Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Now Baron Blair of Boughton QPM.
I remember him getting the CCs job in Surrey years ago and I asked a serving mate of mine from Surrey HQ what she thought.
"Another waste of time from the Met doing compulsory tenure in another force before going back" she said.
She might have also said he was a useless sack of shite as well.
Wasn’t sure whether to give a like or a funny. I think round about that time Surrey were known as “Sorry”, as they couldn’t find the time or officers to do anything. It was a shambles.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My bold: This really only applies to those (MPs and others) who are desperate to avoid a no-deal. HMG seems confident enough to leave without one (a colleague of mine has just got the heads up to deploy on secondment for Op Yellowhammer tomorrow).

Referring to your earlier response; oddly I think that the EU might be more willing to offer an extension if there were no amendments. Anything that looks to be long and drawn out (a second referendum for example) just smacks of being left hanging again by the British. The EU are pretty vocal about having other pressing concerns, and having only just gone back on themselves to re-open the Withdrawal Agreement for Boris, I'm not sure how much love and generosity is left.
That's all part of the pressure game being played on MPs from both HMG and EU. I'm expecting further amendments in the next few days.

That's all part of the pressure game being played on MPs from both HMG and EU. I'm expecting further amendments in the next few days.
Still right in there with your finger on the pulse eh Trig... wish I knew your source. Do you also expect night to follow day to follow night or do you think there is a possibility it may all change to day to follow night to follow day?

The question was, does it stop the extension being requested on a technicality or will the EU happily accept it knowing that he obviously sent it out with his blessing as his signature block is at the bottom?
Unfortunately we have two threads discussing exactly the same points.

I don't believe the lack of Boris's signature will invalidate the letter. The EU will discuss it and come to a decision one way or the other. To coin Bothersome Lad's well-worn phrase, it's time to wait and see.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Still right in there with your finger on the pulse eh Trig... wish I knew your source. Do you also expect night to follow day to follow night or do you think there is a possibility it may all change to day to follow night to follow day?
Grown-up newspapers.

BlackDyke

War Hero
Wasn’t sure whether to give a like or a funny. I think round about that time Surrey were known as “Sorry”, as they couldn’t find the time or officers to do anything. It was a shambles.
Especially that useless fat pig of a ex-WRAC RP that was a WPC in Old Woking the useless fat pig.
Some of the girls from Stoughton Brks told me some horror stories about WPC Fat Pig.
My car got slightly vandalised by an ex bird and WPC Fat Pig advised me to reciprocate in kind.
After the complaint about her to the DCC she wasn't seen again, glad that they recorded police phone calls even in those days.

NSP

LE
Think you’ll find ex plod and serving plod are more anti May.
When he was Mayor he got rid of The Met Commissioner who at the time was a right useless apologetic waste of uniform. Apologising for everything he was, ive gone and forgotten his name now, I can picture him but the name has been assigned to the dustbin of memory bank.
Blair that was him. Sir Ian Blair resigns as Met police commissioner
And now they've got a right Dick...

NSP

LE
The motion, as amended by Letwin, was passed yesterday without division. I reckon you can expect many more amendments in the coming days.
That is apparently the purpose of the LA - to facilitate a "fillibuster by amendment" from remainiacs.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
While the "wait and see" tactic will deal with how the EU reacts to the unsigned letter, we are now rapidly approaching the end of October. Even now, Boris could walk into the HoC and basically wave his parts in Jeremy's face , saying he would only stop if JC called a vote of no confidence. If that vote on no confidence is lost, and they can't find a leader they all like, there would be a general election called.

The crux of it is that the government is given fourteen days to come up with a new leader, which would take them past the 31st and Brexit!

I suspect a lot of remainers will be trying last minute legal shenanigans this week but the clock is slowly ticking down....

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
It doesn't matter how many there are. The offer on the table is not amendable solely by the HoC. The 27MS get a say too. So far they have unilaterally accepted what the Commission have put in front of them.
They haven't actually. They're waiting to see what the HoC agrees on and then they get to decide whether to ratify it or not. This situation at the moment is merely a starting position.

Even if the 27 do ratify whatever the HoC agrees upon, that is also merely a starting point for much more difficult negotiations to follow (assuming UK political machinations don't upset the entire apple cart).

They haven't actually. They're waiting to see what the HoC agrees on and then they get to decide whether to ratify it or not. This situation at the moment is merely a starting position.

Even if the 27 do ratify whatever the HoC agrees upon, that is also merely a starting point for much more difficult negotiations to follow (assuming UK political machinations don't upset the entire apple cart).
The moment that your opening gambit contained an 'actually', I knew that you were talking bollocks.

The worrying thing is that the Remain clique in Parliament will be adding amendments to the withdrawal agreement which could scupper leaving completely.

I don't think it is worth the risk. PMBJ should simply not present any more bills to Parliament until the 1st November. I don't think there is any time allocated for a Private Members bill before then and in any case they would be talked out.

It would mean we leave without a deal but it is far batter to leave without a deal than to have this travesty of a Parliament prevent leaving completely, which is its aim.

The worrying thing is that the Remain clique in Parliament will be adding amendments to the withdrawal agreement which could scupper leaving completely.

I don't think it is worth the risk. PMBJ should simply not present any more bills to Parliament until the 1st November. I don't think there is any time allocated for a Private Members bill before then and in any case they would be talked out.

It would mean we leave without a deal but it is far batter to leave without a deal than to have this travesty of a Parliament prevent leaving completely, which is its aim.
Whilst I don't agree with a convoluted and planned method of a forced Leave with no deal (or the almost certain legal action afterwards) it is an interesting tactic parliamentary Leavers would be best to consider.

For me the continuance of the Conservative Party is best served by the PM doing his best to follow the rules (irrespective of how Remainers aided by the speaker bend or beak rules and/or convention), push for his deal until he can no longer do so then either go for the Default No Deal or inform the EU that whereas they will extend our stay for however long they wish, the UK government will pay no more into the EU than what was agreed in the latest agreement.

I firmly believe that whenever a GE is finally held, voters will not forget (and that's both sides) so the bad blood will continue. Boris would do well to get all those who have been involved in the crude attempts to usurp the government and betray the wishes of the majority of voters deselected as soon as he can, preferably before the GE because they will continue in their attemps to frustrate the government.

I believe all this dicking around by parliament has done far, far more damage than leaving without a deal. Of course that will never be acknowledged by those who seek to thwart Brexit against the will of the people.

Latest Threads