Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

endure

GCM
You do remember Derek Hatton, didn't he do something like this in Liverpool back in the eighties when the Hard left wanted make a point. Does anyone remember Derek Hatton? Reality is that Global Britain isn't Just Manchester.

I remember him making council employees redundant by taxi. He went on to become a property developer...

Joe_Private

On ROPS
On ROPs
I remember him making council employees redundant by taxi. He went on to become a property developer...
That would never happen nowadays. For a start, it'd be redundancy via WhatsApp group chat, and there would be no need for a second career as a capitalist, as all the momentumites with any power are already independently financially secure.

You're missing the point of 'vanity' : if you change that with 'pet project' you might get it. It is something she wanted so pushed through regardless. It was not so much to look good but she thought it was good so it happened regardless of any doubts.
It’s a thing about words with me. I think I grasped that it’s fundamentally what politics is about. I can’t really judge May as HS as I retired within a year and she didn’t really affect my job within UKBA . I had suffered a succession of Labour ministers since 1997 at both treasury and HO. I have say demoralisation which is infinitely worse than incompetence.

It’s not just deputies..
“The report noted that Greater London Authority (GLA) office spending under Khan had dramatically increased from £240m in 2016-17 to £767 in 2020-21 – a 320 per cent rise.”

Worse than that is...He's spent all the money and, achieved nothing !

I remember him making council employees redundant by taxi. He went on to become a multimillionaire property developer in Cyprus (no dodgy money there at all)...
FNC

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
An outbreak of sanity in the government - although months late.

Staff will be banned from working in more than one care home in an attempt to halt the spread of coronavirus. It follows concerns repeatedly expressed by Government scientists that outbreaks within the sector are "seeding" infections across whole communities, with agency workers singled out.

Give that it was identified month ago that care worker working in multiple care homes were a vector speeding Coronavirus among the most vulnerable in our society, it beggars belief that the government is only acting now, with infection rates rising.

The care home sector is reacting predictably.
But care home chiefs warned that the ban could backfire, forcing some homes to close entirely amid widespread staff shortages. The sector is heavily dependent on agency workers, with a quarter of staff on zero-hours contracts.

What the f--- are the care homes playing at? The number of people in a care home tends to be relatively static, meaning that staff demand is also fairly static and predictable. Which - on paper needs you should only need to employ the occasional worker on zero hours contracts.

Could it be something to do with the care homes maximising their profit by avoiding paying holiday pay, etc?

Yet, they're raking it in. Private care homes charge between £1,000 - £2,000 a week to look after someone.

The use of zero hours contracts in agency workers in care homes - irrespective of Covid 19 - is another Augean stable that needs clearing out.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And here's where another outbreak of sanity is required in the government.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion...l-debt-intolerable-burden-future-generations/
Amid the deluge of often mind-boggling statistics accompanying the Covid outbreak, one is especially startling. The national debt of the UK has surpassed £2 trillion. In the past six months it has risen by £260 billion as vast amounts of taxpayers’ money have been thrown at increasingly forlorn efforts to hold back the march of the virus. For the first time since the early Sixties, the national debt is greater than 100 per cent of GDP.

The country is spending money it can't afford - especially considering there is a an alternative to the present lockdown insanity - protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us get on with life.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/almost-starting-think-whole-pandemic-really-conspiracy/
The average age of someone who dies from coronavirus is 82.4, which, by the way, is nearly identical to the average life expectancy in Britain (81.1). Surely it is people in this segment of society we should be focusing on protecting
And
In the first week of October, there were 91,013 cases of coronavirus reported in England and Wales, and 343 Covid-related deaths. That same week a total of 9,954 people died from various causes. Of those, just 4.4 per cent of the death certificates mentioned Covid-19.
And
About 50 millon people die each year worldwide. Some deaths are preventable, others not. Over the course of 2020, this pandemic has claimed 1.1 million lives; most of whom were elderly or already ill. Heart disease kills 17 million annually; cancer 9.6 million. Respiratory diseases, including bronchitis, pneumonia and emphysema take 2.5 million lives a year.
So Covid 19 is a relatively minor killer in the wider scheme of things, many of the people it kills have underlying health conditions that would have killed them soon or would have died of old age in the near future; shielding is what's needed, not lockdowns.

As scientists outside of the decision making tent have repeatedly shown statistically, the current strategy is weapons grade stupidity. What has happened is both the government and its scientific advisors have f---ed up royally and are desperate to avoid admitting their mistakes. So are holding to the same stupid course so they don't have to admit to having made a major error.

