Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
PMBJ vs ExPMTM - Note Hancock was one of the abstainers. Interesting. Whips seem to have kept order but the list linked below may be worth watching in terms of allegiances between now and May 2024.
1601421429642.png

Now onto the Lords. Stay tuned for the Tory rebels…
UPDATE:
Guido understands Theresa May avoided voted against the bill and abstained
UPDATE II: No Tories voted against the bill, the list of non-votes:
Internal Market Bill Passes Final Commons Stage with 84 Majority - Guido Fawkes

1601421511217.png

1601421761973.png

Theresa May's Glaring International Law Hypocrisy - Guido Fawkes

YAWN My Armed Forces Pension is tax exempt due to medical retirement, but you are too idle to research that possibility and make idle assumptions.

This is what I explained to the belter, who was yelping about State Pensions.

Look up the rules on university on leaving the Army and you would see the bit about not having to pay if you meet the criteria

I explained to the belter that it appeared you were at University, I never mentioned anything about payment of said course.

Given both points above, I will make another idle assumption. What are you doing at Uni, because your English comprehension skills are abysmal.

I think you need to demand a refund on your critical thinking app.

That might be the least of his problems.

So thick that he could not work out that I was actually backing him up.

Chimp

ADC
I think that he was a chef att to The Scots Guards. Not fair on that count.
Thanks for that - and thank the lad for his service. It was just his tone was off...

V cunnus densissima.

How droll

You could have tried English

It would appear that he** is at Uni at present.

I see no mention of State Pension in his comment. His** pension might be a disability pension ( Tax free at present ) or a pension below the tax threshold. ( Tax free at present )

No need to come back and apologise - It's not your fault you struggle to read plain English.

Of course that’s very true. Here, though, the apprenticeship route does offer a greater chance of immediate employment at the end, especially in the trades.
When my daughter was looking for an apprenticeship, I got her to speak to the two young, female chimneysweeps who come to check our chimneys and flues every year - a legal requirement. That’s a job for life and when you consider they also have to certificate central-heating systems as well, quite technical.
In the event, daughter opted for a 3-year apprenticeship in business administration which she has just completed. She is very intelligent and was perfectly tri-lingual before she started the course, she just didn’t want to go down the university route.
Having said that, her results both academic and work-related were good enough that, if she now wanted to, she could take a degree course in 2 years instead of 3.
As it is the company offered her a full contract which started the day after her apprenticeship with them ended at the end of August, as No 3 in the logistics department, and she’s pulling down equiv of £2,800 / month net.
Her classmates at college are all in much the same boat with their respective companies/employers.
That’s where I think Boris’ speech hit the mark, but the UK has a very long way to go to get rid of the ‘University or Bust’ route and the whole system has to be rethought.

Exact circs for my daughter too. Now 25, didn’t want to go to 6th form then uni, took an apprenticeship in Business a Admin. Now working for what was the local housing authority earning decent money & being put through accountancy exams by her employer.
Unlike many of her friends who have degrees that are worth SFA, have debt & no real prospects...

We need to get back to Uni’s, Polytechnics & apprenticeships alloffering courses/training that will offer careers & employment, not just made up drivel that serves no one any value.

Exact circs for my daughter too. Now 25, didn’t want to go to 6th form then uni, took an apprenticeship in Business a Admin. Now working for what was the local housing authority earning decent money & being put through accountancy exams by her employer.
Unlike many of her friends who have degrees that are worth SFA, have debt & no real prospects...

We need to get back to Uni’s, Polytechnics & apprenticeships alloffering courses/training that will offer careers & employment, not just made up drivel that serves no one any value.
Exactly. My daughter is 24. En route in her apprenticeship she also picked up locksmithing: she can construct a security lock from components, and she is adept at some of the, ahem, more arcane skills of the trade.
While her apprenticeship was not in logistics - a different trade - the company offered her the post in that department to improve her skills ( and, ultimately, her CV).
In October, they are sending her off on a four-day fork-lift operator’s course and a three-day storage and handling of gases course - all excellent quals.
In addition, she has been tasked to mentor a couple of the new apprentice intake and, early next year, is being sent on a course to qualify, formally, as an Apprentice Tutor.
So she has all that, plus all the business admin side, accountancy etc.
Throughout she has been paid at the proper, Govt-mandated rate and her training both at the firm and in college have been properly monitored by the authorities.
She’s very happy and so are we.

