with what I have heard from those who worked for him when he was proposing (as but a single f'rinstance) the building of an airport in the river Thames.
You don’t, perhaps, think he may have read the file on the ‘Maplin Development Act 1973’ ?

Latest Threads