Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The news on all this (Im not a fan of Wendy ball) has rather passed me by

Has BJ and HMG actually got involved or has he simply expressed a supportive opinion on the matter.
At the moment, the latter, with the threat of the former hanging.

At the moment, the latter, with the threat of the former hanging.

Is this super league a bad thing

One of the problems for English football is the premiership. Its status revenue and attraction to foreign types. Thus the top English teams dont have (an abundance of) English players - this is detrimental to england.

The super league teams departure will perhaps be an oppertunity for getting an English player dominated premiere league.

Possibly even one with lower wages and dare i suggest it ticket prices.

The problem with the super league idea is mainly that they are looking to create a closed league system.

Similar to the MLS, where there is no promotion or relegation, and is an idea born purely out of greed.

If the government were to get involved all they would need to do to stop it, or at least stop English teams taking part, is to enact legislation that only competitions affiliated with The FA are allowed in England (I believe France and Germany already have similar laws). This would mean that any English clubs would have to play all of their games in another country.

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
The problem with the super league idea is mainly that they are looking to create a closed league system.

Similar to the MLS, where there is no promotion or relegation, and is an idea born purely out of greed.

If the government were to get involved all they would need to do to stop it, or at least stop English teams taking part, is to enact legislation that only competitions affiliated with The FA are allowed in England (I believe France and Germany already have similar laws). This would mean that any English clubs would have to play all of their games in another country.
Not a wendyball fan, I notice though that being in a small closed shop with loads of dosh would be appealing to those teams bordering on dropping out of the premiership... someone mention one of the teams (Arsenal)? would potentially be playing "top league" European football in the week but probably playing Barnsley on the weekend...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not a wendyball fan, I notice though that being in a small closed shop with loads of dosh would be appealing to those teams bordering on dropping out of the premiership... someone mention one of the teams (Arsenal)? would potentially be playing "top league" European football in the week but probably playing Barnsley on the weekend...
Same as, but these would be the very same teams that complain about match congestion towards the season's end, having played in the Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup, then on top of that, there's also the Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions to figure in too and now they want to play an extra 18-23 matches per season?

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
Same as, but these would be the very same teams that complain about match congestion towards the season's end, having played in the Premiership, FA Cup and League Cup, then on top of that, there's also the Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions to figure in too and now they want to play an extra 18-23 matches per season?
No, but they want the big sack of cash ;-)

Is this super league a bad thing

One of the problems for English football is the premiership. Its status revenue and attraction to foreign types. Thus the top English teams dont have (an abundance of) English players - this is detrimental to england.

The super league teams departure will perhaps be an oppertunity for getting an English player dominated premiere league.

Possibly even one with lower wages and dare i suggest it ticket prices.
The Premiership channels money through to the lower leagues and grass roots football, mens & womens, this Super Doopa League has no such committment. Games will not neccessarily be played at current home grounds as one of the earlier attempts was to play games in places like New York, India, China etc in fact anywhere they can generate huge crowds paying loads a money for the billionaire owners such as The Glazers, Abramovich,Florentino Perez etc.

With the money supplied by JP Morgan all Super Doopa League clubs will be either buy all the best players throughout the world irrespective of nationality or, in the case of most of them, pay off some of their debt (The Glazers as Man Utd owners won't do that of course as they bought the club by puting it in debt by taking out loans based on the clubs assets, the club they didn't own at the time).

Any Premier League that remains will still have teams with lots of Johnny foreigners it it, just look at the Championship and lower leagues and prices may go up as TV money will go down.

Why is Bozo getting involved in football? Nothing unlawful, free market economy.

Stinks of populism and diversion.

Who gives a ****

Let him run around like a Teflon gimp. He's shrugged off a bunch of money to someone he was shagging, some rubbish attempt to sink the Russia report of the Int and Sy Committee. What a bit of trying to be "down with the lads" over football?

Still, he called a COBR(A) for that quicker than he got to one for Covid eh?

Who cares he's giving people what they want. At the moment.

His issue is keeping his plates spinning whilst he wants to stay PM, whilst his hawkish mates keep their eye on him. He's merely an opportunist, and he'll disappoint the true believers.

