Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

chimera

LE
Those PowerPoint slides are getting ever more complicated. What % of the Population actually understands the Science? Having just watched it, I was reminded of some of the mind numbingly boring lectures I used to sit through at HQ Land.
The Beeb had the right idea - Boris and his sidekicks have been booted off, in favour of Strictly Come Dancing - we’re all doomed!
The population doesn't need (or want) to understand the science. They will just parrot what someone says on Mumsnet or Facebook.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The population doesn't need (or want) to understand the science. They will just parrot what someone says on Mumsnet or Facebook.
And if he had not produced the numbers and science then just how loud would the howling be from the media?

And if he had not produced the numbers and science then just how loud would the howling be from the media?
Who don’t understand it either and will bang on about ‘U turns’, incompetence, etc.
They don’t understand that since the quick attack, right flanking, started, the sight picture has changed and a previously unseen threat has been spotted to the right! So it’s, ‘All change, we’ll re-org on the hurry up, then go left.’
Or something like that.

Truxx

LE
Those PowerPoint slides are getting ever more complicated. What % of the Population actually understands the Science? Having just watched it, I was reminded of some of the mind numbingly boring lectures I used to sit through at HQ Land.
The Beeb had the right idea - Boris and his sidekicks have been booted off, in favour of Strictly Come Dancing - we’re all doomed!
In Baghdad each morning we were subjected to the BUA ((battlespace update/assesment). It was a PowerPoint fest but the Iraquis were only allowed to see it, they did not have access to the slides which were incredibly complex. I took time out (I had access to them after the event) to have a tot up. Of the half dozen or so regular update slides the average number of daily changing bits of data was over 400. One hell of a "Kim's Game"

Niamac

GCM
Well I'm singularly unimpressed by the much delayed Downing Street press conference (and the BBC's coverage). It has obviously taken them all day to get their ducks in a row and the two scientists looked as if they would rather be anywhere else. We had slides with the captions cut off and the signing jack-in-the-box obscured much of the legends. Johnson went into his familiar bull-shit barrage. What a way to lead a country.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
An intergalactic level of not botherdness.

You do know everyone can see your ongoing meltdown, don't you?
A poor trolling attempt (D minus, must try harder).

Ok I am surprised, much more than I expected. But the data was quite startling too so I don't think there was anywhere else to go.

The “data” is not startling. Most of what you were shown was projections. As someone who uses similar models in other contexts for a living, I assure you they can tell you anything you want them to.

Oh blow me, the teaching unions want the schools to close again.... shock horror !
Just bear in mind that most of their members (in my experience anyway) think the union leaders are arrogant ********* and are only union members for the legal cover.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well I'm singularly unimpressed by the much delayed Downing Street press conference (and the BBC's coverage). It has obviously taken them all day to get their ducks in a row and the two scientists looked as if they would rather be anywhere else. We had slides with the captions cut off and the signing jack-in-the-box obscured much of the legends. Johnson went into his familiar bull-shit barrage. What a way to lead a country.
What do you want him to say? FFS, we are all affected and he is, according to the data, right to shut down and try and get this virus tamed.

It will be interesting to see if at the end of the month, as students go home for Christmas, if this kicks off yet again.

I think people should be prepared for regular lockdowns until such time as we get a reliable vaccine in to the population and working.

Truxx

LE
The “data” is not startling. Most of what you were shown was projections. As someone who uses similar models in other contexts for a living, I assure you they can tell you anything you want them to.
I don't disagree with what you say about the projections, but there was enough in the data, obviously, to cause a significant change in policy. If there had been any chance of reaching a different policy conclusion you can bet your bottom dollar that's what the modelling would have show.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
On reflection an R number approaching 3 in the North West is quite startling
That'll thin out the population a tad :)

What do you want him to say? FFS, we are all affected and he is, according to the data, right to shut down and try and get this virus tamed.

It will be interesting to see if at the end of the month, as students go home for Christmas, if this kicks off yet again.

I think people should be prepared for regular lockdowns until such time as we get a reliable vaccine in to the population and working.

Nothing against challenging the Govts decisions, but I haven't heard any of the critics come up with anything more convincing.