Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Sacked ministers allegedly get a £17k pay off. Unsatisfactory performance pays.
How much do 'underperforming' coppers who are allowed to resign and keep their pension get ?

How much do 'underperforming' coppers who are allowed to resign and keep their pension get ?

The same as soldiers. Or anyone else who has qualified for a pension by way of time served and contributions made. If you get sacked prior to your pension qualifying date, you have to wait until 65 and miss out on thousands.

A £17k additional pay off isn’t anything to do with a pension. It’s in addition to their wages and expenses.

Does anyone else get a payment for being demoted on UPP?

The same as soldiers. Or anyone else who has qualified for a pension by way of time served and contributions made. If you get sacked prior to your pension qualifying date, you have to wait until 65 and miss out on thousands.

A £17k additional pay off isn’t anything to do with a pension. It’s in addition to their wages and expenses.

Does anyone else get a payment for being demoted on UPP?
Presumably it's considered the equivalent of the resettlement pay for MPs who lose their seat and/or redundancy pay, as they are losing an enhanced salary that went with the ministerial role.

Presumably it's considered the equivalent of the resettlement pay for MPs who lose their seat and/or redundancy pay, as they are losing an enhanced salary that went with the ministerial role.

Do you get a specific payment in any other public sector job for being sacked/demoted or moved sideways? If yes then fair enough.

Do you get a specific payment in any other public sector job for being sacked/demoted or moved sideways? If yes then fair enough.
Generally speaking demoting people in a way that affects their salary is difficult in UK law. Ministers aren't really "sacked" despite the papers loving to use the term.

Have MPs got themselves some lovely terms and conditions? Yes.

Do I waste my life raging against the wind because of it? No.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes

"Ministers under 65 years old who leave their office are entitled to a quarter of their annual ministerial salary under the 1991 Ministerial and other Pensions and Salaries Act.

The golden goodbye is available regardless of whether they are sacked or resign - as long as they do not get another government job within three weeks."

Yes

"Ministers under 65 years old who leave their office are entitled to a quarter of their annual ministerial salary under the 1991 Ministerial and other Pensions and Salaries Act.

The golden goodbye is available regardless of whether they are sacked or resign - as long as they do not get another government job within three weeks."

The question was, does this exist in any other public sector job?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sacked ministers allegedly get a £17k pay off. Unsatisfactory performance pays.
You do know that it applies to all MPs in that position, not just Conservative ones?

OK. Let me get this straight.

we should not be remotely interested in the demise of the
Prime Ministers mother.

We should, however, be intensely concerned about the wallpaper.

I think I have the hang of it now.
Quite right given its taxpayers money.

I wouldn't get too excited, though.

You do know that it applies to all MPs in that position, not just Conservative ones?

Yes. But I cannot see any other public sector job, where sacking/demotion results in an automatic payment.

They got it originally because it's an elected office if an election is called then they wouldn't get redundancy notice (90 days?). As soon as an election is called then the pay stops.

Edit apostrophe failure

I can see that. That isn’t the same as a sacking or demotion resulting in an automatic payout.

I take your point.
Politicians though, they're speeeshul, ain't they?

They are the only people I know, who can vote through their own perks and can’t refuse a pay rise because an independent body decided it.

However they can ignore the recommendations of others independent pay review bodies.

I
Boris certainly lives up to his reputation as being galscially slow to respond and to take action where and when it is needed. Even with Matt Hancock he waited until he was completely backed into a corner and had nowhere else to go.

I think that he has surpassed even this in the case of Priti Patel. Her fall, when it does come, is going to be that much more difficult for him to manage while preserving some shred of integrity.
I do wonder if she's doing deals that the govt don't want people finding out about, rather than being purely contemptuous of the rules & public. Edit: and civil servants!
That security committee (on Russia?) didn't get the gov't nominee.

We know she's a bully already & she's not doing much Home Sec work, it seems, so it could be either. It's difficult to tell when Johnson seems to select/retain for loyalty rather than skill.

Latest Threads