Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
In many EU countries, it is only mentioned if Covid was the actual cause of death, not whether the person had been tested positive in past 28 days.
1614347835340.png

In many EU countries, it is only mentioned if Covid was the actual cause of death, not whether the person had been tested positive in past 28 days.
It took a while, but I found this statement from the Robert Koch Institut in Germany.

In die Statistik des RKI gehen die COVID-19-Todesfälle ein, bei denen ein laborbestätigter Nachweis von SARS-CoV-2 (direkter Erregernachweis) vorliegt und die in Bezug auf diese Infektion verstorben sind. Das Risiko an COVID-19 zu versterben ist bei Personen, bei denen bestimmte Vorerkrankungen bestehen, höher. Daher ist es in der Praxis häufig schwierig zu entscheiden, inwieweit die SARS-CoV-2 Infektion direkt zum Tode beigetragen hat. Sowohl Menschen, die unmittelbar an der Erkrankung verstorben sind („gestorben an“), als auch Personen mit Vorerkrankungen, die mit SARS-CoV-2 infiziert waren und bei denen sich nicht abschließend nachweisen lässt, was die Todesursache war („gestorben mit“) werden derzeit erfasst.

Through Google translate:

The statistics of the RKI include the COVID-19 deaths in which there is laboratory-confirmed evidence of SARS-CoV-2 (direct pathogen detection) and who died in relation to this infection. The risk of dying from COVID-19 is higher in people who have certain pre-existing conditions. Therefore, in practice it is often difficult to decide to what extent the SARS-CoV-2 infection contributed directly to death. Both people who died directly from the disease ("died of") and people with previous illnesses who were infected with SARS-CoV-2 and for whom it cannot be conclusively proven what the cause of death was ("died with" ) are currently being recorded.

So, pretty much the same as the UK's second measure, then.

Last edited:
It took a while, but I found this statement from the Robert Koch Institut in Germany.

In die Statistik des RKI gehen die COVID-19-Todesfälle ein, bei denen ein laborbestätigter Nachweis von SARS-CoV-2 (direkter Erregernachweis) vorliegt und die in Bezug auf diese Infektion verstorben sind. Das Risiko an COVID-19 zu versterben ist bei Personen, bei denen bestimmte Vorerkrankungen bestehen, höher. Daher ist es in der Praxis häufig schwierig zu entscheiden, inwieweit die SARS-CoV-2 Infektion direkt zum Tode beigetragen hat. Sowohl Menschen, die unmittelbar an der Erkrankung verstorben sind („gestorben an“), als auch Personen mit Vorerkrankungen, die mit SARS-CoV-2 infiziert waren und bei denen sich nicht abschließend nachweisen lässt, was die Todesursache war („gestorben mit“) werden derzeit erfasst.

Through Google translate:

The statistics of the RKI include the COVID-19 deaths in which there is laboratory-confirmed evidence of SARS-CoV-2 (direct pathogen detection) and who died in relation to this infection. The risk of dying from COVID-19 is higher in people who have certain pre-existing conditions. Therefore, in practice it is often difficult to decide to what extent the SARS-CoV-2 infection contributed directly to death. Both people who died directly from the disease ("died of") and people with previous illnesses who were infected with SARS-CoV-2 and for whom it cannot be conclusively proven what the cause of death was ("died with" ) are currently being recorded.

So, pretty much the same as the UK's second measure, then.
Have a look at
or
The study (dated November 2020) linked in those posts looks at the differences between six countries with regard to legislation, recording and reporting.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which countries specifically are they?
Go and read the document linked above about how countries are reporting Covid. It is long but will give you your answers. I'm not doing your homework.

Go and read the document linked above about how countries are reporting Covid. It is long but will give you your answers. I'm not doing your homework.

That’s fine, using the phrase, “In many EU countries”, is very vague and wishy washy though.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s fine, using the phrase, “In many EU countries”, is very vague and wishy washy though.
Don't use it then; read the doc, and put out a more detailed post yourself.

You're the one whining about it, you've had a source doc provided, get on with it.

Do you want your food pre-chewed as well?

Don't use it then; read the doc, and put out a more detailed post yourself.

You're the one whining about it, you've had a source doc provided, get on with it.

Do you want your food pre-chewed as well?

I didn’t use it.

Daz

LE
Tedious bellend strikes again, perhaps if you could have been bothered to read the linked document in the first place you'd avoided looking like Nicola Sturgeon ducking a committee summons

Das Risiko an COVID-19 zu versterben ist bei Personen, bei denen bestimmte Vorerkrankungen bestehen, höher. Daher ist es in der Praxis häufig schwierig zu entscheiden, inwieweit die SARS-CoV-2 Infektion direkt zum Tode beigetragen hat.
In other words they will only take into consideration Covid where it is established as the direct cause of death, not where there were underlying conditions because it cannot be established exactly that Covid was the cause of death, but a contributory factor. I would appear that the concept of actually contracting Covid within 28 days is not considered contributory because many people actually survive.
What we are looking at imho is the distinction between how many actually caught it and again we don't know because there will be people out there who have never been tested. So the thing is when I go for my Jab on Wednesday will I and SWMBO be tested to establish whether we have it, before getting the jab.

If you don't know what I am talking about you are thicker than I realised.

I quoted a phrase used by someone else, another person told me not to use that phrase, I responded that I didn’t use the phrase.

Now what are you talking about?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I didn’t use it.
Ask me why I am not surprised! In fact it did give a lot of substance to your arguments, but started and finished by pointing out the different ways that countries use to count are making accurate comparisons difficult.

It's in the Graun - So it must true and will cause tears of anguish to flow

The Conservatives have secured their biggest lead over Labour since last summer amid signs Boris Johnson is benefiting from a “vaccine bounce”, the latest Opinium poll for the Observer has revealed.

A year into the pandemic, the poll gives the Tories a 7-point lead over Labour, up from 5 points a fortnight ago. It is the biggest lead since July, with the Conservatives on 43% of the vote and Labour down 1 point on 36%. It also suggests greater public support for the government’s handling of the latest phase of the pandemic and the roadmap out of lockdown measures.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Despite Brexit.
Despite Kuenssberg.
Despite Peston.
LK and RP must be furious that their efforts have not only been in vain but probably have helped PMBJ as he stood up to their asinine questioning and walked the walk instead of just talking!

Somewhat different north of the border.

LK and RP must be furious that their efforts have not only been in vain but probably have helped PMBJ as he stood up to their asinine questioning and walked the walk instead of just talking!

Somewhat different north of the border.

That's a rapidly changing picture though isn't it?
The key point being trust, even North of the Wall trust in Boris is creeping slowly up whilst trust in Holyrood and the SNP is plummeting

Latest Threads