Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters

TamH70

MIA
Official government statistics on Covid 19 related deaths.

Here's the English ones.

View attachment 512327

We're seeing nothing like the rate of deaths back in April. We've got better at dealing with the disease

And here's the daily deaths for the last 5 days - from a population of 65 million. And some of those are not definitely identified as due to Covid 19.

View attachment 512330
It's a tiny percentage of the population.

Perhaps people had better start looking at the numbers and trying to understand them?

Wordsmith

Yeah.

About that numbers thing?

I've already lost someone in the family due to Covid.

Maybe people need to look behind the numbers.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah.

About that numbers thing?

I've already lost someone in the family due to Covid.

Maybe people need to look behind the numbers.

Firstly - I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father last year, so I know something of what you are experiencing.

However, there are other sources of loss as well; people will lose their jobs over the coming months - and at worst case their houses will be repossessed.

And the number of non-Covid deaths is rising due to curtailed treatment, plus people are living in pain due to cancelled operations.

The government has a thankless task - there are no right answers. But I suspect the economic consequences of this will be with us for at least one and possibly two generations: 50 years to get the UK's sovereign debt back under control. We are spending money we don't have at the moment - and trashing the economy just stores up bigger problems for the future.

The government has to take the long term view and try and do the right thing for both the current situation and for future generations.

Wordsmith

I knew someone who died. He had other health issues. I have a relative with a serious and progressive condition who if they catch it, it will very likely finish them off. They have been shielding. The former was in an old folks home. RTE in Ireland had a reporter at a hospital talking with a nervous sounding nurse. What was remarkable was the change in tone and calmness when she was putting on PPE. Back in the corridor though, social distancing, her voice was again sounding higher and nervy. They have 800 beds and something like 20 dedicated to Covid or suspected CV19 patients. This ward seemed to impart a sense of dread and there was an expectation of rising numbers.

In the UK Hancock says it is deadly. It is deadly for some. He had it. It hasn't killed him yet. There has been an increase in reported cases or suspected cases. There has also been an increasing number of tests. What about the rise in critical cases? The graph below was taken from official gov't figures.

1602777717967.png

Snowy.

Clanker
That London Real podcast host Brian Rose is running for London Mayor... the Yank who interviewed David Icke about the 5G conspiracy bollocks....:rolleyes:

ACAB

LE
Ah, so you do not want to discuss how BoJo has left the EU on WTO then............

Sorry to bother, but read this in the media.

So is this lock down dispute between Johnson and Burnham about money or civil liberties and being forced to go under lock down again? Will your plod actually enforce this new round of restrictions or will it just kinda be a shrug of the shoulders and let the citizenry figure it out?

Apologies but this article left me with more questions then answers.

So is this lock down dispute between Johnson and Burnham about money or civil liberties and being forced to go under lock down again? Will your plod actually enforce this new round of restrictions or will it just kinda be a shrug of the shoulders and let the citizenry figure it out?

Burnham and Starmer want a lockdown but Burnham refused unless a lot of money was made available. Starmer wants national lockdown but hasn't said how it should be paid for. The previous shadow chancellor was more interested in a Maoist cultural revolution than economics. He was in charge of economics when the Greater London Council failed financially.

Burnham and Starmer want a lockdown but Burnham refused unless a lot of money was made available. Starmer wants national lockdown but hasn't said how it should be paid for. The previous shadow chancellor was more interested in a Maoist cultural revolution than economics. He was in charge of economics when the Greater London Council failed financially.
So just a politician whining because he didn't get the amount of money he wanted, not giving a hooting hell about the people who live in said location and the impact a lock down would have them. Is the population of Manchester onboard with being locked down for an extended period of time again?

More Burnham's long term political game plan? For a start reelection in May 2021.

So just a politician whining because he didn't get the amount of money he wanted, not giving a hooting hell about the people who live in said location and the impact a lock down would have them. Is the population of Manchester onboard with being locked down for an extended period of time again?
Selective polls and stats might be referenced in the media but phone in's to Talk Radio suggest many business owners think another lockdown will put them out of business. A former nurse was dismissive of the claims about beds as she used to manage them. On the other hand there was a left leaning former actor blaming the Tories for everything he could think of between breaths. Shielding the vulnerable makes sense. Localised restrictions makes sense, if that is the way to take the pressure off, but it surely only delays the spread rather than stops it.
Andrew Neil and others have been looking at the stats, particularly deaths. The increasing number of cases is cited as a reason to lock down but the number of deaths seems to be the same as it usually is.

Some hospitals are providing operations and treatment for cancer and other urgent cases but some have been cancelling them, with unfortunate change in prognosis resulting.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

And yet...

There is no sign of a second coronavirus wave, experts have said as new Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures showed that deaths are just 1.5 per cent above the five-year average and tracking on a normal trajectory for the time of year. Although Covid deaths rose to 438 for the week ending October 9 – an increase of 36 per cent from the previous week, when the figure stood at 321 – overall deaths rose just 143 above the five-year average. There were also 19 fewer overall deaths than in the same week last year.

You can see it in this graph - which has been cribbed from the ONS website.

1603214648287.png

I bookmarked the ONS website some weeks back as a more reliable source of data than the MSM.

The fact is, people are adapting to cope with the virus. Hospitals are no longer stupidly discharging people to care homes without testing, care homes I suspect have curbed their workers from working in multiple care homes, there is more PPE available and so on.

I exercise discretion - if the place I want to go into is crowded, I don't go into it. I wear a facemask as required and carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser.

For all the hysteria in the MSM, this second wave bids fair to be far less destructive than the first. More destructive are the politicians - they seem incapable of reading simple graphs like the above.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads