Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Quality. Don't piss off HM The Boss.

View attachment 416481
There is no one in the judiciary with the authority to even request the queen to testify and that is the only way they could accuse Boris of telling porkies. It is only being assumed that he prorogued parliament to avoid scrutiny - what if he told the monarch that the procedure would also provide some well needed breathing space about Brexit, though that was not the intention - merely an unwitting bonus so to speak. He is bound not to reveal what was said, the privy counselors who did the talking are also duty bound not to reveal what was said and in strict terms, Boris wasn't even there, so he doesn't actually know what was said.

Supreme court will throw it out. But, I fear, unless Boris gets some kind of deal, Brexit is not going to happen and I think I would rather opt for discretion and fight another day than be faced with a Brexit deal negotiated by either Corbyn or a loose coalition of tree-huggers.

Mike Barton

War Hero
There is no one in the judiciary with the authority to even request the queen to testify and that is the only way they could accuse Boris of telling porkies. It is only being assumed that he prorogued parliament to avoid scrutiny - what if he told the monarch that the procedure would also provide some well needed breathing space about Brexit, though that was not the intention - merely an unwitting bonus so to speak. He is bound not to reveal what was said, the privy counselors who did the talking are also duty bound not to reveal what was said and in strict terms, Boris wasn't even there, so he doesn't actually know what was said.

Supreme court will throw it out. But, I fear, unless Boris gets some kind of deal, Brexit is not going to happen and I think I would rather opt for discretion and fight another day than be faced with a Brexit deal negotiated by either Corbyn or a loose coalition of tree-huggers.
We used to have three separate but equal branches of the constitution, the executive, the legislature and the judiciary, they all had their clearly defined roles and those roles were sacrosanct.

However we are now in the extraordinary scenario where the legislature has taken over the role of the executive and the judiciary is interfering in the legislature, all in order to overthrow the result of the biggest democratic exercise in British history.

And the Remainers accuse Boris of staging a coup?

Mike Barton

War Hero
McManus never sat, it was the original abstentions seat there were all sorts of jiggery stuff going on to gift it to the shinners in time for Sands to get it.
McManus was later succeeded by another Frank M, Frank Maguire. He was also an abstentionist, famously leading to the downfall of the Callaghan government when it lost the vote of confidence by one vote. Maguire came to the House of Commons that night but was impervious to the pleas of Labour MPs asking him to swing the vote for the government, he refused. When asked why he bothered to show up he said he came "to abstain in person", as only an Irishman could.

Maguire would not support Callaghan because the Labour government refused to compromise on the H Block issue, so he voted (or didn't vote) to bring it down. A classic case of the law of unintended consequences then occurred as it led to the election of Maggie Thatcher, who as events were to show was to be no friend of the H Block men.

Alsace-Lorraine?
Oldenburg currently a part of NRWP. Unfortunately for us we're far to independent for our own good. You know it was rather a hangover of Napoleon's attempt at Europeanisation- oh hang on. Alsace the joke was in Germany no one would prosecute them as they never knew who they belonged to.The only good thing to come from there was a sheepdog.

But, I fear, unless Boris gets some kind of deal, Brexit is not going to happen and I think I would rather opt for discretion and fight another day than be faced with a Brexit deal negotiated by either Corbyn or a loose coalition of tree-huggers.
If that were to happen, Parliament would be toast, but I suspect it's merely been a condiment of pretence since 1973, it'll just become more pronounced with the "it the EU's law, can do nothing." whilst the tree huggers pretend to get back to nature and their inner self. This will not finish with remain-...........

This will not finish with remain-...........
Holy Brexit Batman, you mean?

Yes, Old chum; the worst is yet to come.

They should get the band back together

We used to have three separate but equal branches of the constitution, the executive, the legislature and the judiciary, they all had their clearly defined roles and those roles were sacrosanct.

However we are now in the extraordinary scenario where the legislature has taken over the role of the executive and the judiciary is interfering in the legislature, all in order to overthrow the result of the biggest democratic exercise in British history.

I was listening to a tv lecture on the issue of sovereignty and have no doubt that these legal actions are a direct impact of EU law on the UK legal system.

Nonsense, the history of the past 30 years has been the steady growth of the executive branch with an increasingly 'Presidential Prime Minsterial' role in a generally supine legislature.

Nonsense, the history of the past 30 years has been the steady growth of the executive branch with an increasingly 'Presidential Prime Minsterial' role in a generally supine legislature.
I.e. the EU model. It strikes me as an indication of the muddled thinking of those claiming to champion the power of parliament that they are championing it's right to carry on as a tick box chamber for EU laws generated by an un-elected executive [the EU Commission] and similarly 'ticked' through the EU parliament.

Chimp

ADC
Holy Brexit Batman, you mean?

Yes, Old chum; the worst is yet to come.

They should get the band back together
Answer: "Cock Robin."
Question: "What's that up my ass Batman?"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

What people seem to forget is that BoJo did not speak to Betty, he sent Jacob RM and a couple of Privy Councillors to do the deed!

Totally in line with EU procedure. It’s that supinity I call into question and Lisbon capped it. No thought required, just bring mantra a rubber stamp

I.e. the EU model. It strikes me as an indication of the muddled thinking of those claiming to champion the power of parliament that they are championing it's right to carry on as a tick box chamber for EU laws generated by an un-elected executive [the EU Commission] and similarly 'ticked' through the EU parliament.
Indeed.

And as odd as shutting it to preserve Parliamentary sovereignty when the executive doesn't get its way!

Ah clowns to the left of us, jokers to the right, here we all are stuck in the middle.

I am concerned with the long term implications, a pandoras box has been opened. In future I can see every action by the executive and law passed by the parliament will be referred to the judiciary for approval or rejection. This will in due time lead to the questioning of the judiciary (just started) as self regulated and appointed and the call for elected judges, leading to political activism in their system. As for legal challanges, we all know that lawyers will take anybody's money

many other websites agree.
Hardly authoritative. The only real reference to is the following, from 1822, where it is described as having been "occasionally added to the original Anthem".

So, it was certainly never the "sixth verse" of the official anthem.

Latest Threads