Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Incompetent or corrupt. V worrying.

Incompetence or corruption by the manufacturer is a possibility.
Incompetence by government agencies is also a possibility, but many of the contracts were done under the emergency procurement regulations which means there is a greater risk of items being substandard or not delivered at all. The fact that these substandard items were discovered before being put to use suggests there were robust procedures in place to check the items and there are clauses in the contracts which allow for the reclaiming of monies spent on substandard or non existent items.

Incompetence by government agencies is also a possibility, but many of the contracts were done under the emergency procurement regulations which means there is a greater risk of items being substandard or not delivered at all. The fact that these substandard items were discovered before being put to use suggests there were robust procedures in place to check the items and there are clauses in the contracts which allow for the reclaiming of monies spent on substandard or non existent items.

Excellent, I look forward to seeing a £2.8 bn credit to The TP.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well yes, but there's no shrieking hysteria to be found in that sort of rational explanation now is there?

Excellent, I look forward to seeing a £2.8 bn credit to The TP.
Blimey. You managed to read my post, the 28 page Public Accounts Committee report and draft your response in one minute. Way to go.:rolleyes:

How about the farmers paying decent wages so they don't have to import foreign pickers, who they can then fleece through charging accommodation in derelict caravans?
Here's an incentive for them that galvanised NZ farming, end all their subsidies if they don't.
I'm sure all of this will be solved by the hoardes of plucky Leave voters rushing to the aid of the farmers.

Won't they?

#WinningAtBrexit

From wiki:

"Mike Galsworthy is the co-founder of Scientists for EU and Healthier IN the EU and a media commentator about the effects of Brexit on the scientific community in the United Kingdom"

A less than painful nugget of anti-Brexit propaganda then....
So he was right, then.

In normal times it wouldn't matter.
£2.8Bn always matters.

The items may be redeployed in other areas, e.g plastic aprons unsuitable for theatre use may be redeployed to domestic use (kitchens etc)

Depending on why the items are not 'fit for use' will influence who carrys the can for it - bad spec, poor QC, damaged in transit, changed rqts, etc. But you can be sure that if the manufacturer or shipper is at fault then a credit will be forthcoming assuming that the contract had been paid, which I'd be surprised if it has. The NHS enjoys extremely favourable credit terms, 180 days is not unknown.

But I know that's not headline material for the nice-but-dim crowd who not only see tabloid journalism as the source of the truth but cant even be arsed (or able) to read the full article and make an educated analysis of the issue.

Truxx

LE
Let me get this straight.

Loads of the PPE that the NHS did not have was defective in some way?

In the words of Sir Terry

Is it me?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mind there are one or two questions that need to be asked.
The first is that if the first thing that comes to mind as an emergency is Terrorism, exactly how should any government structure procurement for the unforseen, which by definition is unplannable. The twin towers wouldn't have come down had they been planned with the concept for two wide bodied aircraft ploughing into them, even better, had they not been built because someone foresaw that two aircraft would.
The second and rather more important question is. if the organisations such as WHO had actually done their job rather than pandering to Chinese wishes in notification there would have been a longer lead in period.
Thirdly is the what if, no organisation can afford to overstocked JIC where do they keep, all this, who do they keep employed JIC they're needed

My biggest frustration with bojo is his strange reluctance to sack people - in particular for me were Hancock and SAGE which he should have replaced and refreshed long ago - the country was held back by those people being single minded in thought and fixated on only their solution, when there were many other highly experienced people who could have brought alternative solutions and/or options to the table - there’s a reason that squaddies do 6 month op tours and I can’t see why civvies in responsible positions and managing emergencies, shouldn’t also be swapped out in a similar fashion - I can only hope that this cabinet reshuffle brings new focus and energy into the recovery

Truxx

LE
My biggest frustration with bojo is his strange reluctance to sack people - in particular for me were Hancock and SAGE which he should have replaced and refreshed long ago - the country was held back by those people being single minded in thought and fixated on only their solution, when there were many other highly experienced people who could have brought alternative solutions and/or options to the table - there’s a reason that squaddies do 6 month op tours and I can’t see why civvies in responsible positions and managing emergencies, shouldn’t also be swapped out in a similar fashion - I can only hope that this cabinet reshuffle brings new focus and energy into the recovery
Better the devil you know...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why do you think Hancock should have been sacked? Many people feel that he is actually one of the best Health Minsters for a long time.

Health is a poisoned chalice. The press and the health establishment are going to be against you whatever you do - unless you can splurge money on doctors. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that because they didn’t like him he was doing a bad job.

Latest Threads