Unfortunately for them, the tide of critical articles in the media pointing out the above is steadily rising - and when the inevitable move to shielding happens the government will suffer massive reputational damage while many of the scientists advising the government will hit the career buffers.

Wordsmith

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And here's where another outbreak of sanity is required in the government.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion...l-debt-intolerable-burden-future-generations/

The country is spending money it can't afford - especially considering there is a an alternative to the present lockdown insanity - protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us get on with life.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/almost-starting-think-whole-pandemic-really-conspiracy/

And

And

So Covid 19 is a relatively minor killer in the wider scheme of things, many of the people it kills have underlying health conditions that would have killed them soon or would have died of old age in the near future; shielding is what's needed, not lockdowns.

As scientists outside of the decision making tent have repeatedly shown statistically, the current strategy is weapons grade stupidity. What has happened is both the government and its scientific advisors have f---ed up royally and are desperate to avoid admitting their mistakes. So are holding to the same stupid course so they don't have to admit to having made a major error.

Unfortunately for them, the tide of critical articles in the media pointing out the above is steadily rising - and when the inevitable move to shielding happens the government will suffer massive reputational damage while many of the scientists advising the government will hit the career buffers.

Wordsmith
It’s a wicked problem. Had we adopted your plan everyone would be howling that we’ve put money before lives.

MaureensMusings.png

Anti Lockdown Maureen voted for Boris and the Conservatives. She doesn't blame Boris but thinks he needs to grow a pair "sort his head out" and has some choice words for Hancock and the scientists.

“I don’t want to be Prime Minister. Boris has been shackled by scientists and Matt Hancock – I think Boris needs to get his head together.

I voted Conservative and I don’t blame Boris for this.

I blame the people around him, especially Hancock. I think he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and he’s been influenced by professor Whitty.”

I'd like to hear what she says about them in private.

“In my lifetime I am 83 – I never thought I would feel like I was in Italy when Germany invaded. This is a free country for God’s sake – or I thought it was”

Anti-Lockdown Granny Tracked Down: I Don't Want to be PM

Last edited:
Duty rumour around certain Capital based subterranean transportation offices is that TfL may be removed from Mayoral interference responsibility and placed under Department for Transport stewardship, whether this is as part of a Covid funding deal, or just a general wish to be done with the bus driver's son is a debatable point.
Spite.

You do remember Derek Hatton, didn't he do something like this in Liverpool back in the eighties when the Hard left wanted make a point. Does anyone remember Derek Hatton? Reality is that Global Britain isn't Just Manchester.
Yeah, I know.

Guess that mildly humorous meme has triggered you, inter alia...

TfL is in a rut because Khan stated that he wouldn't increase fares during his tenure and tbf, he hasn't, but it has left TfL with a massive shortage of cash. Kids bus fares need to be reintroduced, there's too many of the little fat ******* getting on for just 2 stops (normally around 300-400yds), munching away on chips/fried chicken,/Maccy Ds when they could be getting the exercise needed. Bring back the "live more than 2/3 miles away from school" policy to get a free bus pass.
Nothing to do with the collapse in passenger numbers, then...

Interesting to note that Woeful Johnson has admitted track and trace isn't good enough.

Guess its not world beating then, which will annoy some.

PCCs are paid for from the rates. Ours in Dorset is Martyn Underhill, a failed copper who has achieved nothing since being elected, apart from appointing himself a well paid deputy, several other staff, and annoying the Devon and Wiltshire forces by messing around over a potential merger.

Value added nil. Money spent, millions.

I was wondering if you were going to tell me, why he is a failed copper in your opinion?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
LuL are a railway.
Railways held in private hands get subsidies (and still charge much monies).
Would be interesting to have figures on £ per passenger, per mile etc
TfL was self funding, but LU was the only profitable part of TfL prior to lockdown, which bankrolled the rest of it. Khan's stewardship has been dire, raising congestion charge and ULEZ charge to the point of preventing anyone who isnt on six figures running a car, and presiding over the Crossrail delays whilst denying responsibility.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nothing to do with the collapse in passenger numbers, then...
That's part of it, but an increase in fares would mean that there wouldn't be a massive hole in the finances to the point that TfL are a gnat's tadger away from bankruptcy as there would have been extra income. He's already shelved plans that were part of his manifesto to ensure that all LU stations were disabled friendly, he did this a year after getting in, not recently. Obviously, the lack of fare increases leads to a lack of incoming money leading to a lack of infrastructure projects and currently leading to financial ruin unless the Govt bails them out again.

Latest Threads