Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Unless she denies it publicly - German way or not - then her silence is tantamount to a confirmation Boris is being truthful about the phone call. That's the British way.
Oh, well, never mind.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Club Swinger

War Hero

Resignation being openly discussed on Con Home.
Although the article makes interesting reading I still lost the will to live around the half way point.

If he resigns, and there is a General Election, won't there have to be a Tory Party leadership re-run so they know who will represent them in the election? If that is the case could Boris put his name in the hat again, if he could, would he?

I'm normally a 'glass half full' kind of person, but lately I'm thinking either way, I'm still missing half a fcuking pint. Just wish we could press the fast forward button and get it all over and done with either way.

I believe that these were to do with prorogation prior to a GE, whereas this one is purely to end the parliamentary session and herald the next one with a Queens Speech where those time limits are not applicable.
Do you ever think that once the dust settles we’ll see the nest of vipers address.

May elections when MPs lose the whip or resign from the party.

maximum and minimum prorog timings .

etc etc etc

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Although the article makes interesting reading I still lost the will to live around the half way point.

If he resigns, and there is a General Election, won't there have to be a Tory Party leadership re-run so they know who will represent them in the election? If that is the case could Boris put his name in the hat again, if he could, would he?

I'm normally a 'glass half full' kind of person, but lately I'm thinking either way, I'm still missing half a fcuking pint. Just wish we could press the fast forward button and get it all over and done with either way.
If there's another election, Johnson merely has to retain his seat as an MP (not necessarily his current seat, of course). The Tory leadership is a second order question.

The only fast forward option is to revoke Art 50, once we leave (or if we leave) you're looking at more than 5 years of the same panto to try to get something as close as possible to the current deal.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If there's another election, Johnson merely has to retain his seat as an MP (not necessarily his current seat, of course). The Tory leadership is a second order question.

The only fast forward option is to revoke Art 50, once we leave (or if we leave) you're looking at more than 5 years of the same panto to try to get something as close as possible to the current deal.
bullshit-16.png

However, at least we will have left.

At that point, while I'm sure the more extreme wing of the current Remain side will argue incessantly to rejoin (which will include adoption of the Euro), the debate will be a debate, rather than ever more desperate attempts to apply legal chicanery to frustrate government policy. There is nothing wrong with having that debate - properly - free from the hypotheticals of Project Fear (and £350M/week for the gaping maw of the NHS).

On trade, we will also see just where being outside the SM & CU takes us. We will also see how the EU grapples with losing its second largest net contributor and one of its larger export markets. We may also see how it deals with the continuing exodus from Africa and Asia and whether diktat from Brussels will compel the more slavic members to accept further migration. We may also see how the Med economies survive and we will not be on the hook to bail them out.

At last, we will also be free of the excuse of "free movement" for the Home Office to hide it's inaction and inertia behind - and finally may start to see rational immigration policies developed and applied. For clarity, immigration per se is not a bad thing - irrespective of nationality or race. Untrammelled and most importantly uncontrolled immigration is.

At that point, while I'm sure the more extreme wing of the current Remain side will argue incessantly to rejoin (which will include adoption of the Euro), the debate will be a debate, rather than ever more desperate attempts to apply legal chicanery to frustrate government policy. There is nothing wrong with having that debate - properly - free from the hypotheticals of Project Fear (and £350M/week for the gaping maw of the NHS).

On trade, we will also see just where being outside the SM & CU takes us. We will also see how the EU grapples with losing its second largest net contributor and one of its larger export markets. We may also see how it deals with the continuing exodus from Africa and Asia and whether diktat from Brussels will compel the more slavic members to accept further migration. We may also see how the Med economies survive and we will not be on the hook to bail them out.

At last, we will also be free of the excuse of "free movement" for the Home Office to hide it's inaction and inertia behind - and finally may start to see rational immigration policies developed and applied. For clarity, immigration per se is not a bad thing - irrespective of nationality or race. Untrammelled and most importantly uncontrolled immigration is.
Stinking Racist!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

I suspect that won't be Brexitty enough for the swivel-eyed.

Once we're out, the so-called swivel eyed and the so-called Remaniacs will I hope be marginalised.

The vast majority can then get on with their lives and deal with reality rather than suffer the mental torture of their manoeuvring.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Once we're out, the so-called swivel eyed and the so-called Remaniacs will I hope be marginalised.

The vast majority can then get on with their lives and deal with reality rather than suffer the mental torture of their manoeuvring.
Once we're out, remainiacs will be the "swivel eyed".

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

As I say, if we leave that is merely the end of the easy bit and then the hard work begins.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I refer the gentlemen to the post I made some moments ago.
Brexit will consume politics for at least the next 5 years. 'Get Brexit Done' is merely yet another vacuous slogan from people who haven't got a clue beyond staying in power.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As I say, if we leave that is merely the end of the easy bit and then the hard work begins.
But at least then we will be in a more level playing field as the EU will have lost its vice-like hold on us!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Brexit will consume politics for at least the next 5 years.
The surprising bit of course will be the number of Remainers who will come out and say, "We were really rooting for brexit" - the lying barstewards!

Latest Threads