Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That's part of it, but an increase in fares would mean that there wouldn't be a massive hole in the finances to the point that TfL are a gnat's tadger away from bankruptcy as there would have been extra income. He's already shelved plans that were part of his manifesto to ensure that all LU stations were disabled friendly, he did this a year after getting in, not recently. Obviously, the lack of fare increases leads to a lack of incoming money leading to a lack of infrastructure projects and currently leading to financial ruin unless the Govt bails them out again.
Sorry, but you're wrong there. An increase in fares would only make a tiny dent in the present financial hole; certainly not enough to make a discernible difference to the closeness of bankruptcy. Any prior build up of funds from an earlier price hike would have been expended keeping the service running prior to the first Government bailout, just like the funds that had been built up anyway.

As for the "disabled friendly" Step Free Access programme for LU stations, that most definitely wasn't shelved years ago. In fact the installation of SFA lifts had been going ahead as fast as it practically could until this March (to great expense and little effect for the majority of passengers, but that's another argument). Once Covid is dealt with, the current plan is to start the programme up where it left off, although that very much depends on what cuts have to be made.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sorry, but you're wrong there. An increase in fares would only make a tiny dent in the present financial hole; certainly not enough to make a discernible difference to the closeness of bankruptcy. Any prior build up of funds from an earlier price hike would have been expended keeping the service running prior to the first Government bailout, just like the funds that had been built up anyway.

As for the "disabled friendly" Step Free Access programme for LU stations, that most definitely wasn't shelved years ago. In fact the installation of SFA lifts had been going ahead as fast as it practically could until this March (to great expense and little effect for the majority of passengers, but that's another argument). Once Covid is dealt with, the current plan is to start the programme up where it left off, although that very much depends on what cuts have to be made.
But surely, an increase in fares over the last 4 years would've made a considerable dent in the financial blackhole that TfL now faces? During lockdown, TfL cancelled all fares on buses, nice gesture you might think, but I still had to pay £160 a month to get to work because I use the rail network as well so I, and quite a few others, were still paying into TfL whilst thevast majority of those using buses didn't. Now, I didn't really mind because I'd rather spend 35 mins getting to my destination than 1.5 hrs.
Khan also can't seem to make his mind up what he wants ref the pandemic, at first, he seemed happy enough with the initial restrictions, then he wanted London open again so people could go back to work, then he wanted it closed and now he wants restrictions lifted as the London nightlife is taking a battering.
Whe the election was postponed, the best idea would've been to let Khan leave and have a cross party committee running London, Khan gets a buckshee year in which to run riot instead.

Brexit is done, we have left. Let’s see how the next 10 years go, before we congratulate ourselves.
One only has to look at the last ten years of how the UK has been treated by the EU to start those congratulations now.

That they have finally realised that their bulldozing tactics and 'we are still in control' are not working, further cause for congratulations!!

One only has to look at the last ten years of how the UK has been treated by the EU to start those congratulations now.

That they have finally realised that their bulldozing tactics and 'we are still in control' are not working, further cause for congratulations!!
Matters not that we are may yet leave with no deal, talks will continue up to the final date and if nowt is agreed by then talks will continue until both sides eventually agree to some things, and act on it, and then talks will continue again.

Talks will continue until the fat person can't sing any more.

D

Deleted 174133

Matters not that we are may yet leave with no deal, talks will continue up to the final date and if nowt is agreed by then talks will continue until both sides eventually agree to some things, and act on it, and then talks will continue again.

Talks will continue until the fat person can't sing any more.
We won't need to talk when we afre on WTO.

The rest of world trades seamlessly on such terms.

There will be nothing to discuss

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
But surely, an increase in fares over the last 4 years would've made a considerable dent in the financial blackhole that TfL now faces? During lockdown, TfL cancelled all fares on buses, nice gesture you might think, but I still had to pay £160 a month to get to work because I use the rail network as well so I, and quite a few others, were still paying into TfL whilst thevast majority of those using buses didn't. Now, I didn't really mind because I'd rather spend 35 mins getting to my destination than 1.5 hrs.
Khan also can't seem to make his mind up what he wants ref the pandemic, at first, he seemed happy enough with the initial restrictions, then he wanted London open again so people could go back to work, then he wanted it closed and now he wants restrictions lifted as the London nightlife is taking a battering.
Whe the election was postponed, the best idea would've been to let Khan leave and have a cross party committee running London, Khan gets a buckshee year in which to run riot instead.
Afraid not, any money made by increase of fares would have been used to continue paying for the organisation in its previous structure; due to Khan's ticket price freeze most of TfL has been forced through massive restructuring and cost cutting exercises (to the detriment of efficiency and effectiveness of many areas, arguably including Crossrail)

The free buses thing you mention is minor in comparison to the cash-bleed of LU at the moment, and of course Khan has to buy the voters again so there you go.

As to "Khan can't make his mind up", IMHO Khan has definitely made his mind up: he wants to keep on being mayor and he will say or do anything which makes that more likely - the pandemic is a very secondary concern, hence the flip flopping following what he and his team think Londoners will hate least. Sadly, it's very likely he'll succeed and London will be stuck with him for another four years.

Your final suggestion I disagree with on practical grounds. IMHO delaying the election was the right thing to do; the last thing that was needed in the middle of this sh1tshow was setting up a cross-party committee to run things, as I guarantee that would have been far more disfunctional than leaving the Khant in charge.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Afraid not, any money made by increase of fares would have been used to continue paying for the organisation in its previous structure; due to Khan's ticket price freeze most of TfL has been forced through massive restructuring and cost cutting exercises (to the detriment of efficiency and effectiveness of many areas, arguably including Crossrail)

The free buses thing you mention is minor in comparison to the cash-bleed of LU at the moment, and of course Khan has to buy the voters again so there you go.

As to "Khan can't make his mind up", IMHO Khan has definitely made his mind up: he wants to keep on being mayor and he will say or do anything which makes that more likely - the pandemic is a very secondary concern, hence the flip flopping following what he and his team think Londoners will hate least. Sadly, it's very likely he'll succeed and London will be stuck with him for another four years.

Your final suggestion I disagree with on practical grounds. IMHO delaying the election was the right thing to do; the last thing that was needed in the middle of this sh1tshow was setting up a cross-party committee to run things, as I guarantee that would have been far more disfunctional than leaving the Khant in charge.
I somehow doubt that, he's turned vast parts of London, with the help of the local Boroughs, into vast car parks. In the area I live (just off the South Circ A205) , all side roads have been closed of from being rat runs, meaning that a 10 minute bus trip now takes over 30 mins, all in aid of pollution control, yet his little scheme is causing more pollution as the cars have to wait that much longer to gain access to the South Circ, instead of using the side roads.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I somehow doubt that, he's turned vast parts of London, with the help of the local Boroughs, into vast car parks. In the area I live (just off the South Circ A205) , all side roads have been closed of from being rat runs, meaning that a 10 minute bus trip now takes over 30 mins, all in aid of pollution control, yet his little scheme is causing more pollution as the cars have to wait that much longer to gain access to the South Circ, instead of using the side roads.
As you may have guessed I'm not the biggest fan of the Bus driver's son and I believe he has done untold damage over his time in office, but IMHO in the chaos of lockdown, the last thing needed was a totally avoidable transition of power, especially to a fcuking committee. Have you ever seen a committee of politicians, especially a cross party one, try to make a decision? Even Khan is preferable in the short term.

We won't need to talk when we afre on WTO.

The rest of world trades seamlessly on such terms.

There will be nothing to discuss

Go on then, tell us all which countries trade seamlessly only on WTO terms.

Yarra

Old-Salt
View attachment 514222

Anti Lockdown Maureen voted for Boris and the Conservatives. She doesn't blame Boris but thinks he needs to grow a pair "sort his head out" and has some choice words for Hancock and the scientists.

“I don’t want to be Prime Minister. Boris has been shackled by scientists and Matt Hancock – I think Boris needs to get his head together.

I voted Conservative and I don’t blame Boris for this.

I blame the people around him, especially Hancock. I think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and he’s been influenced by professor Whitty.”

I'd like to hear what she says about them in private.

“In my lifetime I am 83 – I never thought I would feel like I was in Italy when Germany invaded. This is a free country for God’s sake – or I thought it was”

Anti-Lockdown Granny Tracked Down: I Don't Want to be PM
Btw, the informative was for Maureen, not you. No offence.

So what?

It seems Johnson lied to Parliament, which is a Resignation matter for anyone with any dignity...

Righto... Clearly the Prime Minister should resign based on that bombshell from such an authoritative organ of impartiality.

The London Economic, an ‘independent’ rag that:
  • still advertises itself as “free independent journalism” and
  • continues to ask their readers for donations and paid subscriptions despite being owned by Greencastle Capital Ltd which is itself owned by Linton Capital LLP
  • was supportive of Jeremy Corbyn
  • is supportive of Keir Starmer
  • took a pro-Remain standpoint on the 2016 EU referendum
says the prime minister lied to parliament? Quelle surprise there then eh?

Do you not imagine the MSM would have been all over it? Is this something only TLE had the ability to uncover?

*In April 2020 the venture capital firm, Greencastle Capital Ltd acquired a controlling 51% stake in the London Economic. Greencastle Capital Ltd is a technology and media investment vehicle and was set up by and is wholly owned by Linton Capital LLP.

:oops:
296.jpg
TheReallBB.jpg

Righto... Clearly the Prime Minister should resign based on that bombshell from such an authoritative organ of impartiality.

The London Economic, an ‘independent’ rag that:
  • still advertises itself as “free independent journalism” and
  • continues to ask their readers for donations and paid subscriptions despite being owned by Greencastle Capital Ltd which is itself owned by Linton Capital LLP
  • was supportive of Jeremy Corbyn
  • is supportive of Keir Starmer
  • took a pro-Remain standpoint on the 2016 EU referendum
says the prime minister lied to parliament? Quelle surprise there then eh?

Do you not imagine the MSM would have been all over it? Is this something only TLE had the ability to uncover?

*In April 2020 the venture capital firm, Greencastle Capital Ltd acquired a controlling 51% stake in the London Economic. Greencastle Capital Ltd is a technology and media investment vehicle and was set up by and is wholly owned by Linton Capital LLP.
Gosh.

Took a pro Remain stance.

Wow, you must be furious.

Because I'm nice, here are articles from a variety of sources saying the same.

Wine, the aqueduct, a codified system of law..

But apart from that...

Last edited:

Latest Threads