Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of the majority 4 Conservative committee members are you suggesting are Remainers?

Costa appears to be the only one who was anti Brexit pre 2016.

Of the four Conservatives on the committee, three voted a while ago to do nothing about Owen Paterson (remember him?) and the fourth abstained. The chances of them finding the PM guilty of any wrongdoing, regardless of the evidence, is, er, assessed as somewhat close to zero. From the Number Ten point of view, they are a pretty safe bet.

Dread misses the target again - by a mile. But will no doubt revert with further personal abuse in place of coherent rational argument ;-)

Well, for once I agree with more than half of one of your posts.

Nobody but BB - sorry - Timmy realistically expects defence spending to rise by 9.6%, which isn't exactly a shock.

Our "downturn" is pretty bloody awful.

The Tory Party hasn't been a "party of strong defence" for a long while, but sadly neither has anyone else with even a vaguely realistic hope of forming a government. The acknowledgement of the existential threat provided by the Cold War appears to be making a comeback however, and from the noises he's making I think it's fair to say that the Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson MP is likely to be as strong on defence as he can afford to be in the future, probably stronger than a Labour PM would be.

As for tank battles being a thing of the past, oops. An error, and one also believed (or at least promoted) by the then CGS.
Show ignored - The problem with that viewpoint is the public. How many votes is there in supporting Ukraine or growing our defense budget to defend Estonia from a theoretical threat and the answer is none.

You will have to take money from another department, tax it or print even more money.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Show ignored - The problem with that viewpoint is the public. How many votes is there in supporting Ukraine or growing our defense budget to defend Estonia from a theoretical threat and the answer is none.

You will have to take money from another department, tax it or print even more money.
Please feel free to fcuk off like you promised, over and over again.

A manifesto is not a promise to do anything and has zero legal standing

It’s just about trust and expecting people to make good on their commitments. Easy for snake oil salesmen to worm out of.

Have you found out what gerrymandering means?

And the one in Verden, ditto.

That was the last one I ever saw in 1987 (as a pads brat), they seemed to have disappeared.

That's probably Boris's fault as well.

I've been to several meetings over the past few months and one thing always come up.
It's that at no point did the UK govt say 'OK, covid is pretty much over, get back to how you used to work as quickly as you feel you can'. In all the meetings, we were talking about companies (some of them we had the meetings with) still trying to work as if there would be another lockdown in the imminent future. No one from the govt ever said 'Go!' and many companies in my field have been sluggish getting back to 'normal' operations.
This was a big mistake by the govt I feel and simply assuming that the private sector just started back up late last year is a poor way to manage an economy, especially when I was talking to people in April/May who still hadn't got back to normal jogging because no one told them it was ok to do so.

I absolutely agree - the govt allowed its much vaunted 'nudge' unit of sicko psychiatrists to disband having done everything it could to programme the population with fear but made zero effort to de-escalate and use the self same tactics to 'nudge' people and businesses back to any semblance of normality. Even today, there are large numbers of people who truly believe masks work and are still terrified

Right. So you’re criticising him for supporting the Army’s experts whilst simultaneously criticising him for not support ex-military guys who may once had had a bit of expertise but at a lower level.

Blimey. Next you’ll be saying Lewis Page’s ideas for the fleet are the way to go.

Should Boris have backed the Army’s official point of view? Or should he have waste d time, effort and money on a process that duplicates and undermines the Army’s experts and chain of command?

If I was you, I’d just stay quiet now as not only are you complaining about Boris not listening to experts, but not listening to Army Experts. On an Army forum.

Where did serving army experts tell him to get rid of Warrior, reduce CR2, take the army to its smallest since The Napoleonic Wars, bin C 130, invest in Ajax and reduce our war fighting capability to barely a Division?

Even today, there are large numbers of people who truly believe masks work and are still terrified
Health care professionals ?

Right. So you’re criticising him for supporting the Army’s experts whilst simultaneously criticising him for not support ex-military guys who may once had had a bit of expertise but at a lower level.

Blimey. Next you’ll be saying Lewis Page’s ideas for the fleet are the way to go.

Should Boris have backed the Army’s official point of view? Or should he have waste d time, effort and money on a process that duplicates and undermines the Army’s experts and chain of command?

