Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Can you not type "yes" or "no" then sockie?

Try not to eat them this time:
1601325400857.png

Chimp

ADC
You have an app?

Right.
No I tend to think critically. Something you seem to be incapable of, hence the hint.

Truxx

LE
No I tend to think critically. Something you seem to be incapable of, hence the hint.
You very funny guy.

I will kill you last.*

*for the avoidance of doubt this is a quip, not a serious intent.

Anyone out there needing a leg up in the critical thinking department need look no further than half a dozen @Chimp posts.

No, really.

1. Control your borders - if you are controlling the spread of the disease internally, the last thing you want is infected people coming in from abroad to start new infection vectors.

Not exactly possible for the UK under the current circumstances of still being attached to the EU

2. Recognise that the elderly are at greatest risk and prioritise protecting them.

The elderly are certainly at greatest risk of dying from this virus, but they are at the greatest risk of dying anyway, one of the things that is inherent in growing old. Is it really possible to protect them ? Short of rounding them all up and shipping them to some sterile safe space, it is not realistic.

3. Try and avoid build ups of people in confined spaces - that's the fastest vector for spreading Covid 19

How is this even possible ? Define a confined space ? Major cities in the UK, London, Birmingham etc, are confined spaces, which are grossly over populated IMO. What do you do with those cities, empty them ?

( The owners / management of small confined spaces such as shopping centres etc, are responsible for ensuring that point 3 happens, not Johnson )

4. Ensure people maintain social distancing, wear face masks and use hand sanitiser

Again, how is this even possible ? You cannot legislate for utter mutants, who think they know better.

IMO, Johnson has 3 options, until such times as a viable vaccine / treatment is invented / discovered.

1. He can keep trying to manage the virus, which will result in changes of direction as the situation is fluid. Which will continue to result in howls of Boris Grrrr.

2. He can say, the UK is open for business as usual, get on with it. Which will result in increased cases and deaths. Which will results in howls of Boris Grrrr.

3. He can lock down the UK completely, including all points of entry, businesses, households with only emergency services ( Police, Fire Service, Medical ) allowed on the streets. Which will result in the total collapse of the UK. Which will result is howls of Boris Grrrr.

Last edited:

Chimp

ADC
I will kill you last.
I quite liked that - almost amusing. However, had I written it this is all you would probably have focussed on. If anything happens to me you can expect a knock.

Out of interest are there any moderators out there who have a view on threats to kill. I hasten to add I don’t feel in the slightest threatened, but even in jest this goes somewhat a little far?

From a compassionate perspective @Truxx may need help as he does appear to be delusional at times. #justsaying

Wordsmith said:
2. Recognise that the elderly are at greatest risk and prioritise protecting them.

Apols for coming back to this @Wordsmith, just read this.

Last week a group of 32 scientists, including Carl Heneghan, a professor of evidence-based medicine at Oxford university, published a letter advocating a targeted approach.

However, a rival group, led by Prof Trisha Greenhalgh, another leading Oxford academic, published its own letter arguing against quarantining by certain groups.

If the scientists cannot agree, what hope is there of Johnson coming up with a plan and sticking to it ?

Truxx

LE
I quite liked that - almost amusing. However, had I written it this is all you would probably have focussed on. If anything happens to me you can expect a knock.

Out of interest are there any moderators out there who have a view on threats to kill. I hasten to add I don’t feel in the slightest threatened, but even in jest this goes somewhat a little far?

From a compassionate perspective @Truxx may need help as he does appear to be delusional at times. #justsaying
I may be delusional but have yet to resort to an app for critical thinking.

If you think my jest goes too far then you need to get back to mumsnet.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I may be delusional but have yet to resort to an app for critical thinking.

If you think my jest goes too far then you need to get back to mumsnet.
Dunno about mumsnet but he's joining my ever-longer ignore list. I recommend this approach to everyone. Deprived of an audience he may well disappear up his own fundament, from which he speaks so tediously.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

If the scientists cannot agree, what hope is there of Johnson coming up with a plan and sticking to it ?
Look at the Histories of the scientists and their political leanings. That can often explain why they disagree.

I have learned that there is left wing science and right wing science. I am sure there wasn't in the 70s, it was just science.

Look at the Histories of the scientists and their political leanings. That can often explain why they disagree.

I have learned that there is left wing science and right wing science. I am sure there wasn't in the 70s, it was just science.

A very fair and valid point GRB.

I cannot recall left wing Bunsen burners or right wing beakers and test tubes either.

I like it.

Sobbing without being too teary, but with just the right size snot bubble to convey the exact depth of hurty feely.

Plus a bonus cry for Mod tyranny to rain down on the miscreant's head in a veritable storm, and the the gloriously ludicrous veiled suggestion of a mysterious "In The Event Of My Death" letter.

A well-earned lip-trembling 7/10 from me.

Last edited:

Wtf!? o_O

Bearing in mind that the "threat" was taken from a film one-liner, you appear to be over-reacting. I suspect you might be one of those who seek to ban "Othello" and "The Merchant of Venice" because of marital violence or racial stereotyping...... or ban "Delilah" because the poor lass in the song got stabbed to death.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Given that the scientists can't agree, all Johnson has to do is apply common sense, come up with a plan that agrees with the basics - for example that the elderly are more vulnerable - and stick to it. He will be supported by at least some of the scientists. And, providing his plan is visibly common sense, probably the majority of the public.

The elderly are certainly at greatest risk of dying from this virus, but they are at the greatest risk of dying anyway, one of the things that is inherent in growing old. Is it really possible to protect them ? Short of rounding them all up and shipping them to some sterile safe space, it is not realistic.

If you've ever been to a care or nursing home for the elderly, you would know you don't just walk in (or out). Entry is by keypad, the number only being known to the staff. Ditto dementia or geriatric wards on hospitals - you have to be buzzed in by staff.

So the isolation is already there. What is required is enhanced protection. Simple example I've given before: (a) stop staff working in multiple care homes and (b) test them on a daily basis. This is a logistics problem, not a medical one - the required means of isolation are already there.

Wordsmith

If you've ever been to a care or nursing home for the elderly, you would know you don't just walk in (or out). Entry is by keypad, the number only being known to the staff. Ditto dementia or geriatric wards on hospitals - you have to be buzzed in by staff.

So the isolation is already there. What is required is enhanced protection. Simple example I've given before: (a) stop staff working in multiple care homes and (b) test them on a daily basis. This is a logistics problem, not a medical one - the required means of isolation are already there.

Jeebus

This is absolutely astounding.

1. Did you miss all the care home scandals ?

2. Do you really think that the vast majority of over 65's / 70's are in care homes ?

3. There is still too many unknowns with people who are asymptomatic.

You sir, appear to have lost the plot.

Given that the scientists can't agree, all Johnson has to do is apply common sense, come up with a plan that agrees with the basics - for example that the elderly are more vulnerable - and stick to it. He will be supported by at least some of the scientists. And, providing his plan is visibly common sense, probably the majority of the public.
I thought that was exactly what the government, under Boris Grrr, was doing and still getting castigated by those expecting miracles :rolleyes:

Latest Threads