Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I believe all this dicking around by parliament has done far, far more damage than leaving without a deal. Of course that will never be acknowledged by those who seek to thwart Brexit against the will of the people.
What do they think we look like to the rest of the world? Ridiculous might be an appropriate word. Look at previous Saturday sittings of Parliament.
1939, start of WWII
1956, Suez
1982, Falklands
2019, the Letwin Amendment.

We are meant to be a beacon of democracy. Instead we have a Parliament reduced to a comic opera institution that wouldn't look out of place in a banana republic. All that is missing is blokes in funny uniforms, black tricorn hats and moustaches shooting into the ceiling.

I'm British, and normally proud of everything that that means and stands for, but I have Hungarian and Polish friends who grew up under communist dictatorships and who are genuinely frightened at the way that the democratic will of the people is being usurped by the so called elites.

Unless of course Bercow changes the rules to suit his own purposes!
Bercow might be gone in 10 days, but he can potentially inflict major damage on Boris before he finally does us a favour and disappears into the sunset (hopefully without the Ermine he and his awful missus crave).

While the "wait and see" tactic will deal with how the EU reacts to the unsigned letter, we are now rapidly approaching the end of October. Even now, Boris could walk into the HoC and basically wave his parts in Jeremy's face , saying he would only stop if JC called a vote of no confidence. If that vote on no confidence is lost, and they can't find a leader they all like, there would be a general election called.

The crux of it is that the government is given fourteen days to come up with a new leader, which would take them past the 31st and Brexit!

I suspect a lot of remainers will be trying last minute legal shenanigans this week but the clock is slowly ticking down....
The clock is ticking down at the same rate it's always done only now there are fewer tocks to tick. I think the ramainers are all out of shenanigans.

The worrying thing is that the Remain clique in Parliament will be adding amendments to the withdrawal agreement which could scupper leaving completely.

I don't think it is worth the risk. PMBJ should simply not present any more bills to Parliament until the 1st November. I don't think there is any time allocated for a Private Members bill before then and in any case they would be talked out.

It would mean we leave without a deal but it is far batter to leave without a deal than to have this travesty of a Parliament prevent leaving completely, which is its aim.
I don't think the EU will countenance any further amendments to the WA and if they have refused an extension without the WA being approved then we leave with no deal. Further attempts at prevarication or procrastination will not stop us leaving.

I don't think the EU will countenance any further amendments to the WA and if they have refused an extension without the WA being approved then we leave with no deal. Further attempts at prevarication or procrastination will not stop us leaving.
I think the EU are wise enough to realise they've just about screwed as much as they can from the UK and will achieve nothing more by a delay of any length. It's pretty obvious they will never be able to get the Remainers to ensure we Remain fully in the EU or even a customs union, which negates our leaving, so it's much better for them and us if we get on with leaving and immediatly start with trade negotiations, which should have been happening all along but the EU refused.

None of that will of course persuade the Remainers to stop their 'effin about.

Slime

LE
What do they think we look like to the rest of the world? Ridiculous might be an appropriate word. Look at previous Saturday sittings of Parliament.
1939, start of WWII
1956, Suez
1982, Falklands

We are meant to be a beacon of democracy. Instead we have a Parliament reduced to a comic opera institution that wouldn't look out of place in a banana republic. All that is missing is blokes in funny uniforms, black tricorn hats and moustaches shooting into the ceiling.

I'm British, and normally proud of everything that that means and stands for, but I have Hungarian and Polish friends who grew up under communist dictatorships and who are genuinely frightened at the way that the democratic will of the people is being usurped by the so called elites.

But you have to remember the remainers have a very strong argument to remain.
They say that ‘we’* know far more now three years after voting to leave, but not actually having done it to find out what would happen if ‘we’ left.

That of course only works to any extent if no one mentions that some who voted to leave did so with the first hand experience of over four decades of actually being in the EU. Or that statistically, the poles say that those with the most experience in matter voted in larger numbers to leave than to remain.

Does over four decades of actual real experience trump three years of guesswork.................it seems not to count for some fanatical remainers ;)

*when they say ‘we’ they of course mean the population.........who of course voted to leave.

But you have to remember the remainers have a very strong argument to remain.
They say that ‘we’* know far more now three years after voting to leave, but not actually having done it to find out what would happen if ‘we’ left.

That of course only works to any extent if no one mentions that some who voted to leave did so with the first hand experience of over four decades of actually being in the EU. Or that statistically, the poles say that those with the most experience in matter voted in larger numbers to leave than to remain.

Does over four decades of actual real experience trump three years of guesswork.................it seems not to count for some fanatical remainers ;)

*when they say ‘we’ they of course mean the population.........who of course voted to leave.
Ironically, as his memoirs make clear, David Cameron was among them. But, as we have discussed many pages back, I think he saw the Referendum as a tool to try and convince Brussels of the risks they were running with UK (in an effort to either increase our political influence, or preserve our continued opt outs) rather than something he thought he would actually lose.

As it stands, I think the Brussels will be quite pleased with the Deal, it minimises our political influence, but keeps us paying in during the critical period whilst the EU rides out the likely storm to come. Their biggest compromise is that at some stage beyond that UK may break out and become a serious economic rival. The WA prevented this, which is why it presents a major compromise on Brussels' part.

This I believe will determine the EU's next steps; can it better the deal already offered by continuing to support the Remain faction? Arguably not, since although revoking article 50 (eventually) may prolong the flow of cash into the Commissions coffers, the core aim of UK Remain is increased political influence in Brussels, which the EU does do not want and has emphatically resisted for 40 years.

We won't have long to "wait and see" hopefully....

I think the EU are wise enough to realise they've just about screwed as much as they can from the UK and will achieve nothing more by a delay of any length. It's pretty obvious they will never be able to get the Remainers to ensure we Remain fully in the EU or even a customs union, which negates our leaving, so it's much better for them and us if we get on with leaving and immediatly start with trade negotiations, which should have been happening all along but the EU refused.

None of that will of course persuade the Remainers to stop their 'effin about.
I wish I could believe that. All the time we don't have a voice at the grown ups table but keep sending the billions over to them, then they will huff and puff for a bit of show, but quietly they will be quite satisfied to keep us hanging on their coat tails because we might just eventually change our minds. In fact, I think they are probably counting on it.

I wish I could believe that. All the time we don't have a voice at the grown ups table but keep sending the billions over to them, then they will huff and puff for a bit of show, but quietly they will be quite satisfied to keep us hanging on their coat tails because we might just eventually change our minds. In fact, I think they are probably counting on it.
I'm afraid that's exactly how it's meant to work; both sides get a "cool-off" period to see whether they'd rather be together or apart.

As to political influence, we have little now, certainly nothing commensurate with our economic position. At it's very core, what this has always been about for Brussels, is maximising Britain's economic input whilst keeping us off the political top table.

BREXIT called their bluff, so their plan has been to recover as many of their economic chestnuts as they can, whilst they can...

Last edited:
Bercow might be gone in 10 days, but he can potentially inflict major damage on Boris before he finally does us a favour and disappears into the sunset (hopefully without the Ermine he and his awful missus crave).
Oh yes, Bercow will stick his oar in just to help his soon to be written book about his time as a cnut speaker.
Pre Order it now or wait for it in the bargain bucket in the works.

Oh yes, Bercow will stick his oar in just to help his soon to be written book about his time as a cnut speaker.
Pre Order it now or wait for it in the bargain bucket in the works.
I think I'll wait. I'm not prepared to pay more than a couple of quid for a doorstop.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
1939, start of WWII
1956, Suez
1982, Falklands

what's going on at the moment is a walk in the park compared to the shit-storm that will occur if they remainers overturn the referendum result. Thats I suspect will get people on the streets as our democracy will have ceased to exist and we will have a parliament that is an elected dictatorship and clearly unaccountable. Westminster are playing with fire and they are so preoccupied with themselves and overturning the referendum result, none of them have an eye on what will happen after the referendum is overturned.

I for one will be off to Halfords to purchase my yellow jacket

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
what's going on at the moment is a walk in the park compared to the shit-storm that will occur if they remainers overturn the referendum result. Thats I suspect will get people on the streets as our democracy will have ceased to exist and we will have a parliament that is an elected dictatorship and clearly unaccountable. Westminster are playing with fire and they are so preoccupied with themselves and overturning the referendum result, none of them have an eye on what will happen after the referendum is overturned.

Much cheaper here:

Doesn't matter what eventually happens, the British won't take to the streets as we aren't French afterall! Instead they'll just chunter into their pie & chips, blow bubbles in their pints or just mutter under their breath.

Until the next GE.

The worrying thing is that the Remain clique in Parliament will be adding amendments to the withdrawal agreement which could scupper leaving completely.

I don't think it is worth the risk. PMBJ should simply not present any more bills to Parliament until the 1st November. I don't think there is any time allocated for a Private Members bill before then and in any case they would be talked out.

It would mean we leave without a deal but it is far batter to leave without a deal than to have this travesty of a Parliament prevent leaving completely, which is its aim.
FWIW I've long thought we would get a 11th hour deal with lots of black slapping all around. Turns out we did get just that last week with PMBJ & the 27.

However we now have remainiac MP's running a mock in thd HoC to the point where I can see us leaving with no deal mainly through their own hubris & general stupidity.

PMBJ is is serious jeopardy in a GE if he doesn't leave on the 31st & he can now rightly say he tried but was stymied by a parliament that was more into political point scoring than actually dealing with Brexit. He can now run the clock down. Make it quite clear to the EU all negotiations are over post 31st as are anymore funds etc should they grant an extension. I'm sure hes made the point the 39bn is still in play should they hoof us.

So far, with a crap hand & a lot of help from a pretty stupid opposition he has played a blinder & despite appearances is sitting pretty IMHO

I've just ripped the badges off mine. I'm tight like that :) :)

Latest Threads