If I was you, I’d just stay quiet now as not only are you complaining about Boris not listening to experts, but not listening to Army Experts. On an Army forum.

Telling Service Chiefs to come up with a plan to restructure the military with large cuts in funding, isn’t taking advice from them on what they want.

It’s giving them a fait accompli that they had to work with and give a range of solutions for.

It’s not what they would have wanted.

Where did serving army experts tell him to get rid of Warrior, reduce CR2, take the army to its smallest since The Napoleonic Wars, bin C 130, invest in Ajax and reduce our war fighting capability to barely a Division?
Perhaps you could point out where he personally told the forces to bin Warrior, C130 etc etc. Along with everything else he personally was responsible for.

It must be great being a SoS or Cabinet Minister in his government. No need to do any work because PMBJ will sort it out. Personally. No need for Cabinet collective accountability, because PMBJ carries the can. Always.

I still can't work out if everything is Boris' fault, or nothing is his fault from this thread.

It's like a few of the most vocal supporters/detractors have just swallowed whatever "truth" they adhere to and are unable to deviate through fear of looking a bit silly.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could point out where he personally told the forces to bin Warrior, C130 etc etc. Along with everything else he personally was responsible for.

It must be great being a SoS or Cabinet Minister in his government. No need to do any work because PMBJ will sort it out. Personally. No need for Cabinet collective accountability, because PMBJ carries the can. Always.

He is The PM. The Defence Select Committee can see the problem.

I worked within HQ Regional Command from 2012 to 2015. Without going into detail, their force generation showed me that the hollowing out started way before Boris came along.

But why let facts get in the way of blaming Boris for things he didn’t do?

Between 2015 and 2020 (when Cameron and May set the budget) governments, MOD’s budget grew by about 0.5% in real terms.

In 2020, Boris announced a real-term increase to the MOD’s budget of 12%,

As for your ”Where did serving army experts…” question, well, I’ll dumb the MOD budget process down to a level even you may understand.

The decisions on what the MOD spends it’s military budget on is down to the Chiefs of Staff, who are advised by their generals, who get their information from their Colonels.

Every aspect of the equipment budget (including cuts) will have been assessed and agreed by the relevant experts within the military.

You are constantly telling us Boris is a buffoon who doesn’t do detail. Yet here you are, suggesting he’s making decisions that are down in the weeds.

“Grrrs” are like strings: every yoyo needs one.

He is The PM. The Defence Select Committee can see the problem.

Jeebus

If the Defence Select Committee want to get into the Nitty Gritty of Defence spending - The person that should be getting questioned is the Secretary of State for Defence.

Otherwise - Why bother having one.

I worked within HQ Regional Command from 2012 to 2015. Without going into detail, their force generation showed me that the hollowing out started way before Boris came along.

But why let facts get in the way of blaming Boris for things he didn’t do?

Between 2015 and 2020 (when Cameron and May set the budget) governments, MOD’s budget grew by about 0.5% in real terms.

In 2020, Boris announced a real-term increase to the MOD’s budget of 12%,

As for your ”Where did serving army experts…” question, well, I’ll dumb the MOD budget process down to a level even you may understand.

The decisions on what the MOD spends it’s military budget on is down to the Chiefs of Staff, who are advised by their generals, who get their information from their Colonels.

Every aspect of the equipment budget (including cuts) will have been assessed and agreed by the relevant experts within the military.

You are constantly telling us Boris is a buffoon who doesn’t do detail. Yet here you are, suggesting he’s making decisions that are down in the weeds.

“Grrrs” are like strings: every yoyo needs one.

I never said it was only Bozo’s fault, he is the current in a long list of Conservative PMs who talk about strong defence, but don’t really practice it.

Along with law and order and low taxes.

Jeebus

If the Defence Select Committee want to get into the Nitty Gritty of Defence spending - The person that should be getting questioned is the Secretary of State for Defence.

I’m fairly sure that they will have. Maybe suggest it to them.

Bozo is The PM.

Jeebus

Every Civil Servant from Executive Officer level upwards can be summoned to Parliament, questioned by MPs, and asked to account for their decisions.

The MPs usually satisfy themselves by grilling the Perm Secs or Directors instead.

Questioning the PM about departmental issues is either playing to the audience, highlighting a failure of the relevant Department to engage, or political point scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads