Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I see things have got back to normal.

I was wondering if we were all going to get out and have a game of football, swap cigarettes and chocolate.

Nah. :)
Blame that eurohun @wetsmonkey for lobbing stick grenades into the penalty box , then saying "but wofur are du moaning about mein perfektlich reasonable use of peace-loving grenaten?"

No, I made the point that those were the current rules, it's not hard to check seeing as that was currently published on the Government website, that its at odds with what you claimed, in that they were free to just wander around, hence there being laid down sanctions if they get caught breaking the rules, you might not like when and how the rules get changed, but they do as and when HMG decide to do so after taking all factors into account

I give up.

Daz

LE
You're not, you're floundering. You made a point of quoting the rules pertaining to the situation as of tomorrow, not as they have existed hitherto. Self-isolation under the current rules pertaining to India depend on everyone doing the right thing unsupervised. This they do not do, whether deliberately or through misunderstanding. It is not for the individual to mark his own homework at a time when there is a significant risk to the safety, health and the well-being of the whole community.

I am all for the government taking the correct (and stringent) action but at a time when it is most efficacious (ie early rather than too late, as is its custom). It's the difference between preventative and reactive.

I have never been critical of the government taking positive action or being too hasty, but I have criticised them consistently when they have been indecisive and painfully slow to act. India should have been on the red list weeks ago.
You might also be interested in the fact that...all extra flights bid for by airlines after the announcement,were refused !

All those trying to sneak in before the cut off, will have to make other arrangements !

You might also be interested in the fact that...all extra flights bid for by airlines after the announcement,were refused !

All those trying to sneak in before the cut off, will have to make other arrangements !

Just those on the existing flights for the last few weeks. If you were a cynical person, you might think it was linked to a trade visit to India by Bozo.

Blame that eurohun @wetsmonkey for lobbing stick grenades into the penalty box , then saying "but wofur are du moaning about mein perfektlich reasonable use of peace-loving grenaten?"
Put him on ignore mate

Truxx

LE
I give up.
To be honest you should have checked the current rules before posting from the hip.

Your approach, however, is one that is worth further consideration. You come across as someone who subscribes to the idea that governments and other authorities need to legislate (small "l") every breath taken, rather than those same governments and authorities providing guidance and "rules" in the hope and expectation that the public (or at least those with half a brain cell) will take it seriously and do as they are asked.

Tool

LE
What you are describing is a situation that does not yet exist (but then again, you knew that). As I stated, India is not yet actively on the red list, although there has been a very real and well-documented and widespread double mutation problem in India for a considerable time.

At present, the only requirement for arrivals from India is an unsupervised self-isolation period of ten days.
Until tomorrow arrivals from India have been able to mix freely with others. By signalling in advance its intention to place India on the red list it will have encouraged travellers to 'beat the deadline' to avoid the more stringent and very necessary controls. It is a typically Boris move.

Why are you deliberately confusing the situation as it currently exists with one that is yet to happen?
Taking a look at the situation in India (from Covid-19: How India failed to prevent a deadly second wave)

"In early March, India's health minister Harsh Vardhan declared the country was "in the endgame" of the Covid-19 pandemic...

At the end of February, India's election authorities announced key elections in five states where 186 million people were eligible to vote for 824 seats. Beginning 27 March, the polls would stretch over a month, and in the case of the state of West Bengal, be held in eight phases. Campaigning had begun in full swing, with no safety protocols and social distancing. In mid-March, the cricket board allowed more than 130,000 fans, mostly unmasked, to watch two international cricket games between India and England at the Narendra Modi stadium in Gujarat...

By mid-April, the country was averaging more than 100,000 cases a day."

So, less than 2 weeks after their second wave expolded, more stringent travel restrictions were put into place. Up to that point, India said it was managing and they were on top of the pandemic in their country.

Reading storis on the Beeb (because it is freely available, if biased), some have been trying since 12 April to get flights, and have not been able to because they have been booked up. Those that had returned were subject to self-isolation.

You cannot just go "ah well, as of 10:00PM tonight no further flights take place". International relations do not work that easily, especially if you're trying to restrict your own residents from entering their home country.

Oh FFS change the record.

Stripping this down to the basics, you hate Boris. That's it; you have nothing else to add.

I don't hate Boris, and consider him to be the best, or least worst, Tory politician to occupy 10 Downing Street at the moment. He is flawed just as all humans are, and these flaws may well be his undoing, but he's a vote winner, and the first job of any politician is to get elected. as the leader of the Conservative & Unionist Party of which I am a member he has achieved a huge majority, won the war inside his own Party, and enacted the decision of the largest democratic vote ever taken by this nation against fierce opposition. He's a rogue, a philanderer, economical with the actualité on occasion, and he's broken his word, but he's a winner. As @Boumer said earlier, the Tory Party is the most effective political machine in the world, and when Boris becomes an impediment out he will go. He is not yet an impediment, and the rather pathetic efforts to smear him at the moment merely add weight to the level of his success.

