Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst fine by me morally, setting up a charity for donations to fund the No 10 flat redecoration may be a case of incredible bad political timing, as discussed here:

"Back in 1998, the then-Lord Chancellor came under fire from all sides after he described spending £650,000 of public money on decorating his flat as a 'noble cause'.

Lord Irvine of Lairg claimed the investment on his official apartment in the House of Lords would be appreciated by future generations. That 'investment' included £59,000 on wallpaper. Reflecting on the price of the wallpaper, Lord Irvine told the Commons Public Administration Committee he had no reason to apologise.

At the time, senior Conservatives including then Shadow Trade President John Redwood were quick to go on the attack over the 'extravagance'.

Is history about to repeat itself? After all, at a time when the Chancellor is considering hiking taxes, it's hardly a good look for the Prime Minister to be attempting a lavish home makeover at the expense of others. Are we about to see the Red Wall vs the Gold Wall?"

However, surely it's better to have private funding for this rather ostentatious extravagance rather than expecting the taxpayer to stump up as Irvine did in '98?

Grrr
1614702805213.png

So if people want to give money for decorating a property, we can’t allow that?

That brings us back to whether other public servants are free to take money and goods from people who might expect something in return.

I’m sure you weren’t allowed to and I know for damn sure I can’t.

I’m fairly happy that they can cope in the place fine just as it is. It smacks of entitlement.

Just remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Everyone wants something in turn for their investment.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Double Grrr!

Daz

LE
Just remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Everyone wants something in turn for their investment.
The Unions lucked out then with their "investment" in Magic Grandpa :)

That brings us back to whether other public servants are free to take money and goods from people who might expect something in return.

I’m sure you weren’t allowed to and I know for damn sure I can’t.

I’m fairly happy that they can cope in the place fine just as it is. It smacks of entitlement.
I think what you mean is preferment wouldn’t be expected just because some rich people decide to give a few Bob to spruce up Boris’s pad. They’ll be getting preferment because of their relationship with Boris, like, that’s how things have always worked even in Blairs time. Plus ca change. Our work could be undermined because of partiality in legal matters. That’s a heck of a distinction

I think what you mean is preferment wouldn’t be expected just because some rich people decide to give a few Bob to spruce up Boris’s pad. They’ll be getting preferment because of their relationship with Boris, like, that’s how things have always worked even in Blairs time. Plus ca change. Our work could be undermined because of partiality in legal matters. That’s a heck of a distinction

Rubbish, £Billions in contacts and Peerages far outstrip anything that your average public servant can backhand.

Yet we are supposed to accept that Bozo can take whatever he likes from people and not be beholden to them. The PM of The U.K. should be beyond reproach, regardless of who or what party they represent.

Rubbish, £Billions in contacts and Peerages far outstrip anything that your average public servant can backhand.

Yet we are supposed to accept that Bozo can take whatever he likes from people and not be beholden to them. The PM of The U.K. should be beyond reproach, regardless of who or what party they represent.
With respect, could I ask you to digest what I wrote. The concept of a paragon of virtue running this country would fill me with dread.

Oyibo

LE

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can't be arssed to trawl back through the thread, but weren't the delphic remainers saying he was going to have to resign early this year?
Some even went 'Boris Grrr'.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I fail to understand why people keep slanging off re Boris when it's his girlfriend Carrie Symonds who wants to change no 10 - but then again she is described as a political activist.

Redecorating? What's the dead cat next week?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Redecorating? What's the dead cat next week?
Well, whatever Wozo scrapes out of the bottom of the barrel next is my guess.