I'm sure that has occured to him. I have no doubt it has to the others, who are laser-focussed on "betrayal" as it is neccessary to their grevience narrative and sense of self-importance.

1618943323388.png

Truxx

LE
Who gives a ****

Let him run around like a Teflon gimp. He's shrugged off a bunch of money to someone he was shagging, some rubbish attempt to sink the Russia report of the Int and Sy Committee. What a bit of trying to be "down with the lads" over football?

Still, he called a COBR(A) for that quicker than he got to one for Covid eh?

Who cares he's giving people what they want. At the moment.

His issue is keeping his plates spinning whilst he wants to stay PM, whilst his hawkish mates keep their eye on him. He's merely an opportunist, and he'll disappoint the true believers.

I'm sure that has occured to him. I have no doubt it has to the others, who are laser-focussed on "betrayal" as it is neccessary to their grevience narrative and sense of self-importance.
Why would the PM need to attend an inter departmental working meeting to discuss Covid?

Or are you just chanting something you read on facebook?

Plus beating Starmer to the punch re. footy isn't a bad shot either.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Why would the PM need to attend an inter departmental working meeting to discuss Covid?

Or are you just chanting something you read on facebook?

Plus beating Starmer to the punch re. footy isn't a bad shot either.
It's OK, just @Boumer trying to out-Grrr @wetsmonkey :). There seems to be a bit of a competition between then to see who is the best Grrr-er.

Tell you what, glad he spent £2.6 million on that new press room before ditching the "White House" style daily briefings eh?

Yes, that much-heralded and super-expensive, £2.6m briefing room in No.9 Downing Street won’t be hosting live, televised press conferences three times a week after all. The union flags, the almost electric blue backdrop, the curious lectern fonts will never get the airtime intended.

Room looks.....

source.gif

Nothing to do with looking slightly dishonest here was it by any chance*?

*Not that either he or his supporters gives AF.

Although the idea has now fallen on it arse, there are closed leagues in football and other sports around the world.
The UK is just used to relegation/promotion.

Although the idea has now fallen on it arse, there are closed leagues in football and other sports around the world.
The UK is just used to relegation/promotion.
Which is the way it should be.

I like the fact that it is theoretically possible for a club to go from the bottom of a grass roots league to the top of the premier league.

Closed leagues are also about the money not the football, as they aren’t really a competition as there is no consequence for playing badly, as even if you lose every game you still get to stay in that league.

Truxx

LE
Tell you what, glad he spent £2.6 million on that new press room before ditching the "White House" style daily briefings eh?

Room looks.....

View attachment 567052

Nothing to do with looking slightly dishonest here was it by any chance*?

*Not that either he or his supporters gives AF.
I am glad you are glad.

Although you have obviously never had anything to do with Government infrastructure costs.2.6M looks a bit of a bargain to me. Especially spread over the next 15 years at least.

Which is the way it should be.

I like the fact that it is theoretically possible for a club to go from the bottom of a grass roots league to the top of the premier league.

Closed leagues are also about the money not the football, as they aren’t really a competition as there is no consequence for playing badly, as even if you lose every game you still get to stay in that league.

About 99% of football is about money, whether they have a closed league or not.

A hundred years ago it was possible to go from the bottom to the top, now its virtually impossible unless a passing billionaire takes an interest.

About 99% of football is about money, whether they have a closed league or not.

A hundred years ago it was possible to go from the bottom to the top, now its virtually impossible unless a passing billionaire takes an interest.
True, but the paths are there.

I referee grass roots football, and there is a clear path from the Saturday league I officiate in which is the lowest you can be all the way to the top.

However, it does need about 50 promotions and there is a stage where you have to have a ground that meets certain criteria which needs money.

True, but the paths are there.

I referee grass roots football, and there is a clear path from the Saturday league I officiate in which is the lowest you can be all the way to the top.

However, it does need about 50 promotions and there is a stage where you have to have a ground that meets certain criteria which needs money.

Which means closed leagues aren't really the problem.
In theory the whole of the FA is closed, because if I remember the rules correctly, teams in the FA cant play UK teams that aren't in the FA.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer