Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
More Public money pissed up the wall - just like Police and Crime Commissioners. When Rishi starts working out how he is going to pay for all this, that’s two areas he can save a few bob.
Disgraceful waste of money.
PCCs are paid for from the rates. Ours in Dorset is Martyn Underhill, a failed copper who has achieved nothing since being elected, apart from appointing himself a well paid deputy, several other staff, and annoying the Devon and Wiltshire forces by messing around over a potential merger.

Value added nil. Money spent, millions.

PCCs are paid for from the rates. Ours in Dorset is Martyn Underhill, a failed copper who has achieved nothing since being elected, apart from appointing himself a well paid deputy, several other staff, and annoying the Devon and Wiltshire forces by messing around over a potential merger.

PCC's another vanity project of Theresa May. The women is/was a serial incompetent.

They replaced police authorities which funnily enough worked very well until TM got involved.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The whole concept reminds me of the Police Commissioner in 'The Simpsons'. Corrupt, biased and no more about Justice than Peter Rabbit is about cooking.

Why is he a failed copper?

Weymouth born so I have great sympathy. 17 years ago I made the massive move to (just inside) Cornwall, no difference, our PCC Alison Hernandez was elected under a cloud and remains in office. It's a ridiculous waste of money. I wonder how many will be re-elected?

Some very relevant discussion to matters ongoing. It's recorded so don't worry about the 6pm bit.

Description:

On this week's Live with Littlewood, we'll be discussing how we chart a course through the winter of discontent. What next for local shutdowns, and should the government offer these regions greater financial support? Is a No Deal Brexit on the cards? And why have Millennials fallen out of love with democracy? On the panel:
William Clouston, Leader, Social Democrat Party
Dr Stephen Davies, Head of Education, Institute of Economic Affairs
Matt Kilcoyne, Deputy Director, Adam Smith Institute
Tim Montgomerie, Founder, ConHome, UnHerd and the Centre for Social Justice
Brian Morgan, Professor of Entrepreneurship, Cardiff Metropolitan University Emma Revell, Head of Public Affairs, Institute of Economic Affairs
Allie Renison, Head of EU and Trade Policy, Institute of Directors
Cindy Yu, Broadcast Editor, The Spectator

Some very relevant discussion to matters ongoing. It's recorded so don't worry about the 6pm bit.

Description:

On this week's Live with Littlewood, we'll be discussing how we chart a course through the winter of discontent. What next for local shutdowns, and should the government offer these regions greater financial support? Is a No Deal Brexit on the cards? And why have Millennials fallen out of love with democracy? On the panel:
William Clouston, Leader, Social Democrat Party
Dr Stephen Davies, Head of Education, Institute of Economic Affairs
Matt Kilcoyne, Deputy Director, Adam Smith Institute
Tim Montgomerie, Founder, ConHome, UnHerd and the Centre for Social Justice
Brian Morgan, Professor of Entrepreneurship, Cardiff Metropolitan University Emma Revell, Head of Public Affairs, Institute of Economic Affairs
Allie Renison, Head of EU and Trade Policy, Institute of Directors
Cindy Yu, Broadcast Editor, The Spectator
Eight people sounds a lot for something like that.

Professor Brian Morgan has a good track record behind him.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Appointed by the Mayor from his list of Chosen Ones, here's the list of present favourites:-
Seems I was mistaken earlier, good old faithful Heidi is on £132,000+ as are most of the Mayoral team.
Bloody ridiculous waste of money and talk of “a job for the boys”, and girls and some others nowadays.
Anyhow I digress, The UK economy is now, I’ll write this as I don’t know quite how many zero’s to put, two trillion pounds in debt! Fecking hell and Starmer wants another national lockdown.
I ts was nice To see Boris put Burnham put back in his box the lefty git. As for Starmer he’s a dangerous one, but Boris has the making of him.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bloody ridiculous waste of money and talk of “a job for the boys”, and girls and some others nowadays.
Anyhow I digress, The UK economy is now, I’ll write this as I don’t know quite how many zero’s to put, two trillion pounds in debt! Fecking hell and Starmer wants another national lockdown.
I ts was nice To see Boris put Burnham put back in his box the lefty git. As for Starmer he’s a dangerous one, but Boris has the making of him.
There is method in Khan's appointing so many deputies. If there wias only one then that is the person looking to replaced the incumbent Mayor; if there are several then he plays them all off against each other and is safer!

Typical insecure politician.

There is method in Khan's appointing so many deputies. If there wias only one then that is the person looking to replaced the incumbent Mayor; if there are several then he plays them all off against each other and is safer!

Typical insecure politician.

How many deputies are there? Because I mean at £132,000 a pop, I can see that soon adding up. Having just ten costs us £1.3mil.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Last edited:
How many deputies are there? Because I mean at £132,000 a pop, I can see that soon adding up. Having just ten costs us £1.3mil.
It’s not just deputies..
“The report noted that Greater London Authority (GLA) office spending under Khan had dramatically increased from £240m in 2016-17 to £767 in 2020-21 – a 320 per cent rise.”

Team London

I don't know if the deputy mayors have deputies or assistant mayors but bung in a slack handful of mayoral advisors, commissioners and ‘directors of’...

... adds up to quite a payroll.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Team London

I don't know if the deputy mayors have deputies or assistant mayors but bung in a slack handful of mayoral advisors, commissioners and ‘directors of’...

... adds up to quite a payroll.
I wonder how many are actually elected - not many I guess. Still Lindonistan under this Mayor is an entity to itself and does not seem to acknowledge the rest of the UK - except when it needs more money.

I wonder how many are actually elected - not many I guess. Still Lindonistan under this Mayor is an entity to itself and does not seem to acknowledge the rest of the UK - except when it needs more money.
From Wikipedia...

A Deputy Mayor is a member of the London Mayoral cabinet, in the executive of the Greater London Authority, of which the Mayor of London may appoint up to eleven.
Number elected then... precisely nil.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I said ages ago, when the lockdown first came into effect and the election for London Mayor had been postponed until 2021, that Khan, with another year of free reign, will leave a "scorched earth" scenario behind when he finally gets the elbow, judging by the TfL fiasco, it seems I could be right.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I said ages ago, when the lockdown first came into effect and the election for London Mayor had been postponed until 2021, that Khan, with another year of free reign, will leave a "scorched earth" scenario behind when he finally gets the elbow, judging by the TfL fiasco, it seems I could be right.
Not really, he's likely to be re -elected ( >20% lead at last poll), so you can put the cluster down to incompetence rather than malice.

PCC's another vanity project of Theresa May. The women is/was a serial incompetent.

They replaced police authorities which funnily enough worked very well until TM got involved.
Well it's hardly vanity then is it? That makes you look good. This doesn't do that. The plain fact is that if you want to hold the Police to account that's the CC's job, in a position that is supposed to owe nothing to Politics; or fear or favour, at least that's what the constable's oath says. So it's not necessarily incompetence- that implies some form of competence-which she hasn't got. She worked in a bank prior to getting elected. So she has no LE experience other than knowing where Bangladesh is cos of her Geography BA. What do they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". Holding Police to account for their actions sounds good, believe it or not that's what courts are for- where's Rumpole when you need him?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well it's hardly vanity then is it? That makes you look good. This doesn't do that. The plain fact is that if you want to hold the Police to account that's the CC's job, in a position that is supposed to owe nothing to Politics; or fear or favour, at least that's what the constable's oath says. So it's not necessarily incompetence- that implies some form of competence-which she hasn't got. She worked in a bank prior to getting elected. So she has no LE experience other than knowing where Bangladesh is cos of her Geography BA. What do they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". Holding Police to account for their actions sounds good, believe it or not that's what courts are for- where's Rumpole when you need him?
You're missing the point of 'vanity' : if you change that with 'pet project' you might get it. It is something she wanted so pushed through regardless. It was not so much to look good but she thought it was good so it happened regardless of any doubts.

Latest Threads