Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Interesting that there were only eight UU votes as I wondered who the other NI MPs were, forgetting that there were only 12 NI MPs at that time. Paisley got the other Unionist seat, Gerry Fitt got West Belfast and two "Unity" seats one of which was none other than Bernadette Devlin, who took her seat (much to Reggie Maudlin's chagrin during the Bloody Sunday debate) and Frank McManus, an abstentionist I think.

If I am not wrong at the time the UUs took the Tory whip in the House so they would be regarded as government seats. Did Fitt, Paisley or Devlin vote for the Accession Act?
Not sure, worth a look at Hansard.....would'nt be surprised if Fitt did....I quite liked tbe guy, though his successful recommendation to free 'Scap' from internment had unwitting repercussions.

Last edited:
I don't care, little white lies are acceptable and in this case necessary to move this whole circus wagon on!
So just to confirm, you are happy with lying by politicians to potentially The Queen, The People and Parliament as long as it gets the outcome you desire?

So just to confirm, you are happy with lying by politicians to potentially The Queen, The People and Parliament as long as it gets the outcome you desire?
Little white lies my dear chap, like when the wife asks "Does my bum look big in this?" you know that you have 1 millisecond to answer in the negative or you'll be living in a world of hurt for weeks if not months.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Little white lies my dear chap, like when the wife asks "Does my bum look big in this?" you know that you have 1 millisecond to answer in the negative or you'll be living in a world of hurt for weeks if not months.

Good luck with that one.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Not sure, worth a look at Hansard.....would'nt be surprised if Fitt did....I quite liked tbe guy, though his successful recommendation to free 'Scap' from internment had unwitting repercussions.
Releasing Scap was probably the most effective anti-terrorist action that the British state took during the Troubles ;)

Who here genuinely believes that this prorogation of Parliament is only in order to prepare the domestic political agenda for The Queens Speech or believes that this is a Government tactic to speed through a no deal Brexit on 31/10?

Interested to see what people feel.
Me, m’lud.

The Queen, Parliament, the people and indeed the Ulster Unionists were lied to in 1972 in order to take us into the bloody thing. It would take a thesis to justify that argument, but consider this:

Ted Heath sanctioned the introduction of Internment in NI against the advice if his CGS, against the advice of tbe GOC NI and against the advice of his defence minister precisely because the alternative would have ment the immediate resignation of the Stormont goverment and the early introduction of Direct rule at a time Heaths priority wax EC membership. Within 6 weeks of the Jan 72 vote which only succeeded because of the Ilster Unionist votes, Heath didn't need them any longer and he took action to return responsibility for NI security to Westminster thereby forcing the NI government to resign and counter-forcing direct rule. Internment was a civil, military and political disaster that led directly to the NICRA march in Derry 30 Jan 1972 - and to the ensuing conflict (103 soldiers KIA in NI 1972 (mostly after direct rule started). Heath went sailing before the Op Demetrius was implemented and the CGS took a months leave.......and all because the laddy loved Belgian chocolates...

Another lip wobbling buffoon who believes Leave voters are 'uneducated 'Sheeple', unlike him, who has a degree, you know.

Here's a Doctor who also has a degree I would assume:

View attachment 416344
I took a look at the good Doctor's twitter page and note that she is both Irish and has published a book called "Gender and Diplomacy". I'm certain she has the pulse of the man in the street.

Releasing Scap was probably the most effective anti-terrorist action that the British state took during the Troubles ;)
I doubt we shall gain a definitive official answer to that in our lifetime, but you could be right...even if a few innocents or fellow agents fell along the way. It was a bad and dirty conflict....but, no such thing as a fair fight.

Latest Threads