Your childish hatred of Boris leads you to hold him to an unattainable standard. A politician is not a policeman; political skulduggery is a ruthless field, one in which the current PM thrives and if he were the plaster angel you demand he should be he would sink without trace, as would the nation's prospects. To quote Churchill: "Never stand so high on principle that you cannot lower it to suit the circumstances".
As a Cussy investigator I spent many a happy (not) hour in the witness box* at court giving evidence.

There was a thankfully small number of colleagues of whom it was frequently said " I wouldn't want to follow him/her into the box".

I have no doubt that the entire Police force/service/constabulary in which that one track wonder claims to serve say that of him.

* Not he f*cking stand, that's Yankee, and not to be confused with what used to be a nice little boozer just off Fleet Street.

As a Cussy investigator I spent many a happy (not) hour in the witness box* at court giving evidence.

There was a thankfully small number of colleagues of whom it was frequently said " I wouldn't want to follow him/her into the box".

I have no doubt that the entire Police force/service/constabulary in which that one track wonder claims to serve say that of him.

* Not he f*cking stand, that's Yankee, and not to be confused with what used to be a nice little boozer just off Fleet Street.

There are grades of that. Some you wouldn't have wanted to go to a call with, some you wouldn't want to follow into the box.

The reasons for either are varied.

On a serious note, I wouldn't want to follow Johnson into a witness box; for the reason I suggested earlier. He'd say whatever was expedient at the moment in hand.

Grrr Cummings?

To be honest you should have checked the current rules before posting from the hip.

The rules for non-red listed countries are very much reliant on people always doing what is required. From the moment the arrival, he/she is permitted to travel by any means to the place where they are staying (with all the attendant risks of infecting others). Once there, there is no supervision of whom they come into contact with or in what circumstances. In many circumstances they will be able to mix with other family members for whom there are no restrictions or requirements. These family members are prone to infection as well as carrying any such infection into schools and workplaces.

As there is no supervision of the person self-isolating (other than the remote possibility of a notional compliance check) there is no real safeguard preventing a person, if they are so inclined, to come and go as they please.

This system must have been seen as being functionally inadequate by HMG themselves as they have drawn a set of more stringent (supervised) requirements for those arriving from red listed countries.

HMG has been very slow (as they were with lockdown #1) in introducing these requirements on arrivals from India, where a serious new risk had been identified some time ago.

Please God, the Indian variant does not prove to be antibody or vaccine evading.

You cannot just go "ah well, as of 10:00PM tonight no further flights take place". International relations do not work that easily, especially if you're trying to restrict your own residents from entering their home country

Actually, you can. If you are a government that is not too timid to govern, you can impose any restrictions and requirements necessary to safeguard the country during a time of global emergency.

In India, infection and death rates have gone through the roof in a way not so far experienced elsewhere. It would be very reasonable to assume that the real extent of the problem has been under-reported.

Just those on the existing flights for the last few weeks. If you were a cynical person, you might think it was linked to a trade visit to India by Bozo.

What are you wetting your panties for ?

It's already in the EU

The Covid-19 variant contributing to a surge in coronavirus cases in India has been detected in Belgium in a group of Indian students who arrived from Paris, Belgian authorities said on Thursday.

The only way to stop it is to ban all flights from anywhere, not just red list Countries.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The favoured tactic of the weak. Reinforce the echo.
So by that rationale I am the "strongest" poster on Arrse, having never put anyone on ignore in 16 years.

You fcuking idiot. What sort of smug prick says "if you don't read my hateful drivel that means I win"? Oh yes, that's you.

Truxx

LE
The rules for non-red listed countries are very much reliant on people always doing what is required. From the moment the arrival, he/she is permitted to travel by any means to the place where they are staying (with all the attendant risks of infecting others). Once there, there is no supervision of whom they come into contact with or in what circumstances. In many circumstances they will be able to mix with other family members for whom there are no restrictions or requirements. These family members are prone to infection as well as carrying any such infection into schools and workplaces.

As there is no supervision of the person self-isolating (other than the remote possibility of a notional compliance check) there is no real safeguard preventing a person, if they are so inclined, to come and go as they please.

This system must have been seen as being functionally inadequate by HMG themselves as they have drawn a set of more stringent (supervised) requirements for those arriving from red listed countries.

HMG has been very slow (as they were with lockdown #1) in introducing these requirements on arrivals from India, where a serious new risk had been identified some time ago.

Please God, the Indian variant does not prove to be antibody or vaccine evading.

Actually, you can. If you are a government that is not too timid to govern, you can impose any restrictions and requirements necessary to safeguard the country during a time of global emergency.

In India, infection and death rates have gone through the roof in a way not so far experienced elsewhere. It would be very reasonable to assume that the real extent of the problem has been under-reported.
So you are of the opinion that enforcement of common sense rules are required, thereby removing the need for people to think, and more importantly act, for themselves?

Latest Threads