Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
It will probably end up as a link to be routinely trotted out by those with nothing else to say other than grrrrrr

Lets hope that we have a properly constructed inquiry that establishes whether Russia are actively interfering in U.K. politics and how we are going to stop if it is needed.

Truxx

LE
Lets hope that we have a properly constructed inquiry that establishes whether Russia are actively interfering in U.K. politics and how we are going to stop if it is needed.
Did it occur to you that there are cleverer people than you or I who have dedicated, and will continue, to dedicate every waking hour to both doing exactly that and, more importantly, doing something about it?

Or should we just let the media do it?

Did it occur to you that there are cleverer people than you or I who have dedicated, and will continue, to dedicate every waking hour to both doing exactly that and, more importantly, doing something about it?

Or should we just let the media do it?

I’m sure that those who are taking the time and effort from across the political spectrum to take this to court have thought that through and believe it worthwhile. The media have reported it, not instigated the legal challenge.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think that it is quite as bleak for the Tories as you portray, but they are going to have their work cut out.

It will depend on how long it takes them to see lockdown is a blind alley. As another poster sagely said, lockdown was a one shot option. It's clearly failed to halt the disease, so lockdown 2, lockdown 3 and lockdown n are not going to work either. As I've said before, the only viable option is to protect the elderly and open up the economy. If they do that, they may go into the next GE with the economy in better shape than many countries.

Btw, I agree with you that Johnson isn't going to stick around No.10 for too long.

He's steadily losing the confidence of the party. As you said earlier, BoJo was the right man for Brexit but not Covid 19. The crown prince is Rishi Sunak, who has impressed by his stewardship of the economy. I think he would bring a more realistic pair of hands to the job - and he's certainly been innovative in the treasury. But he needs to inherit soon, because the longer it takes, the less time he has to make an election winning difference.

The Tories are going to make the hard choices that only wartime governments have had to take in the past - who lives and who dies. And the younger generation - who are at minimal risk of dying from Covid 19 - are not going to readily forgive a party that destroys their employment/career prospects for what is proving to be a futile strategy - lockdown.

If lockdown 1 had worked and we had developed an effective track and trace system and a vaccine in the time it brought, the Tories would have been lauded from the rooftops. Instead, they struck out on all three. Now, they're on the cusp of a failure of imagination/leadership that may cost them dear. They need to change course - and soon.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Churchill was willing to confront reality and accept casualties - "All I have to offer is blood, toil, tears and sweat".

Boris seems unable to articulate a similar sentiment along the lines of 'people will die with or without lockdown. Sad as that is we should ensure society functions for the majority while protecting the vulnerable the best that we can'.
Thing is, Churchill did not have a venal media with the scruples of an alley-cat constantly chipping away at anything good and screaming out the least bit of bad!

Johnson and Starmer do not want to confront an essential truth. You can have a functioning economy, or you can have low Covid 19 death rate, but you cannot have both. And that's the failure of leadership - pretending you can have your cake and eat it.

A real leader would have put those alternatives before the country, made a decision as to the course of action and stuck to it, whatever the short term unpopularity.

Before Covid 19 struck, I would have said it would have been Brexit that defined BoJo's premiership - and to be fair, he was making a decent job of it. But now it will be the economic fallout of Covid 19 that will define it. Without a major change of direction, I can see the Tories going into the next GE with debt at 120% of GDP and 2 million unemployed, a position from which the GE will be unwinnable and which will probably consign the Tories to opposition for a decade at least.

And I doubt BoJo will be leading the Tories into the next GE - his earnings took a massive hit once he became PM - no more lucrative newspaper columns and public speaking. It'll probably be Sunak who gets that particular poisoned chalice as I expect BoJo to step down before the end of 2021, saying he's delivered Brexit.

Wordsmith

I'm not convinced he's doing a good job on BREXIT - its more puff and bluster. He's no Churchill and no Trump - both of whom (like Trump or not) are decisive and lead. Boris is more of a slippery diplomat - always the compromise

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It will depend on how long it takes them to see lockdown is a blind alley. As another poster sagely said, lockdown was a one shot option. It's clearly failed to halt the disease, so lockdown 2, lockdown 3 and lockdown n are not going to work either. As I've said before, the only viable option is to protect the elderly and open up the economy. If they do that, they may go into the next GE with the economy in better shape than many countries.

He's steadily losing the confidence of the party. As you said earlier, BoJo was the right man for Brexit but not Covid 19. The crown prince is Rishi Sunak, who has impressed by his stewardship of the economy. I think he would bring a more realistic pair of hands to the job - and he's certainly been innovative in the treasury. But he needs to inherit soon, because the longer it takes, the less time he has to make an election winning difference.

The Tories are going to make the hard choices that only wartime governments have had to take in the past - who lives and who dies. And the younger generation - who are at minimal risk of dying from Covid 19 - are not going to readily forgive a party that destroys their employment/career prospects for what is proving to be a futile strategy - lockdown.

If lockdown 1 had worked and we had developed an effective track and trace system and a vaccine in the time it brought, the Tories would have been lauded from the rooftops. Instead, they struck out on all three. Now, they're on the cusp of a failure of imagination/leadership that may cost them dear. They need to change course - and soon.

Wordsmith
Change course? Maybe you could tell us the best, safest, most economical course he can change on to?

A populist issue like Brexit, full of flowery oratory is a perfect vehicle for his character. Detail and hard done research isn’t his strong point.

Johnson is very much big hand, small map. Tbh, most people are incapable of doing the required level of detail (something which separates the armed forces from civilian strasse), and so they are content to applaud his flights of rhetorical fancy from sidelines. Starmer has been lauded by the MSM for his forensic grasp of detail, but all it is is his lawyer's 20:20 hindsight, and he wouldn't do any better on Coronavirus either. In any case, with Labour now in complete and utter disarray after today's events, Johnson has now got a free pass on both Brexit and COVID-19.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
In any case, with Labour now in complete and utter disarray after today's events, Johnson has now got a free pass on both Brexit and COVID-19.
It's an interesting perception - but maybe in fact Labour are taking the first painful step on the long and difficult road to rebuilding their credibility: at least they realise they've got a problem :)

I'm not convinced by the Free Pass argument but, if true, let's hope the PM puts the last ten months behind him and starts making a decent fist of it.

It's an interesting perception - but maybe in fact Labour are taking the first painful step on the long and difficult road to rebuilding their credibility: at least they realise they've got a problem :)

I'm not convinced by the Free Pass argument but, if true, let's hope the PM puts the last ten months behind him and starts making a decent fist of it.

The free pass is only good until 01/02/21. Watch COVID disappear once we have completely left the EU.

Starmer knew this day was coming, he has done the right thing with Corbyn. Strangely, I think Corbyn might have wanted this, he now gets to have a pitched battle between his faction and the current faction. He was never PM material and revels in being the opposer and wrecker.

The only redeeming factor for Starmer, is that he has 4 years to sort it out.

Starmer knew this day was coming, he has done the right thing with Corbyn. Strangely, I think Corbyn might have wanted this, he now gets to have a pitched battle between his faction and the current faction. He was never PM material and revels in being the opposer and wrecker.

The only redeeming factor for Starmer, is that he has 4 years to sort it out.

Of course, any one of Corbyn's ideological heroes would at this point have simply had him shot.....

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
"For the Conservatives, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has written to Sir Keir, saying he "seemingly found it much harder to find the moral character and backbone to do what was right" while serving in the shadow cabinet under Mr Corbyn."

"For the Conservatives, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has written to Sir Keir, saying he "seemingly found it much harder to find the moral character and backbone to do what was right" while serving in the shadow cabinet under Mr Corbyn."
Is that just the headline :-?

Latest Threads