Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
What about the tens of thousands of people who don't have that as an option as has already been pointed out?
Not an option for me as I live in a terraced house. However Cardiff council are intending to cut a narrow trench in the pavement outside my house (at my expense as I am the first to try this system but future users, if it is approved, will have such channels subsidised) which will have steel edges into which I will be able to drop my charging cable. When this will actually happen is anyone's guess.

At present I charge twice a week at a Cerco charger about 400 yards away. The process is simple, takes about 5 hours, charger availability is on a phone App and as yet it hasn't been blocked by parked cars.

1606008200229.png

Aren't they about 5kW, wired direct to the consumer unit with 32amp fuse.
Not exactly a 13amp socket lead.
Only if you want to have the fast charging option and only wait a 7 hours for a full tank, everyone else 24 hours.

They get on with it now though, instead of sitting around moaning that it cant work.
Let's wait nine years & see if the country has built the necessary infrastructure to allow this to happen shall we?
Or if in nine years EV technology has progressed & the price is reasonable enough to make them attractive to the masses.

Always nice to be ahead of the game. Reading Peter Hitchens column this morning and he pretty much echoed much of my thoughts of the past week or so, on the useless Boris, this Government and Covid.

anglo

LE
Where does all this electricity come from? Mines? Big piles lying in the street?

What is used to generate it? How efficient is that? What environmental damage is done building these generation things? Maintaining them? Transferring electricity from the point of generation to the point of use?

All we seem to be doing is moving the problems elsewhere. We need to be looking at fewer people driving, and a better, integrated, clean, efficient public transport system.

Car and concrete manufacturers and miners of rare metals, start squealing and it's carry on jogging but pay more tax.

To the Mayor and TfL, Taxing every journey matters.

The Rare earth metals used in Wind turbines comes from the most polluted place in the world,
China,
1052x711_cmsv2_d86a1b52-ee7c-5aac-8068-c2d0dc1d5b13-4092704.jpg
773x435_cmsv2_88d34fc5-c407-5ebe-96ab-ddc7d0df3749-4092704.jpg

1052x581_cmsv2_9c5c056a-1285-51e3-adf7-e8ee2bae5ca5-4092704.jpg

Where does all this electricity come from? Mines? Big piles lying in the street?

What is used to generate it? How efficient is that? What environmental damage is done building these generation things? Maintaining them? Transferring electricity from the point of generation to the point of use?

All we seem to be doing is moving the problems elsewhere. We need to be looking at fewer people driving, and a better, integrated, clean, efficient public transport system.

Car and concrete manufacturers and miners of rare metals, start squealing and it's carry on jogging but pay more tax.

To the Mayor and TfL, Taxing every journey matters.
Hey!
We're going green with electric vehicles. All that extra electricity generation will come from wind turbines & solar panels.

Or not.

No, but a trip to the local petrol filling station takes but a few minutes, there are many of them around the country and generally don't affect the non driving population.

Until a recharge takes less than several hours this will struggle to become main stream.

Coupled with this, and I am going to speculate here before the moon howlers start, but the electrical companies supplying energy are, or a rapidly bring, owned by current fossil fuel giants. Once the profits from oil and petrol dry up then watch the cost of renewable energy soar to replace the lost profits. Yes I do have a cynical streak! :)
You forgot to add, HM Chancellor of the Exchequer( even a Green one, God forbid) ain't going to be letting all that fuel duty charge back into folks' pockets...

The Rare earth metals used in Wind turbines comes from the most polluted place in the world,
China,
View attachment 522623View attachment 522625

View attachment 522624
You could almost title those pics something like ,er, I dunno...
How about
'An inconvenient truth'

Eta.
I'll warrant I have more solar panels on my place than most on here put together...

It ain't the panacea.
Living in the sunny north west of England, I simply can't understand why!

anglo

LE
You forgot to add, HM Chancellor of the Exchequer( even a Green one, God forbid) ain't going to be letting all that fuel duty charge back into folks' pockets...

You could almost title those pics something like ,er, I dunno...
How about
'An inconvenient truth'

Eta.
I'll warrant I have more solar panels on my place than most on here put together...

It ain't the panacea.
Living in the sunny north west of England, I simply can't understand why!
It just riles me when people go on about being green, it's bullsh*t of the first order

For those with no drive?

View attachment 522315

@Oops

Capture.PNG

And the disagree for this stock photo is for what?

Allowing cars to park on the pavement?

Allowing ownership of a car in a house with no off street parking?

Allowing parking of a blue Ford Ka outside someones house?

:-?

edit;

And I will take that all back, exept for the Ford Ka part.
:)

Last edited:
@Oops

View attachment 522649

And the disagree for this stock photo is for what?

Allowing cars to park on the pavement?

Allowing ownership of a car in a house with no off street parking?

Allowing parking of a blue Ford Ka outside someone house?

:-?
Profuse apologies...

Fick fums...

It's a fine line between 'disagree' and 'excellent'.

I was going to post a pic of a street in one of Boris' Reddest of Red Wall seats we regularly travel down to the excellent chippy thereabouts.
My young daughter was astonished to the point of
" Do people actually live here?"
Mill/ mining town two up two downs, that now are narrower than some of the vehicles parked outside are long!

Thirty grand leccy chariots are something the milk used to come in, alot of the cars outside need to be priced in the hundreds.
Eta.
My last car, immaculate Discovery2 all singing (all working) £165 plus £180 of brake pipes to get through mot....

It buys alot of diesel/ road tax.
Aunt won a leccy VW Golf in a Telegraph comp.

It's fantastic for their Middle class, Middle England, Retired lifestyle.
I'm not knocking em, even though hydrogen ( and nuclear) is a better long term bet.

Not an option for me as I live in a terraced house. However Cardiff council are intending to cut a narrow trench in the pavement outside my house (at my expense as I am the first to try this system but future users, if it is approved, will have such channels subsidised) which will have steel edges into which I will be able to drop my charging cable. When this will actually happen is anyone's guess.

At present I charge twice a week at a Cerco charger about 400 yards away. The process is simple, takes about 5 hours, charger availability is on a phone App and as yet it hasn't been blocked by parked cars.
I get what you're saying as I live in a terrace house as well, albeit about just under 10 miles north of you!! However, I'm not aware of any charging points at all in our local area. I can see charging points taking off rapidly in the conurbations but a lot more slowly in rural and semi-rural areas. Broadband is a good example of that.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Always nice to be ahead of the game. Reading Peter Hitchens column this morning and he pretty much echoed much of my thoughts of the past week or so, on the useless Boris, this Government and Covid.
Thanks for reminding me...

Latest Threads