Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Truxx

LE
But legislation exists to help ensure that everybody does and that there will be consequences for those who do not. It is there to ensure that the majority are protected from the minority who won't play by the rules (and such a minority has to be expected).

In the case of Covid, failure to comply is not something that will only potentially affect the transgressor. It is something that will potentially affect others, possibly very many others.

The law is there to deal with the idiots and the anti-social, The government is the state legislature. It is their duty to legislate and to protect all. The duty of the citizen is to obey the law and thereby to protect his fellow citizen. Merely issuing friendly advice in the vain hope and expectation that it will be heeded is complete folly, even more so when the safety and wellbeing of millions is at stake.

Where there are those who decline to play by the rules - Yes, they are at fault. But so is the government that fails to ensure the protection of the majority.
From which I must assume that you are one of the people that need to be told, via legislation, rather than common sense, how to behave.

At least we have cleared that up.

ETA a further thought occurs. It was General David Ramsbottom who said, after his underhand "resignation" from the post of HM Inspector of Prisons (he discovered that he had "resigned" when he read about it in the newspaper) "just because it is written down does not mean it is going to happen"

Last edited:
From which I must assume that you are one of the people that need to be told, via legislation, rather than common sense, how to behave.

At least we have cleared that up.

ETA a further thought occurs. It was General David Ramsbottom who said, after his underhand "resignation" from the post of HM Inspector of Prisons (he discovered that he had "resigned" when he read about it in the newspaper) "just because it is written down does not mean it is going to happen"

We are not talking about me! Laws are there for everyone. That includes you, even though you seem to believe that you exist on some superior plain and can happily get through life without the protection and guidance of the law.

Do you seriously believe that the law is there for the idiots or that the statute books should be thrown in the skip and that we rely upon 'common sense'? No, of course you don't. You're just being argumentative for its own sake.

The law exists precisely for people like you, who believe that their own version of 'common sense' is sufficient in itself. Heaven help everyone else if that was the case.

Do you not see that you've gone full circle in your argument???

Again, I await an explanation. Or is it just another empty and contrarian one-liner without any basis?

Says the utter clown who would have voted for the even bigger clown; one Rory Stewart.

View attachment 571849
Why would he have voted for a Tory? He's a diehard Labour supporter according to you. I am too, apparently.

Go back to bed.

Truxx

LE
We are not talking about me! Laws are there for everyone. That includes you, even though you seem to believe that you exist on some superior plain and can happily get through life without the protection and guidance of the law.

Do you seriously believe that the law is there for the idiots or that the statute books should be thrown in the skip and that we rely upon 'common sense'? No, of course you don't. You're just being argumentative for its own sake.

The law exists precisely for people like you, who believe that their own version of 'common sense' is sufficient in itself. Heaven help everyone else if that was the case.
What I am saying is that the progress of the pandemic overall was to do with the actions of citizens not the actions of the government.

So every "the government made mistakes that cost thousands of lives" need to be matched with an equally vehement "people made mistakes that cost thousands of lives"

End of chat.

What I am saying is that the progress of the pandemic overall was to do with the actions of citizens not the actions of the government.

So every "the government made mistakes that cost thousands of lives" need to be matched with an equally vehement "people made mistakes that cost thousands of lives"

End of chat.

And I say that you are wrong. I say it was both. It was the action of the government which was slow in its responses and actions and very confused in its decision making and in its communication.

A minority of individuals were also remiss in their personal conduct and behaviour (and here we mustn't forget Mr B Johnson and Mr D Cummings themselves).

The government, being the administrative and legislative authority for the whole country, naturally bears the greater responsibility,

We really need to wait and see whether Brexit is a success.
True, but how long do we wait? 1 year, 5, 10, 20?

And how do we decide what is a consequence of Brexit and what is a consequence of Covid?

I think we will just enter a period where anything negative will be pinned to Brexit, no matter how tenuous the link, and anything positive with be despite Brexit.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile this morning, Gove is doing a masterful job of putting Marr back in his box. If only all Government ministers could argue so clearly and forcefully, for once Marr has been prevented from employing his usual rapid fire interruption tactics to full effect. Polite, not at all defensive, on message, not avoiding questions but not allowing the interviewer to badger him and control how he answered, a masterclass in how to get a message across.