Now working for what was the local housing authority earning decent money & being put through accountancy exams by her employer.

In October, they are sending her off on a four-day fork-lift operator’s course and a three-day storage and handling of gases course - all excellent quals.

Well done those employers.

A number of issues that need to be addressed, hopefully by this Government

1. The profits above everything else mantra.

2. The culture of cheap labour. Invest in your employees, by getting them crossed trained / qualified in areas that are beneficial to your business.

3. The Labour induced culture of University for everyone. Mag to grid, not everyone wants to be a Tefal heid.

4. Vocational training should be a joint responsibility venture of both Government and Business.

I hope you are reading Boris, or the contents are being relayed to you and Sunak - Now hop to it, pronto

Can I just put this here...
Not an apprenticeship but I left home at 17, A levels done while living in a bedsit. Couldn't afford Uni as needed to pay rent etc and no available intake time for army so took first job I could. Plymouth City Council. After 6 months probation transferred to Devon County as a trainee land surveyor. Later moved to Hereford and Worcester, a police force and a building society. Each put me through day release/distance learning from ONC through to degree and post graduate diplomas. I am eternally grateful to those far sighted employers, managers and bosses who mentored and put up with me whilst I learned and made mistakes and the opportunities they opened up and I am also grateful for Plymouth College of Further Education which is still going as Plymouth College. Sadly, Birmingham Poly became University of Central England as I graduated so I got a Uni rather than Poly certificate and Reading Uni was just that.

Going to university now seems to be a "rite of passage" and expectation and just delays the process of finding a job. We still need forklift drivers, chimney sweeps and administrators and I am glad there are still employers training people at the sharp end to do a job and progress in a career with work AND life skills.

(edited to add - looking back I've met some total w*nkers but also blessed to know some really good people. I'm on this site because recruiting office in Plymouth talked me out of joining regs at 19/20 (Mayflower Street had RAF, Army, Navy and you could literally go from one to the other). I'd done all the tests, suitable for commission etc in RN and army (Didn't consider RAF). The army recruiting sergeant sat me down over tea and told me I had a nice job, nice flat, nice car, nice life in Plymouth - why give all that up to live in a barracks when I could join this lovely sponsored TA unit and if I liked it I could join the regs, if I didn't, well, nothing lost except a little of my time. So, I'm also grateful to that sergeant as I had many years with the TA / Reserves but that's another story)

Last edited:
This is what I explained to the belter, who was yelping about State Pensions.

I explained to the belter that it appeared you were at University, I never mentioned anything about payment of said course.

Given both points above, I will make another idle assumption. What are you doing at Uni, because your English comprehension skills are abysmal.

That might be the least of his problems.

So thick that he could not work out that I was actually backing him up.
Of course.

2. The culture of cheap labour. Invest in your employees, by getting them crossed trained / qualified in areas that are beneficial to your business.

3. The Labour induced culture of University for everyone. Mag to grid, not everyone wants to be a Tefal heid.

4. Vocational training should be a joint responsibility venture of both Government and Business.

I hope you are reading Boris, or the contents are being relayed to you and Sunak - Now hop to it, pronto
As you say, well done the employers. My feelings precisely.
In my daughter’s case, the big boss - a hell of a nice bloke - and, indeed, all the management staff - came up through the business administration or management apprenticeship side: not a degree in sight, but a vast amount of experience and excellent leadership.

ETA: It may well be relevant, (actually, I’m sure it is!) but the company doesn’t waste money on an HR department.
Department heads deal with all that side of things and he, the big boss and senior partner, is the ultimate arbiter.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE

As a business I could employ half a dozen folks and a couple of apprentices tomorrow.

The single reason that I don't is that the minute I do I drown in immeasurable beaurocracy.

So any move away from tertiary education needs to be matched by real and proper support from those organisations and businesses taking up the vocational slack.

As a business I could employ half a dozen folks and a couple of apprentices tomorrow.

The single reason that I don't is that the minute I do I drown in immeasurable beaurocracy.

So any move away from tertiary education needs to be matched by real and proper support from those organisations and businesses taking up the vocational slack.
The thing is, here in CH, apprenticeships are considered as tertiary education and treated as such.
There’s the major difference.

Truxx

LE
The thing is, here in CH, apprenticeships are considered as tertiary education and treated as such.
There’s the major difference.
Unfortunately here it is more like going to college with a bit of work experience thrown in. It has been hijacked by the "educators"

Latest Threads