Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
A discreet and nuanced admittance would be fully acceptable. I don’t expect it though, it seems to be a tactic of this Cabinet, not to accept fault or responsibility for a single
mistake.

You and others who continually defend and support him, when he has blatantly been incompetent and made huge misjudgments appear to have an intimate and private love of the man. I find this equally worthy of mention.
The faults and failure to lead competently, in a major crisis, has destroyed credibility in Johnson. The poll numbers are starting to fall and the northern MPs are the canary in the mine, for the chances of a future conservative government, which are diminishing fast.

On a positive note, a few wise heads can still highlight his strengths and perhaps a country two years down the line will look different. For a little acorn for the true believers, I thought six months late the government talking about defending statues and hinting that the nation state is a trust and not a revolutionary plaything is encouraging.

Truxx

LE
The faults and failure to lead competently, in a major crisis, has destroyed credibility in Johnson. The poll numbers are starting to fall and the northern MPs are the canary in the mine, for the chances of a future conservative government, which are diminishing fast.

On a positive note, a few wise heads can still highlight his strengths and perhaps a country two years down the line will look different. For a little acorn for the true believers, I thought six months late the government talking about defending statues and hinting that the nation state is a trust and not a revolutionary plaything is encouraging.
More unsubstantiated piffle. Please post any supporting evidence there's a good chap

So Labour don't have a 4-5 point lead ? you should look past Boris grrrr and start worrying about Tory grrrr.
We need details of the poll so we can determine it wasn't one carried out by the Guardian polling its subscriber base.

Mong.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So Labour don't have a 4-5 point lead ? you should look past Boris grrrr and start worrying about Tory grrrr.
Very few polls in the last decade or so have had their reputation enhanced by actual election results.

It doesn't help that nowadays few polls are genuinely impartial and are set up with agendas to be followed.

Have you now left your ExtraSuperSPAD role at the Treasury/Home Office/Trade & Industry*. I do hope not? How will the government cope without you?

* I can’t remember which ministry you were last advising.

Very few polls in the last decade or so have had their reputation enhanced by actual election results.

It doesn't help that nowadays few polls are genuinely impartial and are set up with agendas to be followed.
Agreed and I've argued many times, that polling is not something to bet your house on. But, then again, its still an insiders tip and not easily dismissed as it feeds into a trend analysis. So lab/con were tied and now its slowly widening to a labour lead, but still small enough, to suggest a hung parliament rather than a chance of labour majority.

My point; is Boris as a brand has been badly damaged and I simply don't see, how it can be turned around, as covid was hardly his finest hour (whatever the difficulties). The question we are slowly approaching is whether Boris is damaging the conservative party, or if he is the best they're have to offer, that only transfers the damage from Boris to the party itself.

Truxx

LE
Sorry

You might be confusing me with someone who gives a sh1t about polls which generally speaking are not worth the paper they are printed on.

As for who might fare well in a few years time, who knows? Not you nor I and that's for certain

You will of course provide us all with a link to the poll you quote just so that we can shred it.

Good man/ person

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agreed and I've argued many times, that polling is not something to bet your house on. But, then again, its still an insiders tip and not easily dismissed as it feeds into a trend analysis. So lab/con were tied and now its slowly widening to a labour lead, but still small enough, to suggest a hung parliament rather than a chance of labour majority.

My point; is Boris as a brand has been badly damaged and I simply don't see, how it can be turned around, as covid was hardly his finest hour (whatever the difficulties). The question we are slowly approaching is whether Boris is damaging the conservative party, or if he is the best they're have to offer, that only transfers the damage from Boris to the party itself.
I have no doubt the media will follow your Boris Grrr theme ignoring the good work done on Brexit, purchasing of vaccinations, releasing Treasury reserves to pay for furlough and other Covid support schemes. Boris Grrr means he has done absolutely nothing right and therefore has to be castigated.

I am also certain that Boris did not think he would retain every former Labour seat in the Red Wall that Tory gained last GE, but on the same tack, I doubt Labour are confident they will get all these former seats back - if there is a Labour Party at the next GE!

Truxx

LE

As an aside if the minor niggles over Brexit can be sorted and the vaccination programme delivered plus a few other "wins" I see no reason why this time next year there will not be a very good story to tell.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As an aside if the minor niggles over Brexit can be sorted and the vaccination programme delivered plus a few other "wins" I see no reason why this time next year there will not be a very good story to tell.
IMHO
Brexit will calm down over the next 12 months or so, with France constantly trying to put the proverbial spanner(s) in the spokes.
Vaccination will become a norm in the same way as polio and smallpox were.

I also think Covid and it's fallout will be a major issue for many years to come, and not just for Britain.

Once Brexit/Covid issues are dealt with then the job becomes one of management and in this the Tories are way better than Labour. The one major factor in Labour's favour has nothing to do with the abilities or competences (or not!) of Labour, it is the fact that the British public don't like seeing one Party in power for too long and Tory will have been in power for a long time.

Genuine question, Boris is at the helm and it's his decisions that have us running at the front of the pack on vaccinations so should he not get the credit?
Running at the front of the pack may not be that much of an achievement when you see things like:

The First Minister of Wales has been accused of a "go-slow" vaccination strategy after he defended the speed of the Covid jab roll-out.​
A total of 88,163 people have been vaccinated, after at least 327,000 doses were delivered.​
Mark Drakeford said one of the reasons more of the supply had not been used at once was to prevent "vaccinators standing around with nothing to do".

And people say Johnson is a buffoon...

Running at the front of the pack may not be that much of an achievement when you see things like:

The First Minister of Wales has been accused of a "go-slow" vaccination strategy after he defended the speed of the Covid jab roll-out.​
A total of 88,163 people have been vaccinated, after at least 327,000 doses were delivered.​
Mark Drakeford said one of the reasons more of the supply had not been used at once was to prevent "vaccinators standing around with nothing to do".

And people say Johnson is a buffoon...
"Whose jab is this vaccination?"

(Said in a sing song Terry Griffiths accent.)

Which poll is this. You still haven't said, or provided a link to it so we can evaluate the results for ourselves.

Secondly, you make a statement about Boris' brand being "badly damaged" again without providing evidence of this.

I see no reason why you should be believed on these matters. I mean, if you had real evidence or a real poll, you would have posted the details without being asked,

The stumbling block will be getting the media to tell it. They’ll ignore it and go looking for the next bad news story to beat the government with.

Latest Threads