And how do we decide what is a consequence of Brexit and what is a consequence of Covid?

I think we will just enter a period where anything negative will be pinned to Brexit, no matter how tenuous the link, and anything positive with be despite Brexit.

I hope Brexit is a success, I want to live in a prosperous U.K. I think about 5 years.

In comparison to other similar countries, we should be able to work out where we are sitting and what caused what.

Truxx

LE
Meanwhile this morning, Gove is doing a masterful job of putting Marr back in his box. If only all Government ministers could argue so clearly and forcefully, for once Marr has been prevented from employing his usual rapid fire interruption tactics to full effect. Polite, not at all defensive, on message, not avoiding questions but not allowing the interviewer to badger him and control how he answered, a masterclass in how to get a message across.
ABC as I used to teach

Answer
Bridge
Communicate

Chimp

ADC
It appears in MSM that voters don’t care about the Prime Minister’s integrity - Wallpaper-gate, giving money to American girlfriends, lying during the referendum, doing the dirty on your cancer stricken wife, avoiding questions etc. Oh well we have the Government and Leader the people deserve. I’m just glad I have a tax free pension…

Truxx

LE
It appears in MSM that voters don’t care about the Prime Minister’s integrity - Wallpaper-gate, giving money to American girlfriends, lying during the referendum, doing the dirty on your cancer stricken wife, avoiding questions etc. Oh well we have the Government and Leader the people deserve. I’m just glad I have a tax free pension…
I suspect they are more concerned with getting Brexit done, emerging successfully from a pandemic and getting the economy on its feet again

With those done they can get to grips with wallpaper, off the cuff phrases said in private and other Really Important Issues.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

To the SNP and Labour, anything bad for the next century will be down to Brexit/Covid and the Tories! Just look at how Maggie Thatcher is viewed.

Angela Rayner's been sacked. Lots of in-fighting and finger pointing in Labour circles.

Looks like BoJo's not got much of an opposition to hold him to account at the mo; they're too busy holding each other to account.

download-5.jpg

I suspect they are more concerned with getting Brexit done, emerging successfully from a pandemic and getting the economy on its feet again

With those done they can get to grips with wallpaper, off the cuff phrases said in private and other Really Important Issues.

In contrast what has the SNP got to do? It wouldn't be in their own interest to get Brexit done successfully or getting the economy on it's feet again.

If they did that what would be the point of independence? And they can blame the bad stuff on Westminster/Brexit.

Surely the best way to handle the situation would be to give them what they want; another referendum and honour the outcome?

One-way-or-another they're going to get it anyway.

I hope Brexit is a success, I want to live in a prosperous U.K. I think about 5 years.

In comparison to other similar countries, we should be able to work out where we are sitting and what caused what.
I’m not sure it will be that easy, some thing will, like fishing right, not being able to sell bivalves in the EU without them being filtered etc.

But somethings such as such as employment etc, and large parts of the economy are too entangled with everything else to be able to say whether it was Brexit of the after effects of covid etc.

Covid has probably been a bit of good fortune as far as Brexit is concerned, as trade slowed down anyway, people have had more time to adapt to the new paperwork and customs changes etc.

In contrast what has the SNP got to do? It wouldn't be in their own interest to get Brexit done successfully or getting the economy on it's feet again.

If they did that what would be the point of independence? And they can blame the bad stuff on Westminster/Brexit.

Surely the best way to handle the situation would be to give them what they want; another referendum and honour the outcome?

One-way-or-another they're going to get it anyway.
I agree, but don’t let them wait to long, just go bam you can have a referendum, but it must be held in the next 6 months.

Or alternatively, let them try being kind of independent for a year, pause the Barnet Formula etc and see how they get on then give them a referendum.

Chimp

ADC

But of course! Brexit remains a disaster, the Pandemit was poorly handled with the exception of the vaccine roll out, trade deals are behind what they were and BJ is apt at pissing of the EU. We have the smallest Armed Forces in centuries and due to cuts in overseas aid our international reach is dwindling. While BJ may have the ambitions of Disraeli he has turned the highly divided UK into Belgium with the Bomb, but without the friends.