Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Amazing, the BBC is screaming its head off about Boris texting Dyson, because that's Baaaaad, and Chauvin being convicted in the US because that's gooood, but are strangely quiet about Johnny Mercer being sacked by Boris because he informed the PM he would resign over the Bloody Sunday trial due to start shortly, presumably because even though it's bad news for Boris, trying soldiers for murder 50 odd years on for political reasons is... good?

Do you only read the BBC or is it only the BBC you decide is worth slagging off?
No, they are not being quiet about Mercer being sacked and have quite a long article on it.
Other media outlets, including Arrser's favourite outrage stirring papers, also have similar articles on the newly sainted Floyd and the evil Chauvin. Funnily enough, most of them are also giving the same amount of coverage to Boris and Dyson.

However, to quote the ever hilarious Arrsers and their comments, this is simply BBC Grrrr.

So pretty irrelevant then?
Well, it depends on whether or not you consider the following to be irrelevant or not:
1. The light it shines on his personal morals (meh)
2. The fact that it was only London. A bit of corruption in London is normal, right?
3. That fact that he has consistently lied about the relationship. I guess we're all just used to it now.

I disagree.

It reads to me as being a case of, “If you come here to help the UK save lives in the midst of a pandemic, we’ll agree not to punish you financially whilst you are saving lives.”

Whilst I agree it is unorthodox, and that rich people having a route straight to the PM is not something I’m keen on, an alternative interpretation of this particular situation is that Boris was taking a hands-on approach to help remove anything that might deter people from saving lives in the UK.

That’s a good thing.

Man with personal wealth of £16.2 billion needs more taxpayers money to do the right thing for his country during pandemic. Organised on a back channel by Bozo.

Public sector workers who worked through the pandemic receive pay freeze.

WightMivvi

War Hero
Or because they might have broke the law eh?
Normally, I’d agree with you (I know -wtaf! ;)). Being a soldier shouldn’t protect you from the legal consequences of your actions.

However...

As we have given immunity from prosecution to the other side, we should also give the same immunity to our side.

I have no problem with an inquiry, I have no problem if that inquiry concluded that British soldiers committed murder, and I have no problem with that inquiry asking that the British government pays some sort of compensation. But, as we have given immunity to “Irish” murderers, we should do the same for British murderers.

He thinks he acted with integrity, having sex with Jenny in his house whilst his wife was out. It stinks.

I quite like this article,

Essentially

There was probably some truth in what Johnson says somewhere

Yet many of Johnson’s voters thought he was telling the truth about Brexit, and couldn’t care less whether on some of the points with which he adorned his case he was indulging in hyperbole.

To them it didn’t matter whether the £350 million figure on the side of the bus during the 2016 referendum was literally true. The general truth that we were sending quite a bit of money to Brussels was scandalous enough.

But more critically (and my emphasis)
Such voters are not interested in the points of detail which Oborne cites, with footnotes, in order to prove Johnson a liar. They reckon all politicians are liars. What they want to know is whether Johnson is on their side and will get things done – whether in that respect he is honest.

People probably don't care whether he is sorting out his mates ("they all do it"), shagging around ("they all do it"), outright lying ("they're all as bad as each other"), or looks the otherway at dodgy Russians (TBF - both sides probably do that, Tories for the Money and Labour for the Cause).

All that can be squared away and reconciled - what cannot is will he deliver on that which the fan base want?

After all the True Believers believe in their project and are ever alert to the scent of betrayal, whereas I supspect "two letters Johnson" only viewed it as a vehicle to rise to the Prime Minister's office.

And I would suspect both sides know that as well.

Well, it depends on whether or not you consider the following to be irrelevant or not:
1. The light it shines on his personal morals (meh)
2. The fact that it was only London. A bit of corruption in London is normal, right?
3. That fact that he has consistently lied about the relationship. I guess we're all just used to it now.
Having an affair is not a crime, and even she denied that anything happened until very recently.
Is there any evidence of “corruption” as I was under the impression that this was still being investigated by London council.

Having an affair is not a crime, and even she denied that anything happened until very recently.
Is there any evidence of “corruption” as I was under the impression that this was still being investigated by London council.
I see, you've moved on from whether or not his denied affair with Arcuri was relevant or not, because he was only the Mayor of London at the time, to demanding proof of criminality. That's quite a leap.

If I went shagging during police work time, it would be gross misconduct. If I did it as a married soldier it would fail the service test.

We have politicians who enforce codes and standards on public sector workers but feel free to do exactly what they want with impunity.

It’s hypocritical.

I see, you've moved on from whether or not his denied affair with Arcuri was relevant or not, because he was only the Mayor of London at the time, to demanding proof of criminality. That's quite a leap.

Retreating to the next line of defence as your previous position is overwhelmed.

The fact that these action don’t break any laws or rules are the most worrying thing to me.

WightMivvi

War Hero
Man with personal wealth of £16.2 billion needs more taxpayers money to do the right thing for his country during pandemic. Organised on a back channel by Bozo.

Public sector workers who worked through the pandemic receive pay freeze.
I think you might be seeing stuff that isn’t there.

I don’t think he was being offered (or asking for) more taxpayers money; I think he was asking that the normal personal taxation rules be put aside so that those people who wanted to help the UK didn’t lose out.

I suspect this is one of those rich domicile tax thingies, where you become liable for tax if you spend so many days in the UK. If these experts were near the limit of their allowed number of days, coming to the UK to save lives could have resulted in a multi-million tax bill. And that was a disincentive for them to help us.

To get their help, which could save lives, that disincentive needed to be removed.

Of course, we may have negative views of rich people who won’t help save lives if it costs them millions, but that’s a personal morals thing, not a government thing.

If I was faced with a choice of saving lives or maintaining the sanctity of a tax rule, I’d choose saving lives.

Lesser of two weevils and all that.

That's done and dusted isn't it?

The IOPC said its review had taken longer than expected because some of the records it had wanted to see "either never existed or have been deleted".

The full report is here

The moral I extract from this is to be sure to delete all records and blame bad record keeping.

:)

Capture.PNG

It is not illegal to have an affair, so that is irrelevant. It would only be a problem if he stood up in the House of Commons and lied about it, which I don’t believe he has done.

As for proof of criminality that i don’t think it is reasonable to ask for proof, considering you are the one who accused him of such. I know that there are allegations he took her on official trips and stuff, and I understand that those allegations are still being investigated. Whether you like it or not he is innocent until proven guilty.

If I went shagging during police work time, it would be gross misconduct. If I did it as a married soldier it would fail the service test.

We have politicians who enforce codes and standards on public sector workers but feel free to do exactly what they want with impunity.

It’s hypocritical.
Do you have evidence that he “went shagging” during his working time?

Latest Threads